Gibson Brands Forums

What do you guys use for oiling the fretboard?

onewilyfool

If I really want to take the time and do it right for long term, the I use pure, raw linseed oil.

a quicker but almost as good fix is bore oil (clarinet type, not the gun cleaner).

those lemon oils really aren't that good. heck, they aren't even lemon oil! just a cheap petroleum product with lemon scent added. If it's not good, then why do all of the shops sell it as fretboard conditioner? Because it doesn't last and you will have to come back and buy more.

the "lemon oil" and most of the oils advertised for guitar fretboards work well... but don't stay in the wood and last. the board will dry out again soon. that's why I use/ suggest something better like the raw linseed or bore oil.

-Keith

If I really want to take the time and do it right for long term, the I use pure, raw linseed oil.

a quicker but almost as good fix is bore oil (clarinet type, not the gun cleaner).

those lemon oils really aren't that good. heck, they aren't even lemon oil! just a cheap petroleum product with lemon scent added. If it's not good, then why do all of the shops sell it as fretboard conditioner? Because it doesn't last and you will have to come back and buy more.

the "lemon oil" and most of the oils advertised for guitar fretboards work well... but don't stay in the wood and last. the board will dry out again soon. that's why I use/ suggest something better like the raw linseed or bore oil.

-Keith

Keith, the problem I see with raw linseed oil is that it can remain sticky, attracts grime, and can darken the wood over time. I would think boiled linseed oil would be a better choice, if you were to go that route, although boiled linseed oil will also darken the wood, and can build up on the surface over time.

Most of the "fretboard conditioners"--including the Planet Waves Hydrate I use--are some petroleum distillate for a delivery/drying vehicle, with some added plant or seed oils of one form or another.

A high-grade woodwind bore oil is probably not a bad choice, although it is designed for a somewhat different job on an instrument that absorbs a lot of expelled human mouth/lung moisture when you play it, unless the inside is oil-sealed. I think the best bore oils are refined nut or seed oils--basically high-grade cooking oils, rather than mineral-based oils.

Keith, the problem I see with raw linseed oil is that it can remain sticky, attracts grime, and can darken the wood over time. I would think boiled linseed oil would be a better choice, if you were to go that route, although boiled linseed oil will also darken the wood, and can build up on the surface over time.

Most of the "fretboard conditioners"--including the Planet Waves Hydrate I use--are some petroleum distillate for a delivery/drying vehicle, with some added plant or seed oils of one form or another.

A high-grade woodwind bore oil is probably not a bad choice, although it is designed for a somewhat different job on an instrument that absorbs a lot of expelled human mouth/lung moisture when you play it, unless the inside is oil-sealed. I think the best bore oils are refined nut or seed oils--basically high-grade cooking oils, rather than mineral-based oils.

good points. the raw linseed does require a little more care. VERY light application, let it soak, and remove excess VERY quickly. Most people do like a nice, dark RW board, (myself included) so I don't mind that property of it, but a good point that should be noted. I guess some people wouldn't want that and I didn't think of it.

-Keith

I've used lemon oil. It does seem to dry out quickly though. I've only tried linseed oil once - on a hiking stick - and had the result j45nick mentioned. It remained tacky for a month. It wasn't the boiled variety and I didn't wipe it off as MODOC cautioned. I've heard coconut oil is a good conditioner for raw wood. I need to research that more, but I plan on getting some coconut oil and trying it out on some unfinished wood blanks to see how that works. Some recipes I've seen melt very small amounts (1:10) of beeswax in as well. If my wife has any, I may try that concoction to compare with the pure coconut oil. I only treat my fretboards once every 9 or 10 months, so I think it's equally important to wash your hands before playing to keep dirt, oil, acids and whatever from getting ground into the fretboard in the first place.

I have a bottle of Dunlop 65 Ultimate Lemon Oil that I use sometimes. I am not convinced that it is even needed. What terrible things happen if you don't oil the fretboard? My 1974 fretboard wasn't oiled for over 30 years and I never noticed a problem.

Much discussed on another post in the Lounge:

Lemon Oil

I still maintain that great Lemon Oil is non-petroleum based and non-toxic. Use on all my wood projects too. On the guitars that have finishes NO. Just raw wood.

Aster

Mineral oil. That's what they make fretboard oil from. In a pinch, I guess I can use it as an intestinal lubricant. [crying]

450.jpg

I always wondered how you're supposed to use it as an intestinal lubricant until I just saw this [scared] -

450.jpg

Hey - keep one in the gig bag just in case!

I found a big jar of Coconut Oil in my wife's cooking supplies yesterday. It's a sort of mayonaise-looking goop that says it's 100% pure and 'indigenous'. I'm going to put some on a piece of wood i use as a coaster today and watch how it fairs over the months until my next fretboard project. If anything 'conclusive' occurs - I'll try to dig out this old thread and report back here. I'm not optimistic I would know how to measure the superiority of it over lemon oil - other than by visual 'inspection'.

Oh, the jar also says you can use Coconut Oil as a skin care product. I think I'll stick to soap and water.

I found a big jar of Coconut Oil in my wife's cooking supplies yesterday. It's a sort of mayonaise-looking goop that says it's 100% pure and 'indigenous'. I'm going to put some on a piece of wood i use as a coaster today and watch how it fairs over the months until my next fretboard project. If anything 'conclusive' occurs - I'll try to dig out this old thread and report back here. I'm not optimistic I would know how to measure the superiority of it over lemon oil - other than by visual 'inspection'.

Oh, the jar also says you can use Coconut Oil as a skin care product. I think I'll stick to soap and water.

I think I would be careful about using cooking oils, as they could mildew (at least, that is the prevailing wisdom I have heard). But by all means, update us with your experiment.

Red 333

I think I would be careful about using cooking oils, as they could mildew (at least, that is the prevailing wisdom I have heard). But by all means, update us with your experiment.

Red 333

Food oils do go rancid and then the smell nasty. Stick with the Gibson fretboard oil and all will be fine. To much will gunk up your strings so follow instructions.

C F Marin, another guitar company(!) state 'We do not recommend using lemon oil on our fingerboards. The acids in lemon oil break down the finish of our guitars. It may also aid the corrosion of the frets and lessen the life of the strings''

I have used Gibson Lem oil for decades on all my guitars. Never had a problem, using it sparingly.

Archived