Gibson Brands Forums

Do you Only Buy Gibson?

jw3571

You may have seen from my other post that I'm gassing pretty bad for a J200 Custom. I already have a Hummingbird, AJ, as well as a Taylor 618. I've been also considering a Martin D41 but that J200 seems pretty sweet. Do you guys stick with only Gibson or do you branch out to other brands?

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I think my signature line, which is in need of a serious update, shows I don't buy just Gibson. Last week I moved a New Hartford Guild Jumbo and my J-45 Standard to finance a Martin D-35. When I bought my J-200 a couple years back, I tried every 600 series Taylor I could find just to make sure that the J-200 and the Gibson sound was the maple guitar that I wanted, and it was.

Have had several Martins, and still have a D-28, but got bit hard by the Gibson bug (5 Gibson's since '06). However my most recent acquisition is one of these fun little guys....

http://www.gretschguitars.com/products/index.php?partno=2704000503

Gretsch G9500 Jim Dandy...I bought it on a lark a week ago to take on ski vacation (no snow) and I am just loving it....$150

I like and own guitars made by other brands but have more Gibson acoustics than any other brand and tend to prefer Gibsons for their sound and their neck and fretboard shapes. They get most of my play time and I plan to buy more Gibson acoustics.

Acoustics.......Gibson, Martin, Larrivee. Electrics.....Fender, Fender and Fender. I've tried just about every maker out there, except for the REAL high end guitars, and these are the ones I've settled on.

No. Actually just bought my first Gibson in 40+ years of playing. It's been mostly Martin, Guild, and a few others. Never could bond with Gibson acoustics until I played the new J-35. Now I'm considering the J-15 or J-29.

DC

Like Jerry K, I own more Gibsons than any other - four at present. In a lot of ways I think I am just used to Gibsons having played them for decades. But since I tend to buy older guitars I also feel safe with Gibsons in the sense that I know enough about them not to get in trouble.

'Been chasing a sound for years. Unfortunately, it's a hard thing to do when the sound the ear wants to hear keeps (hopefully) evolving. Seems to be narrowing in on a sound that short scale Gibsons do so well. So for now, it's all about well played-in Gibsons and old Gibson by-products.

Since the OP mentioned a recent gassing over a J-200 Custom and possibly a D-41, I'll add that a few years back I was big on Martins. Happened to a/b my soon-to-be-set-free D-41 next to an Epiphone EJ-200 I'd bought out of sheer curiosity. The Epi's quality of materials and build quality may've been no match for the big Martin dread. However, the Epiphone had more low end clarity (a function of it's super jumbo displacement and maple construction?), where the '41 had the rich rosewood overtones everywhere else. So hopefully OP can compare the rosewood J-200 Custom to that D-41 in the same sitting. What is heard might help getting past that next fork in the road.

OK, this is 97% about electrics, but as can be seen in my signature, exactly half of my guitars and basses are Gibsons. The other half mainly consists of Fenders. There also are Ibanez, Weimann, Epiphone, Suzuki, and one cheap but US made Applause roundback, my only hollowbody.

Archived