Gibson Brands Forums

What is the most highly over-rated and under-rated acoustic guitar brand?????

onewilyfool

For me, the most highly over-rated acoustical guitar brand is Taylor...just never found one I like.....one good thing about them is the Necks....they are very comfy, dead flat, no buzz, and their best attribute, that and flawless fit and finish. I just can't get the sound...., and the most under-rated is Recording King...great kick for the buck!!! Very good fit and finish, a little stiff and tight, but a great guitar for the money.

I think Epiphones are under-rated. I've owned several (two at this time) and I've enjoyed all of them. And the Masterbilts are often "killer" guitars.

I think BlueRidge is under-rated. I think they're the equal of any of their import competitors. I also agree with the comments made above in regards to Recording King.

For me, Taylors are over-rated. I don't and won't knock the quality of a Taylor, but I just can't feel any warmth when I play them. I hang-out with guys who wear blue jeans and tee-shirts and gals who cuss, so a Gibson is part of the scene. I play a lot of Cash and some David Allan Coe and go to bluegrass jams where Martins and Gibsons show-up in numbers. Maybe if I went to Toga parties I'd like the Taylor sound. Besides, taking a Taylor to some of the places I play would be like taking a knife to a gunfight.

• Like 1

For me, the most highly over-rated acoustical guitar brand is Taylor...just never found one I like.....one good thing about them is the Necks....they are very comfy, dead flat, no buzz, and their best attribute, that and flawless fit and finish. I just can't get the sound...., and the most under-rated is Recording King...great kick for the buck!!! Very good fit and finish, a little stiff and tight, but a great guitar for the money.

I agree with almost everything you said except the buzzing.....I don't think I've ever played any Taylor that the B string didn't buzz, from a mini to the high-end models. In fact, a local tech who works mainly on Taylor's says he's found that a lot in Taylors. Something to do with the way the nut is cut. It's an easy fix but shouldn't have to be done on any new guitar.

Underrated - Seagull S6. The basic one, no-frills, and they generally need to be tweaked. Mine, a deeply discounted shipping-damaged example required filing on nut slots, then actually gluing the nut down, as well a some serious truss rod adjustment - but the reward has been a sound all out of proportion for its price.

Overrated - sorry, but I'm gonna go with lots of folks and comment on Taylors. The 815C rosewood cutaway jumbo I used to own was cosmetically nice enough in a precise kinda way, but it was overbuilt, frankly heavy, and took a lot of work to drive the top. The deciding factor for me was the neck - nice enough if you play lots of electric, but too thin for me, no shoulders, uncomfortable when played for hours, and prone to making my forearm cramp up.

I think Epiphones are under-rated.

Bingo....

I didn't know this until I bought my daughters EJ200. Man, what a cannon, and great player. I'd like to have my own if she ever moves out and takes it. [biggrin]

And.

I played a Taylor I liked, a little cedar Grand Concert. Quick little booger, I'd like to own it, but obviously not enough to shell out the $....

I have a Yamaha FS720S inexpensive guitar that I keep at work. For a $250 guitar it is really nice. Perfect fit and finish. Perfect intonation even as you capo up the neck. And while not complex in tone, it actually might be a near perfect recording guitar.

I think Yamaha is very under-rated, especially at their lower price points.

Sadly, my singing and playing is not under-rated:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=097KABh3JOw

I think Epiphones are under-rated. I've owned several (two at this time) and I've enjoyed all of them. And the Masterbilts are often "killer" guitars.

You are right--underated and often killer. Superb value, too.

I guess I don't usually think of them as underrated, since I think so highly of them. I forget that in some circles, they would not be top of mind if you asked about acoustic guitars.

Evidence of my Epi-love:

252xj.jpg

Red 333

The only real way to do this is resale value. I do not like Taylors but that does mean they are over-rated. Just means I don't like them.

Under-rated. I would say Guild. These are some of the best sounding and built guitars on the planet and yet lag way behind others like Gibson and Martin in terms of resale value.

