Gibson Brands Forums

Found a new singer

jdgm

Finally have found a new singer for our band, after 15 months.

1st singer who started the band left end Jan 18 after horrid infantile temper tantrum. Was too old, soon he didn't want to do more than the occasional gig.

2nd singer has been very good but lives miles away, and more importantly has a heavily disabled son for whom he is the full-time carer so could not commit to regular rehearsals.

New guy lives near bassplayer, a bit younger than most of us, bloody fantastic voice, 2 new/newish Gibsons (LP & 335) good gear and very keen.

Lots of work and rehearsals next; sort out which songs we are going to do, keys, arrangements.

Stepping up my practice sessions again from now.

At present next booking is mid-July which gives us enough time.

Need to buy another powered p.a. speaker as one of the ones we've been using is owned by 2nd singer.

I hope we will get going again (and better than ever before) after all this time and so much faffing about and disappointment.

Wish me luck, eh?

Perhaps the breeze is blowing my way; even my other lot - jazz group - has 2 gigs booked in June!! B)

Best wishes to all, as ever.

Edited by jdgm
  • Upvote 6

I join the others in wishing you the best of good fortune!

msp_thumbup.gif

Really good to hear that things might stabilise in a workable pattern for you in both your ventures. If you ever get near to London then let us all know and we'll try to be there!

Pip.

Edited by pippy
  • Upvote 1

Congrats [thumbup]

Through my years of experience the really talented singers are usually flakes, mental and flat broke [confused]

man, I'm glad you clarified really talented, cos otherwise I was thinking "Hey, I'm not flat broke!!"

• Upvote 1

Congrats [thumbup]

Through my years of experience the really talented singers are usually flakes, mental and flat broke [confused]

I would have to agree. I think I've known three out of many, many that were "normal". However, in their defense, it takes a special kind of person to stand up there in front of everybody and pretend to be cool. It's not something that I would want to do. I have known some singers that had/have very secure financial situations. I think it helps if the said vocalist also plays an instrument...it takes some of the pressure off of having to be the biggest personality in the room. Good Luck, jdgm!

• Upvote 1

Thanks to everyone for the good wishes. I'll be keeping you updated of course.

What kind of stuff are you planning on playing?

We call ourselves a blues band and there is a lot of standard blues but we also stick in some classic old school rock stuff to get 'em up on the floor....depends what the singer knows.

So when are you planning on booking a performance in Omaha Neb. so Debbie and I can come support you? msp_flapper.gif

Well it's a bit out of the way but I'm sure we can fix something up!!! [biggrin]