Gibson Brands Forums

GIbson Hummingbird vs Martin HD28V

Fullmental Alpinist

Sorry, can't tell you which Hummingbird this is although the clip was uploaded to YouTube in 2010.

I'm surprised at how irenic the replies are on the YouTube post. I figured someone would lose an eye or something.

I'm curious which guitar y'all would choose and why. There's a very clear winner to me (no surprise); however, a bunch of people voted for the other guitar.

Will the results be the same here?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JvaQRKCR7UY

Very tough one but I voted for the Bird, I think it has more balance from low to high. Love the Martin and it has that booming low but at times I think it drowns out the high at mid-range. Plus I would give the Bird the edge on appearance by a long shot. I actually do like the Martin guitars but I tend to lean more towards the Gibsons except on small body models.

My vote went to the HD28V. And I didn't vote based on which guitar is better tonally as I am sure they are both very good, and in anycase for me to try and pick the difference would be a waste of time. My vote went to the HD28V because I cannot stand the pick guard on the 'Bird. I know, Heresy!! And rather stuipd but I diskike it intensely. So ban me from the sandpit and see if I care!

I voted for the Gibson to my ears it sounded more balanced and like it had a reverb switched in . In contrast that Martin sounded just too in your face for me , but perhaps that's why I play Gibson but I love the 000 00 size Martins

I don't think the recording is great... It seems electric, brash and thin.

I still liked the Bird better. And as an owner of a Country Western, and a former owner of a Bird, a Sheryl Crow, a D35 and an HD28, I like the Gibsons better. There is a crispness, and a balance, and a warmth that to me live in them, and not in the Martins. The Martins have bass... Lots of it... But for me as a hack singer and mediocre player, the Gibsons work better.

My vote went to the HD28V. And I didn't vote based on which guitar is better tonally as I am sure they are both very good, and in anycase for me to try and pick the difference would be a waste of time. My vote went to the HD28V because I cannot stand the pick guard on the 'Bird. I know, Heresy!! And rather stuipd but I diskike it intensely. So ban me from the sandpit and see if I care!

Calm down Francis, we can handle the truth.

The recordings are really very bad. If either guitar would sound the way they do on these recording I would get rid of them right away. I happen to have both, and in reality they sound very different from one another ... and both mine sound wonderful.

The recording is bad and it doesnt help the Martin, however there's something kind of obvious to me : the overall balance is far better on the bird, and it is also warmer.

I voted for the bird. Yes recording is not good but the hummy is also known to be a beast for recording so all in all, this result is fair :)

As mentioned above, the recording doesn't do the guitars justice.

Yet two absolutely different, but extraordinary creatures and I'm lucky enough to have both.

Admit the Bird gets the most attention, but that could have to do with being a Martin-man for so many years.

Wouldn't miss any of them - in fact this is the pair I'd pick if only two acoustics were allowed. I'd even take the HDV over the D-35.

Switching back'n'forth is highly entertaining and surely would be enough for me.

But the Bird had to be a TV.

That btw. would provide some hard case-satisfaction as well : The light brown/purple plush cali-girl G and the black/emerald green M.

Yes !

As mentioned above, the recording doesn't do the guitars justice.

Yet two absolutely different, but extraordinary creatures and I'm lucky enough to have both.

Admit the Bird gets the most attention, but that could have to do with being a Martin-man for so many years.

Wouldn't miss any of them - in fact this is the pair I'd pick if only two acoustics were allowed. I'd even take the HDV over the D-35.

Switching back'n'forth is highly entertaining and surely would be enough for me.

But the Bird had to be a TV.

That btw. would provide some hard case-satisfaction as well : The light brown/purple plush cali-girl G and the black/emerald green M.

Yes !

The mic/camera was just too close, I thought - o'd the track and only hearing the strings really...

Yes, my HD28v is a wonderful guitar and a beautiful sound fingerpicked for some reason.....not the party line either.

Can you tell me again the differences between the Bird TV and Bird Standard - err ahem err.... there are used versions of each for sale at a place I could drive, and drive and drive, to visit.... [mellow] errmmm....err...same place I bought my used HD28V [mellow]

BluesKing777.

Can you tell me again the differences between the Bird TV and Bird Standard - err ahem err.... there are used versions of each for sale at a place I could drive, and drive and drive, to visit.... [mellow] errmmm....err...same place I bought my used HD28V [mellow]

BluesKing777.

Well, we all know about the burst, p-guard and tuner differences, but add to that the pick-up systems of the Standards plus tusq saddle and nut opposed to bone on TV's.

If my memory serves me there's also something about slightly lighter back-braces on the TV's.

Then of course if you want to get real nerdy - and I presume you do - there is the seldom talked about rosette-variations.

TV's goin' w/b/w - w/b/w/b/w/b/w (outer and inner rings) - Standards turning that order negative.

With all this said and my own preference underlined, I am not bashing the Stds. They are in many ways just as good, just slightly different.

But let's see when you hit the shop and take them from the wall. Look forward to hear what you experience there.

And sure - the HD-28V is a terrific finger-picker.

Well, we all know about the burst, p-guard and tuner differences, but add to that the pick-up systems of the Standards plus tusq saddle and nut opposed to bone on TV's.

If my memory serves me there's also something about slightly lighter back-braces on the TV's.

Then of course if you want to get real nerdy - and I presume you do - there is the seldom talked about rosette-variations.

TV's goin' w/b/w - w/b/w/b/w/b/w (outer and inner rings) - Standards turning that order negative.

With all this said and my own preference underlined, I am not bashing the Stds. They are in many ways just as good, just slightly different.

But let's see when you hit the shop and take them from the wall. Look forward to hear what you experience there.

And sure - the HD-28V is a terrific finger-picker.

Sorry to disappoint, Em7, but I didn't go.....the Standard has sold and the TV is advertised at $AU4,200...

No comparison happening!

I did play the TV the other week, but they were banging Hiscox cases around for me and it was hard to concentrate, but it had a fairly bright sound. The Standard I played previously there had a very warm tone. But the ONE with a sound I expected was a while back - 1969 model with tone, tone, tone thank you BUT the neck was like a little pencil and a 1 5/8" nut and easily 1/3 the size of my OM necks! I was surprised that I could actually play it!

So I went and played my HD28V for a while, had a long nap, rode my bike, walked the dog and then played my D18.......I don't think anyone should play a D18 (similar to Bird with dread mahogany, sitka...) after the tone of a HD28V...

BluesKing777.

Martin's in general are going to have better note to note definition and more pronounced hi-lo separation. Unless its a dud, an HD gives you more boom in the bass and top end ring, You can get more colors of sound out of it, flat picked or with fingers, and cover a lot of gigs. The Bird has its niche--great strummer/rhythm box. But objectively speaking, its not Gibsons most versatile a box--lacks the definition and ring for flatpicking or the high end pop for fingerstyle.

Thanks to everybody who responded to this little poll. I learned two things:

1) It's amazing to see the difference in what people hear. Some like one sound far better and the others can't stand that sound. I'll need to dredge up some of Tom's old dissertations on sound and hearing and give them another read.

2) This should come as no surprise to anyone, I learned that BK777 is on the hunt for another guitar. Won't stop until he owns all of them in OZ (excepting Maton, of course).

Archived