Gibson Brands Forums

Here's something you don't see very often

BigKahune

I caught sight of this a few days ago and today I got hit home. A 1995 J-100 Xtra 12 sting. A Gibson big body super jumbo 12. Sitka top with mahogany back and sides. Rosewood fretboard, bridge and bridge pins. Looks pretty good - some checking here and there, and a couple headstock chips, but no cracks. Very nice and loved the price.

1995J-100Xtra12x_zpsrblgv7jr.jpg

1995J-100Xtra12Back-s_zps5vqi7a5c.jpg

. . . Understated.

Agree- until pick meets strings.

Hog is perfect for a 12. Rosewood is overwhelming, and maple can be a bit brittle.

Agree here, as well. And Elixir strings would be perfect for a 12'er (signal to noise improvement, maintenance interval, etc).

Now could we hear Mr T Man a'la Mcquinn '65 - t'would tinkle like water in the desert drought.

Seconding that request; cue the aforementioned water-like tinkling. Now that would be a surprise.

Nice guitar- upper bout has good silking. Cool to see the mirrored torch headstock inlay on the 12's. Forgot about that.

Seeing this guitar got me thinking. I'd love to see Gibson do B-45 12 reissue, using the standard slope-J platform and a pin bridge, assuming it would be up to the string tension.

This would effectively be a recreation of the greatest of the Gibson acoustic 12-strings, few of which have survived intact.

It would probably need a review of the top bracing to avoid the issues that led to such short lives for the originals, but what a guitar it could be!

Seeing this guitar got me thinking. I'd love to see Gibson do B-45 12 reissue, using the standard slope-J platform and a pin bridge, assuming it would be up to the string tension.

This would effectively be a recreation of the greatest of the Gibson acoustic 12-strings, few of which have survived intact.

It would probably need a review of the top bracing to avoid the issues that led to such short lives for the originals, but what a guitar it could be!

In 1991 Gibson Montana re-issued the B-45-12 the retail was $1399.00 $1599.00 with electronics. They made a total of 20.

In 1992 they had it in the pricelist at $1499.00 $1699 with pickup. They made a total of 43.

Yes they were pin bridges and Ren did design the bracing pattern. They were great guitars.

They have made several small runs over the years but they were for the more knowledgeable Japanese market.

• 3 weeks later...

In 1991 Gibson Montana re-issued the B-45-12 the retail was $1399.00 $1599.00 with electronics. They made a total of 20.

In 1992 they had it in the pricelist at $1499.00 $1699 with pickup. They made a total of 43.

Yes they were pin bridges and Ren did design the bracing pattern. They were great guitars.

They have made several small runs over the years but they were for the more knowledgeable Japanese market.

One of those B-45-12 reissues turned up for sale several years ago in a guitar shop I sometimes visit (Frailers in Runcorn, in the North of England). I couldn't buy it because I had only just bought a Taylor 355 12 string. This was especially galling because I was a huge Leo Kottke fan at the time. I would buy in a second if I was to encounter one again, and I still feel a tinge of regret whenever I think about that guitar.

• 1 month later...

Its a great looking guitar. Hope you get a lot of use out of it.

I bought a 12 string Japanese Aria in 1970. A couple years later the bridge (attached with a tailpiece to the end of the guitar) sort of crumpled and I had to have it replaced. Of course nobody had anything that matched the original screw holes. I tried to trade it in to GC along with some other stuff in 2000 but they looked at it and told me the area around the sound hole was caving in so they didn't want it. I took it to a local music store where they adjusted the neck and put a set of silk and steel strings on it. It hasn't degraded any further but it sounds like crap compared to real steel strings. It used to put out incredible volume, but not so much anymore.

Archived