Gibson Brands Forums

NGD 2013 Gibson LG-2 Mahogany Banner

bram99

Yesterday was a pretty good day for me...well the fun really started on Thursday when I got an email from Jim at Guitar Showcase in San Jose CA simply stating... "DUDE it's here!!!" ..That is a whole other story about how the last two guitars I have bought from Guitar Showcase have been among the best buying experiences I have ever had for any product. This has been a quest for me that began when I read Kalamazoo Gals by John Thomas, as well several threads on this forum where John shared pictures and talked with tpbiii (Tom) about the 139 x-braced LG-1 mahogany topped banner produced in 1942/3. I instantly became enamored with that little guitar and when it was first identified on this forum as an upcoming custom shop model I knew I wanted one. Between then and now, I even had the self discipline to return a lovely Keb Mo L-00 that I got for a bargain price to clear the space for this (code for placate wife). This mahogany topped LG-2 guitar came into existence out of John's generosity. He made his vintage Gibson Mahogany LG-1 (and other banner guitars) available to Gibson to replicate, so others could have a chance to experience something similar. I do not know how much this guitar captures the original (the finish is obviously lighter), ...regardless I feel fortunate to have it ...in part because of what it is as a guitar, but also because it is something that is part of that story.....Thank you very much John.

I'll cut to the chase....here are some of initial observations....

LG-2 Body with Mahogany Back Sides and top. The overall finish is called Antique Natural (same as LG-2AE I think) which gives the guitar an overall golden brown look. It is still very blonde looking because of the cream bindings and wider than normal rosette and purfling. The back and sides really are similar in color to the LG-2AE, but the top looks a little browner and a little darker than the back and sides. This may be just due the top piece having a different grain pattern. The finish is really thin and much of the open mahogany grain is just visible. As this thing ages and the finish cures in, it has the potential to look like a really old guitar. I am not sure if the mahogany will darken over time but i hope it does. Pick-guard location? ...yes!

The guitar has the Gibson 1.725 width, but it has what the Gibson rep described as a "war time rounded fat C shape". I would describe the neck as being somewhere in between the J-45 TV and the Keb Mo in shape, but noticeably thicker than either...The profile subtly changes up and down the neck from a noticeable soft-V near the nut and first 5-6 frets that gradually reduces in sharpness to more C-shaped. This neck is as thick as that on the recent ES-330VOS, but with stepper shoulders and more of a V. It is really nice. I like the relic'd open back tuners with black knobs ( I think they are the Golden Age #2500-B from StewMac).

The guitar sounds lovely...I will give you all more details and try to figure out how to post a sound clip later....

Here are some pics....

Lg-2Banner01_zps89d73611.jpg

Lg-2Banner02_zps9b5e0adc.jpg

Lg-2Banner07_zps3082b986.jpgLg-2Banner08_zps855c73d2.jpgLg-2Banner09_zpse074a31c.jpgLg-2Banner06_zpsae8c8299.jpgLg-2Banner04_zps8dc09631.jpgLg-2Banner05_zpsc26e3df5.jpg

Congrats!! Really nice looking guitar!!! Those tuners are PERFECT for the look. And REAL Mahogany....not Sapele!! Look forward to the sound samples....and Ditto about Guitar Showcase....Great staff, and amazing stock, not to mention the Owner's private museum of great guitars!!!

Sunlight is what darkens Mahogany....if you leave it out where non-direct sunlight can hit it...it will darken!!!

I just love seeing all these new LGs! The build quality of the LG-2 AE I received two weeks ago is superb, and I'm guessing this one is the same. Gibson is really on a nice roll.

Personally, I much prefer a lighter shade of mahogany & think yours looks perfect the way it is.

In conjunction with the multi-ring rosette, to have the pickguard in it's proper placement is frosting on the cake!

Congrats!! Really nice looking guitar!!! Those tuners are PERFECT for the look.

Just a wonderous looking guitar. Congrats!

The only thing though I would change are the tuners. That guitar screams for a set of scallop-end bent tab tuners like the originals had.

Great looking guitar!

I love my 43' all mahagony LG-2!

Just a wonderous looking guitar. Congrats!

The only thing though I would change are the tuners. That guitar screams for a set of scallop-end bent tab tuners like the originals had.

Looks the tuners are straight from Stew Mac.

Wow!

Congratulations.

Being a mahogany top lover small guitar, I am speechless. It looks like I went to bed last night a bit tired and left my 59 Gibson LG3; 58 Gibson LG0; National M14; and my Martin 000c-15e out of their cases and they did a bit of the wild thing............

And then this morning there is this what I would call an LG7 all mahogany Gibbo!

Beautiful.

BluesKing777.

There IS something about all mahogany guitars!!!Gotta love 'em!!!!

Wow!

Congratulations.

Being a mahogany top lover small guitar, I am speechless. It looks like I went to bed last night a bit tired and left my 59 Gibson LG3; 58 Gibson LG0; National M14; and my Martin 000c-15e out of their cases and they did a bit of the wild thing............

And then this morning there is this what I would call an LG7 all mahogany Gibbo!

Beautiful.

BluesKing777.

I have a few questions.

I tried to look this guitar up on the Gibson website, but nothing there. If custom orders are no longer, did this one just appear out of thin air? Ordered before the custom orders were cancelled?

Back door productions?

Specs? Price? Details?

NADA.

BluesKing777.

John, do you know more about the reissue of your SJ. The details and price of that one interest me very much?

Lars

Lars,

Gibson hasn't communicated with me about the project since returning my guitars. So, I now get information the same way you do: on this forum. A while back, someone here posted information that the replicas (limited to 50 guitars) of my SJ will be available this fall. But, again, I've not had an email inquiry returned in a very long time.

Interesting, to put it nicely. I recently instituted a project with another leading acoustic guitar company (a guitar for James Burton as part of the Buddy Holly Educational Foundation that I formed). That has been a very different experience. The company's CEO and founder has communicated with me directly, courteously, and efficiently. A very different experience from that of the Banner Gibson project.

Here is our original LG-1 from 1942.

1942LG-1a_zpsc1f7970e.jpg

1942LG-1b_zpsd406356b.jpg

It is interesting that they called it an LG-2 after John Thomas made such a big deal of proving it was called an LG-1 when he and Willi Henkes found it referenced by name in the Gibson shipping records.

42lg2front.jpg

Best,

-Tom

Archived