Over-rated. In a way I think much of the stuff made by companes like Gibson, Martin and Taylor is over-rated, meaning I am confident I can find as well built and as good a sounding guitar for less money.

I guess I don't usually think of them as underrated, since I think so highly of them. I forget that in some circles, they would not be top of mind if you asked about acoustic guitars.

Since as early as 1966 Epiphone was adding some $3 million a year to Gibson's coffers I would say you are not alone.

My best bargain in a guitar though remains an Epi - my 1950s FT-79. It sat around a small music store for about a year so does seem to have garnered much attention. I ended up getting the thing dirt cheap. Even after having some cosmetic work done, my total investment in this guitar is about 1/3 of what the VPG gives as the low value.

Difficult to argue against Taylor being overrated ...

It's a slick machine and well marketed. It's about the only excuse for their success. I'd like to like them, but simply never played one that I would consider at less than half the price. Not really a critic of what they do, I simply know they're not for me.

My question for those naming Taylor as the most Over-rated guitar on the planet is how many of you have owned a couple of them.

I'll freely admit I've never owned one, but played more than a few, a mate likes them so have tried his, have tried shop ones, have tried the budget jobs and the pricier ones. As I said above, no real damning critique of them, they're just not to my taste in sound and in modern looking appointments, so I'd never go down that road.

I guess I should never say 'never' but I would be awfully surprised if I did...

Each brand has overrated models, but not sure one can honestly say an entire brand is overrated. I owned a Taylor 814ce tobacco burst. It was gorgeous and it sounded phenomenal unplugged. I traded it because I was dissatisfied with it's built-in electronics (Expression System).

An underrated model in the Martin line up for me is the SWOMGT (smartwood OM gloss top). One can find them used for around $800 and they are killer deals.

Epiphone does provide good value for the money, both electric and acoustic.

My philosophy in buying guitars has mostly been to buy quality guitars without over-the-top bling (such as D-28 or J-45 models). With bling comes higher prices, then you may be getting into territory where the cost/benefit doesn't add up for me. Then again -- I bought a SJ-200 [tongue].

Taylors over-rated? hmm.. (personal opinions are allowed still right?) respectfully disagree with this.

IMHO, they're excellent acoustics. Everyone likes what they like, right... These work for me.

I can tell you from the experience with the two I've bought, the factory setup is about as perfect as you can find on the planet. My favorite one is my GS Series, (GS=Grand Symphony). It's a great sounding guitar and it plays great. Not a dead spot anywhere up / down the neck.

Gibson acoustics are voiced quite differently. But not all taylor body shapes sound the same way. The GS doesn't have that top end bite that the cutaways tend to have (I can hear that in my 314CE for sure, - but it's not off putting for me). But just to say, I do know what you're all getting at here.

I know you guys adore your Gibson acoustics, that's cool I get it -- after all, it is a Gibson forum, I just don't agree with this "over-rated" thing,, but - hey, you're all allowed to hate the guitars I love! [thumbup] it's cool!

For underrated, for me, it's a tie between Recording King and Eastman. Eastman's are the MOST underrated when I consider value for the dollar spent and the more I play the ones I own the more impressed I am with everything about them. My Recording King RNJ-25 is turning out to be one of the most fun guitars to play that I own. I play my guitars in rotation equally and sometimes I hesitate to give the Recording King its turn but every time I play it I'm just amazed at what it can put out and how effortless it is to play.

As for overrated I'm not sure I have enough experience with enough guitars to make a judgement. I play in the vicinity of a lot of Collings and they've all sounded great but every time I pick one up it always strikes me as being heavy and although that has nothing to do with the tone it just creates a little tick. I've been around some Taylors too and liked how they sounded when played by someone else but they elicit zero desire to own one. And, oddly, sometimes I think my J-50 is overrated because the Gibson tone is such an acquired taste for me, even to this day. It certainly isn't my best guitar but I just love to play it and I love how funky it can be at times and how it also makes me want to rock and roll with it. I don't know how else to explain it.

Taylors over-rated? hmm.. (personal opinions are allowed still right?) respectfully disagree with this.

