Gibson Brands Forums

What a great deal on this amp!

jaxson50

What's the red guitar he's playing last It's not an LP is it? I personally think a lot of the hype about amps like this is hot air. They tell you it's great, so you think it's great.

My old AC30 was a smooth as this. I'd bet I could get a similar sound and feel from my Hughes and Kettner Switchblade combo.

I'm sure they are pretty good - it's impossible to tell from any clip posted on the www - but seriously; how much better can they really be from all the other 'boutique' clones out there? I get the 'I Have an Original and not just a copy' aspect of owning one and the list of players who use - or have used - a Dumble is quite impressive but give any decent player a decent guitar and a decent amp and they will still sound like themselves.

Methinks it's time yet again for some words of wisdom...

Pip.

They are expensive because they're hard to get and in demand. Built by Dumble himself and voiced for each individual customer. I built about five or six Dumble clones and they probably sounded just like the real ones. But they sold for less than two thousand bucks. Supply and demand. [thumbup]

BTW, Robben Ford paid $1,300 for his first 100 watt Dumble head and I think maybe $1,800 for the other one he has.

I don't get it. As Pip mentioned hard to tell what it sounds like playing a computer clip, but I put my ear-buds in and hey it does sound really nice.

Doesn't sound any better to me than my Rivera Venus 6, which has a built in effects loop and a true spring reverb included and cost about $95,000 less brand new.

The fact that Billy Joe Armstrong and Joe B. owned the one on Reverb just lessens the value to me as they probably beat the crap out it, and if it was so great why did they get rid of it?

The fact that a couple of famous people touched it does not add any value for me [confused]

I posted a similar thread about an expensive Dumble for sale a few years ago....at a similar jaw-dropping price.

Searcy was around here then and made some good comments.

I said it then and I'll say it again; the Fender Twin IIs (Rivera designed) I had then - both sold now, alas - could do Dumble tones and drive very well.

Cascading gain, innit?

[smile]

...I built about five or six Dumble clones and they probably sounded just like the real ones...

I remember you posted a thread following the progress of one of the Dumble clones you built up and it sounded really good in the sound clip which followed.

Can't remember the name of the manufacturer of the base kit (but I did enjoy, subsequently, looking through their website!) and I think I'm correct in saying you tweaked the circuitry into the bargain. If you still know where the clip is I think some of the newer members would be interested to see / hear it. In fact I wouldn't mind seeing it again myself!

...Searcy was around here then and made some good comments....

...the Fender Twin IIs (Rivera designed) I had then......could do Dumble tones and drive very well.........Cascading gain, innit?...

This is the thing; what DOES a Dumble sound like? It's not as if any of us can just wander downtown to try out one or two to find out for ourselves first-hand.

I've heard many clips and I've read many reviews but there doesn't seem to be any real 100% uniformity across the models/years/playing styles because each amp is purportedly built to one player's needs.

Pip.

BTW, the guy who did that demo video has no idea how to dial in that amp. No clue. I can tell by the settings he was using. You can't just bring in a complicated amp and start demoing it with some random fiddling on the knobs, especially when you don't even know how the amp works. So don't expect that demo to be worth anything. Garbage.

Not only can you buy Dumble clones for like $1500, but you can buy clones of like 20 different voicings. There's like say 12 different components that are tweaked to voice it.

People don't like Dumbles 'cause they're jealous of the rich people buying them. They don't like Dumble clones - or anything like them - Bludotones, Two-Rocks, they don't like them either. Kind of like rednecks don't like people at Harvard, so they don't like people at Northeast State Technical Community College either. Who's noticing?

The reasons people like them are because they don't choke out no matter how loud or hard you play, they're clear, the drive channel won't break down and they supposedly record really well.

And you CAN'T get "Dumble tones" from anything but a Dumble type amp.

Not to mention that they never break. Newer Fenders break all the time, Mesas have a horrible reputation, Marshalls are fragile and difficult to work on.

Ceriatone makes good Dumble clones, although I don't really like doing business with them.

So there's some more random thoughts.

