Gibson Brands Forums

Picks

Black Dog

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

That WHOOSH you hear is that post going right by me.

rct

It's comedy/action series with JCVD, playing himself. His acting career was supposedly a cover for his real profession as an international spy/operative.

Anyway, the series wasn't all that great but the pilot was very funny. One of the scenes in his house shows that he has his initials on nearly everything he owns.

Your pick made me think of that.

I don't know your sense of humor when i comes to that sort of thing but like i said, I liked the pilot.

It's comedy/action series with JCVD, playing himself. His acting career was supposedly a cover for his real profession as an international spy/operative.

Anyway, the series wasn't all that great but the pilot was very funny. One of the scenes in his house shows that he has his initials on nearly everything he owns.

Your pick made me think of that.

I don't know your sense of humor when i comes to that sort of thing but like i said, I liked the pilot.

lolz indeed, I am with him in spirit. My initials are on almost everything, including my cubicle at work. lolz again.

rct

Hey, can't you read? Rct has listed his South Jersey roots as fair warning. Don't mess. My sister teaches at Rowan U., rct. Would you be interested in a blind date?

huh. Glassboro State you mean. I went to the Johnson/Kosygon summit in like 2nd grade. I go through Glassboro now and tear up. Tell yer sister that Rowan is nothing like it was long ago. My brother is up at Gloucester County U, a subsidiary of Glassboro State University/Rowan. Small world!

rct

Hah. She knows from Glassboro St. It was called that when she began teaching. She can't believe how dopey the kids are today. It's hard to teach at the undergrad level. We call it Rowan and Martin U. Maybe you're too young to remember R&M.

How far are you from the shore?

Hah. She knows from Glassboro St. It was called that when she began teaching. She can't believe how dopey the kids are today. It's hard to teach at the undergrad level. We call it Rowan and Martin U. Maybe you're too young to remember R&M.

How far are you from the shore?

Galloway, couple miles from the bay, 6 or so from Atlantic City.

rct

We loved the Jersey Shore as kids rct, but were north of you on LBI. My grandfather had a place on the beach. Oh, if they had only kept the property! He was a doctor who hung with the Roger Touhy gang in the scary 30's...tax fraud, money laundering, altering fingerprints, etc. So where's the money???

Hey zig, take it easy. We always zigzag back to the topic at hand, eventually. I think once we started talking coins as picks the topic went south anyway.

Seashell picks anyone?

I've been using these for 30+ years. They seem to hold up better for me than others but I'm ok using whatever is available. I break plastic mediums and wear down heavy plastic really fast. I have a hard attack at times and usually have my pick at a bit of an angle.

s-l640.jpg

Since guitar is my 7th instrument, I'm not as experienced as many others on this forum, so my choice is simple.

I prefer white because I play on a lot of dark stages, and if I drop the pick, it's easier to find. I've tried a few different materials and strengths, and this is what I like best.

fender-351-white-moto-medium-12-stk.jpg

Notes

These are my favorites too. I use medium and heavy the most but thin is good for certain things too

Kh6BCSy.jpg

These are the main picks I've made.

The Tri-shape resembles the V-Pick Psychos I prefer (I still keep those in my cases/gig bags).

The square one was an experiment. Most tri-picks approximate a 90 degree angle at the tips so it was a logical thing to try. It works well. I've used it more than the others (including at my last gig).

The big quad point was difficult to make. It took hours of shaping. The idea was to replicate tri-shape geometry in a quad design (like 4 x tri tips). It works ok and the large size is a side benefit for my arthritic thumbs.

The next pick I make will be larger again for the same reason. It will probably be tri shaped again.

1vp6CJ5.jpg

BTW, the sharp points are specifically for quick alternating picking. Pretty useless for rhythm work. I turn the picks around to use the flat edge for rhythm.

Archived