IMHO, they're excellent acoustics. Everyone likes what they like, right... These work for me.

I can tell you from the experience with the two I've bought, the factory setup is about as perfect as you can find on the planet. My favorite one is my GS Series, (GS=Grand Symphony). It's a great sounding guitar and it plays great. Not a dead spot anywhere up / down the neck.

Gibson acoustics are voiced quite differently. But not all taylor body shapes sound the same way. The GS doesn't have that top end bite that the cutaways tend to have (I can hear that in my 314CE for sure, - but it's not off putting for me). But just to say, I do know what you're all getting at here.

I know you guys adore your Gibson acoustics, that's cool I get it -- after all, it is a Gibson forum, I just don't agree with this "over-rated" thing,, but - hey, you're all allowed to hate the guitars I love! [thumbup] it's cool!

I don't think anyone but you said anything about hating Taylors.

Under rated? Every early 60's and older Xbraced Goya/Levin I've ever owned. Not being in a position to accumulate guitars though, I've had to 'Sophie's Choice' 'em all out to have my favorite old Gibson and Martin models.

Over-rated based on price? Gibson's Jackson Browne line.

I would posit that most of us raised on bold dreads like Martins and Gibsons have probably been unimpressed by the Taylors we came upon because they just didn't seem to have the "oomph" or depth we were accustomed to. I've got a good friend who owns a Taylor 712 or 714 (can't recall which) and it is a pretty sweet guitar for fingerstyle. But beyond that guitar, I've not played a Taylor that I'd take home. I can see why people more accustomed to playing electric guitar -- with their thin necks -- might get into playing Taylors. When you play a really good Martin or Gibson, though, your life becomes a quest to find a guitar that matches that sound and Taylors have never done that for me.

And I believe some Epiphones are underrated and don't get the respect they deserve. The IB'64 Texan I have has really blossomed into a very fine guitar, with a sound that far exceeds what I'd expect for a guitar at that price.

I know the Recording King and Blueridge guitars I've heard at jams at bluegrass festivals have also been impressive for the money. Everybody turns out a clunker from time to time, but they seem to have hit on a fairly consistent formula for making a nice guitar.

When it comes to resophonic guitars, I am of the opinion that Republic Guitars, out of Texas, are very underrated.

Under-rated, definitely the Seagull S-6. It is a very nice sounding and well made guitar, short scale to boot, somewhat slope shoulders too. I think some models Gibson distributes can be overrated, not worth the prices on some of them. Martin also for the same reasons (like the signature models). As far as the Taylor debate, I have always recognized they are quality made and great sounding guitars. They don't sell a ton of them because they are crappy instruments. However, I too have never had a desire for one, and mostly because of the neck; felt too much like an electric guitar. THEN, I went in to a store here in Virginia Beach and found a Grand Concert Built to Order with a redwood sinker top and rosewood back and sides. Because it is a small body guitar it does not have that Martin rosewood body woof woof sound. It is bright and with a beautiful ring to it. The neck was stained and finished gloss as is the Martin and Gibson guitars. Slotted headstock, short scale, ebony binding...... It is a beautiful playing and sounding guitar. It is THE perfect "couch guitar" (and I have two LG-2s). Would I ever buy another Taylor, no. Most likely not. This one is very unique and because it is a BTO there is not another one like it. Would I buy another J-45 True Vintage, call me crazy but yes!

Somebody mentioned the Taylor GS. I was pretty much of the opinion that Taylors did not interest me at all (and this is after having owned a 110 dreadnaught), then a while back I was in a store and picked up a GS (if memory serves, it has been a while). I was really surprised. It did not sound like the typical Taylor. It had more depth and warmth to the sound. It was the first time I had heard a Taylor that sounded like that. I have not sought one out since, but would be open minded if one came my way.

I have to say that I think that Collings guitars are over-rated. Maybe not the most over-rated guitars in the world, but I don't think they live up to the hype and price tag. They are impeccably built, I will give them that, but their sound always leaves me cold. I have played quite a few of them, and always have the same impression. Not really sure what it is about them that I don't care for, but I don't envy those that own them.