...People don't like Dumbles 'cause they're jealous of the rich people buying them. They don't like Dumble clones - or anything like them - Bludotones, Two-Rocks, they don't like them either. Kind of like rednecks don't like people at Harvard, so they don't like people at Northeast State Technical Community College either. Who's noticing?

The reasons people like them are because they don't choke out no matter how loud or hard you play, they're clear, the drive channel won't break down and they supposedly record really well...

And you CAN'T get "Dumble tones" from anything but a Dumble type amp....Not to mention that they never break...

Ceriatone makes good Dumble clones, although I don't really like doing business with them.

So there's some more random thoughts.

Folks who dislike a Dumble amp because they can't afford one are more than just a bit silly. It's as crazy as not liking a Vintage Ferrari because all you can afford is, erm, a Ford.

Disliking a Dumble clone - which is actually an attainable goal for a vast number of people - is even sillier IMO.

Personally I'd love to try out a Dumble / Dumble Clone in an appropriate room. From your description they sound very appealing - and, as we know, you know what you are talking about.

And yes; Ceriatone was the marque you were working on in the post a few years ago which I mentioned. Sounded really good!

Pip.

1550338890[/url]' post='1977959']

Folks who dislike a Dumble amp because they can't afford one are more than just a bit silly. It's as crazy as not liking a Vintage Ferrari because all you can afford is, erm, a Ford.

Disliking a Dumble clone - which is actually an attainable goal for a vast number of people - is even sillier IMO.

Personally I'd love to try out a Dumble / Dumble Clone in an appropriate room. From your description they sound very appealing - and, as we know, you know what you are talking about.

And yes; Ceriatone was the marque you were working on in the post a few years ago which I mentioned. Sounded really good!

Pip.

An appropriate room to try one out would be what, Albert Hall? No I think the thing that holds most of back is cost, but maybe it’s the weight, after you pay for one your pocket book has none.

An appropriate room to try one out would be what, Albert Hall? No I think the thing that holds most of back is cost, but maybe it's the weight, after you pay for one your pocket book has none.

msp_laugh.gif

Well, I believe the Dumble Overdrive Special started out - it was certainly available - as a 50w model so, no, they are not so very loud.

As far as the amp in the OP is concerned; a genuine Dumble undoubtedly has, over the years, acquired an aura; a mystique; a Myth. They are rare and they rarely come on to the market. They are not aimed at 'We'; the Great Unwashed. I have absolutely no problem with that. Add in to the mix the 'celebrity provenance' of this one - important to collectors as evidenced by the prices reached by Clapton's kit over the years - and, seriously, who really cares how much money a collector wants to hand over?

I have had canvas floor-sheets which, after redecorating my house, have resembled numerous 'proper' canvases by Jackson Pollock.

His, for reasons unbeknownst to me, seem to be the more highly valued...

msp_smile.gif

Pip.

They're good but are they really better than a good Rivera design? César Díaz?

Can't say, haven't tried one.

But (I boringly insist) I got perfect Robben Ford "Help The Poor" solo tone on the Twin II overdive channel. [smile]

1550345205[/url]' post='1977975']

msp_laugh.gif

Well, I believe the Dumble Overdrive Special started out - it was certainly available - as a 50w model so, no, they are not so very loud.

As far as the amp in the OP is concerned; a genuine Dumble undoubtedly has, over the years, acquired an aura; a mystique; a Myth. They are rare and they rarely come on to the market. They are not aimed at 'We'; the Great Unwashed. I have absolutely no problem with that. Add in to the mix the 'celebrity provenance' of this one - important to collectors as evidenced by the prices reached by Clapton's kit over the years - and, seriously, who really cares how much money a collector wants to hand over?

I have had canvas floor-sheets which, after redecorating my house, have resembled numerous 'proper' canvases by Jackson Pollock.

His, for reasons unbeknownst to me, seem to be the more highly valued...

msp_smile.gif

Pip.

Clapton’s auctions are to support Crossroads Antigua Treatment Center and other charities.

Clapton's auctions are to support Crossroads Antigua Treatment Center and other charities.

Yes. I know.

David Gilmour is auctioning-off (through Christies) a whole load of his most famous kit quite soon and the proceeds from that sale will also be going to charity.

Good on them both.

Pip.

Archived