Gibson Brands Forums

Guitar Center Pricing - WTH?

glp2012

I have not been to Guitar Center for quite some time, but stopped by the other day to look for some strings. Anyway, I saw this unusual pricing...one guitar marked 599.99 and another marked 800.01. The used to just be $599. Now, I understand the old retail trick of marking items at $599 because subconsciously a person sees the five and thinks it is is in the five hundred dollar range as opposed to the rounded up $600. But, marking something 800.01?

So, here is the only thing I can figure. A bunch of product managers were sitting around trying to figure ways to increase sales and profitability. One guy said: "Hey, if we raise the price from $799 to $800.01, we will make $1.01 more per guitar. If we sell 10,000 guitars per month, that's an additional $10k in revenue, per month, for doing nothing!" Afterwards, they all went out for congratulatory drinks at the local bar.

IMG_0701_zpsbgjrrtlr.jpg

Actually, it's 2 cents.

But here's the deal: if you discount the price (which they often do), selling that guitar for $699.99 from 800 bucks does the same thing in reverse.

The more of a discount they can make it SEEM like, the more special you feel.

Two different guitars? The one on the right could be USA model accounting for the higher price but the real crime is no hard cases.

Could also just be a mistake.

Guitar players make them all the time, so why not guitar sellers.

Items being priced wrong is not new or exclusive to guitarcenters. Happens all the time from the local market to the big box stores. I know I deal with them everyday.

On the other hand if you're paying sticker price for any guitar you're paying too much.

I've heard that GC has a company wide policy to not give any discounts anymore. Have any of you guys been told that?

More to the point, it's the makers. They are all trying to get to the Mesa Boogie One Price To Rule Them All model, no more list minus 40 that we are used to. It's coming, just taking longer than they thought. MAP is the last step that way.

You will also notice a stronger emphasis on Mitchell Guitars, Williams Pianos, Sterling recording gear, and whatever other brands they actually own. If you are going to be a retailer of low to mid price point stuff, might as well make it your own low to mid price point stuff. Less and less of the big guys in the stores in the near future. If your own stores in your areas are anything like our local GC, there are already no Gibson acoustics, soon no Martins, no PRS, 20 Mexican Fenders, 20 Epiphones, and maybe 4 each Yankee Fenders and Gibsons. They only hang what they can sell, remember that.

It is a strange and frightening world.

rct

More to the point, it's the makers. They are all trying to get to the Mesa Boogie One Price To Rule Them All model, no more list minus 40 that we are used to. It's coming, just taking longer than they thought. MAP is the last step that way.

You will also notice a stronger emphasis on Mitchell Guitars, Williams Pianos, Sterling recording gear, and whatever other brands they actually own. If you are going to be a retailer of low to mid price point stuff, might as well make it your own low to mid price point stuff. Less and less of the big guys in the stores in the near future. If your own stores in your areas are anything like our local GC, there are already no Gibson acoustics, soon no Martins, no PRS, 20 Mexican Fenders, 20 Epiphones, and maybe 4 each Yankee Fenders and Gibsons. They only hang what they can sell, remember that.

It is a strange and frightening world.

rct

I know my local has not had a Gibson acoustic now for about 5 months I keep asking and I keep getting BS answers. Too bad I will visit less often.

I know my local has not had a Gibson acoustic now for about 5 months I keep asking and I keep getting BS answers. Too bad I will visit less often.

How is that even possible... for a GC store to not have a Gibson acoustic on-hand?!?! [confused]

But rct is correct. We're launching the Mitchell electrics next month, and are going to make a huge push for these. I might check one out. I'll be needing a bass soon. Perhaps I'll look at their 4-string model.

1471059362[/url]' post='1791056']

Actually, it's 2 cents.

But here's the deal: if you discount the price (which they often do), selling that guitar for $699.99 from 800 bucks does the same thing in reverse.

The more of a discount they can make it SEEM like, the more special you feel.

Lol, that's what I was going to say! (I've known lots of guys who get pennies and throw them away.)

It's a game designed by idiots - greedy idiots at that - and the more convoluted it gets, the less inclination I have to play. The rules are subject to arbitrary change without notice and as long as we continue to suck it up, the longer it'll be that way. How's that for a display of bad attitude?

It's a game designed by idiots - greedy idiots at that - and the more convoluted it gets, the less inclination I have to play. The rules are subject to arbitrary change without notice and as long as we continue to suck it up, the longer it'll be that way. How's that for a display of bad attitude?

Well, without mentioning either political party I can't really give you any points. Try harder.

rct

This, in my opinion, is one of the problems we face in this country: "The rules are subject to arbitrary change without notice and as long as we continue to suck it up, the longer it'll be that way." Really it is greed. I mean, profit is to be expected, but it's not about profit anymore. It's about squeezing every penny of profit at the expense of the employees and customers.

It's not the $0.02...its the game that we are being subjected to.

This, in my opinion, is one of the problems we face in this country: "The rules are subject to arbitrary change without notice and as long as we continue to suck it up, the longer it'll be that way." Really it is greed. I mean, profit is to be expected, but it's not about profit anymore. It's about squeezing every penny of profit at the expense of the employees and customers.

It's not the $0.02...its the game that we are being subjected to.

I'd love to take a look at the balance sheet and specific costs that Gibson has. I am sure most of their costs go to employee salary and benefits. I wonder how much of a profit they make compared to similar companies. I bet it isn't has high as you would like to think.

Well, without mentioning either political party I can't really give you any points. Try harder.

rct

Mentioning political parties would probably give this thread a direction leading to deletion, given the partisan nature of likely responses! My entire post drew what I consider to be some excellent analogies along that line, but I did some editing before I made it public.

Archived