Gibson Brands Forums

Pauls guitar demo

Rabs

I've always wanted to ask this. Other than being well built and looking fanstastic, what makes a PRS so special? What tone difference do they have to offer outside of Fender and Gibson? I see quality, but for tone... ???

Just down to taste really..

They are just like any other guitars I reckon (not that I have much experience with them) play enough and you will probably find one you like.. Or find one you like the look and feel of and stick different pickups in? Some people seem to do that no matter what the make.

I've always wanted to ask this. Other than being well built and looking fanstastic, what makes a PRS so special? What tone difference do they have to offer outside of Fender and Gibson? I see quality, but for tone... ???

I don't own a PRS, never have, more than likely never will. I've never played one that had a neck that I liked.

They sound on the muddy side of too middy. The front pickup sits back further than usual on that scale length. It isn't a big difference by the ruler, but the harmonic content knows it, they sound muddy and useless on the front pickup to me.

The back pickup is close to the front pickup, look at how far apart they are on a Tele. That makes the middle spot muddy, not chimey and sproingy like a Fender in the middle.

The back pickup alone just isn't treble-y enough for me. I guess I could change it if I liked one enough to buy it, but damn, a few grand just to change the pickups just seems dumb to me.

All just my opinion. There's a bunch that use them and love them and sound great with them.

rct

I never found a PRS I bonded with. I've played plenty of them, but they just don't feel right to me. Hard to describe why, but it seems like a lot of people have that impression of them. The last one I played had an open grain neck finish that was lumpy and awful!

I have only played the occassional PRS that has crossed my repair bench. Not a huge fan of the neck feel or the rotary tone switch that some models have.

Tone is subjective and effected by many things in the signal chain.

The build quality is quite good but they are not my cup of tea.

The guy in the video is an awsome player 👍

Thanks for sharing that!

That Paul's guitar is certainly beautiful......

PRS has always been a mystery to me. I bought one that I still have. A Core Mira....kind of a double cut special sort of feel. Amazing build quality, plays well, sounds good. That's where it loses me.

It does everything "good". Really good actually. But, I can't say it does any one thing "great".

I've heard people describe them as sterile and I think this might be correct. I've heard people say they try to be all things to all people and it doesn't work out.

It doesn't "move me" the way some of my gibby's and fenders do. Have I had too much of the "MOJO" cool aid??? Probably, but it is what it is.

The one thing that impresses me the most about them is when I ask myself "Why does that guitar cost X, but to get that same beautiful wood and fit and finish in any other brand would cost X+500?" The other brands could really take a lesson from PRS as far as that stuff goes.

Just my two cents......

NHTom

I guess this is why we are all on the Gibson forum and not the PRS one.. :)

I dont get it either.. Its a bit like Joe B to me.. Everything about what he does says I should like him, but I just dont and like PRS im not even sure why?

Have to admit that is the coolest difference between single coil and humbucker sound that I've heard on one guitar. But I always felt since I play humbuckers all the time if I really needed a single coil sound I would just pick up the Strat or Tele for that song. Not sure what this special model will cost, but guessing it will be pretty high?

Have to admit that is the coolest difference between single coil and humbucker sound that I've heard on one guitar. But I always felt since I play humbuckers all the time if I really needed a single coil sound I would just pick up the Strat or Tele for that song. Not sure what this special model will cost, but guessing it will be pretty high?

I wouldn't have guessed that a member named Twang Gang would play only humbuckers. msp_biggrin.gif

What they have to offer is shrieking, ear splitting treble.

They sound different to me.

If you evaluate tone comparatively, especially against a benchmark tone, it’s difficult to appreciate something else for what it is. If you have been using or chasing a certain sound your whole career then anything different will never be as good.

A while back, a certain interesting person here on the forum was praising PRS. So, just for fun, I went to my local Guitar Center and they had quite a few there, ranging from a few hundred dollars to a few thousand. I didn't care for the neck much, first thing. I couldn't relate to the pickups and the tone. Some of the ones I played had a single volume and single tone and that doesn't work for me at all. I'm always switching pickups, volumes, and love the versatility of at least two volume/one tone/two pickups (or three). The craftsmanship seemed really nice and some of the woods and tones are very nice if you like that kind of flame. I'm more into functionality and playability. I can't remember how many PRS guitars I played but it was over 15, if I recall correctly. They just didn't click.

I did find a really nice used Fender American Strat the other day for $749.00 almost in mint condition. That'll probably be my next buy. I miss my old Strat. And, played a REALLY nice Schecter!

I guess it is all about taste but the PRS guitars I have played were very nice and played well too. I would own one but I do not see that happening soon. The guy demoing this guitar in the video does a great job and is pretty good.

When it comes to single coil sound from humbuckers though I am more of a traditionalist. I like single coils and humbuckers. Not humbuckers that split the coils. I know it works for a lot of people, I just do not care for it.

Archived