Gibson Brands Forums

For the muliple-guitar owners...

larryp58

For sentimental reasons the Kay would stay

IMG_0231_zps975659b8.jpg

Electric wise is more difficult of a choice. I like my Tele's & LP but today it would be this Chet. I have a vintage Chet in the shop that may take it's place.

IMG_0285_zps0b2dadff.jpg

A very tough one indeed. Acoustic - either my Martin D-41 or Southern Jumbo. If it came down to it, I would have to have several Scotch's and play them both until someone came to pick the loser up. I would be more than fine with either. Electric - my 1979 Strat/Natural Finish. However, if I had to limit myself to 2, I would sell the electrics and keep the two below.

IMG_0274_zps2b7f3a4a.jpg

A year ago, I would had said the Mart. D-35, no doubt.

Now, to my own surprise and wonder, it probably would be the re-necked, top/top-braces-modified 1966 Country Western.

But only one is harder than hard. .

The1966CWafterneckchange.jpg

Notice the soundhole has been moved a little back as well.

This friend answers all my calls and most of my prayers. But no guitar without a weak spot and in this case it's a tendency for a minor boom of blur in the mids. (Haven't tried 11's yet)

I can't really hear it when just playing, but when coming straight from the 2012 H-bird, which is so wonderfully defined, one sense it the first minute or 2.

Then why not pick the Bird. It's a hair quieter and doesn't have the vintage sub-flavour. Let's see in a couple of years. . .

As there are many here, myself included, if you had to narrow down to just ONE acoustic and ONE electric, which guitars would remain in the stable?

These 2 would do. A Gibson J-15 and Orville Les Paul Custom. Tho, i plan on getting the Orville fixed up with the original gold pickup covers and black pickguard soon, it rocks insanely hard the way it is.

0012_zps503c7cdf.jpg

If you throw my wife into the equation it gets tough with acoustics. She has for as long as I can recall played one guitar only - a 1960 J-200. She has absolutely no desire to replace it or even own a second instrument. So if she has a say all of my acoustics would be toast.

Left to my own devices the electric is an easy choice - the Supro D6S.

SuproD6S001_zps9c6d54ba.jpg

Tougher with acoustics as it comes down to two. I am head over heels in love with both and finding another one would be a hard row to hoe. If you put a gun to my head and said "pick one now Boy" it would have to be my 1942 J-50 - the one that left the factory with a burst to cover up the fact that one of the book matched top pieces was mistakenly flip flopped.

GibsonJ-45001_zps2e8f80e0.jpg

Well, we moved away from electrics some years ago, but we have some.

We have a few Gibson electrics -- 67 SG JR, 62 Melody Maker, 84 ES335S -- but they don't get much use. I guess I would say one of these -- not great stage guitars, but nice for playing holiday music. 68, 67 and 67. It certainly make a nice picture.

coronadas_zps4fe579cd.jpg?t=1412518724?589

35 & 36

spotandaj.jpg

Is the Orville Gibson-made, , , or another brand named after the founder of Gibson.

Just curious -

Yes, for 10 years Gibson had a brand called Orville and Orville by Gibson made in Japan. I think from like 89-99. Some people have said they are similar to high end epiphones but mine is unreal. the pickups were so hot it rattled the windows on my 2 watt amp. The only difference ive heard between my custom and real 3k one is the pickups tho mine has these japanese PAF clones that are really loud.

You can find orville and orville by gibsons on ebay for 800-1200 ish. The orville by Gibson is supposed to be slightly better because its made at the Fuji jen plant which they say made the best gits in japan just about. Still, mine rocks, i own it and a Gibson lp studio and the pickups in my orville sound hotter than the studio. Its a heavy beast tho, a real backbreaker.

Yes, for 10 years Gibson had a brand called Orville and Orville by Gibson made in Japan. I think from like 89-99. Some people have said they are similar to high end epiphones but mine is unreal.

Aha, , , good to know - and a splendid name-idea for a branch-brand. Yes, some ex'es are just outstanding.

I have a 'gunshaped' Shure PE54 microphone, which I bought as a young man. It simply blows every other rehearsal vocal-mic through the back-wall. .

Don't change those pick-ups.

Aha, , , good to know - and a splendid name-idea for a branch-brand. Yes, some ex'es are just outstanding.

I have a 'gunshaped' Shure PE54 microphone, which I bought as a young man. It simply blows every other rehearsal vocal-mic through the back-wall. .

Don't change those pick-ups.

Check this out Gibson lp Custom vs Orville lp Custom

The Gibson pickups sound abit brighter and modern to my ears but i dont mind, i love my paf clones in the orville.

Would be the Aaron Lewis SJ for me, its just got it all.

Good to see you around, EA.

"As a Gibson guy I have to say I love the (H)D-35. Great guitar ".

. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .GibbyPrague Jan. 2011

Can you still be quoted for that line. .

Archived