Gibson Brands Forums

Gibson LP Standard 60s

Mike_L

So, seeing the new Standards, I figured I'd give one a shot from Sweetwater:

Gibson%20Les%20Paul%20Standard%2060s%20Bourbon%20Burst%20Front.png_zpsev0xbiml.jpg

It arrived yesterday and then I saw this:

106690256-detail1-xlarge_zpssb3dk88s.jpg

Maybe I'm being picky, I don't know. But this scratch behind the nut really disappoints me. If it came from Gibson that way, shame on them. It definitely came from Sweetwater that way and I can only say so much for their "55 Point Inspection". Yes, it's going back.

I'll be sticking with 90's and 2000's Gibsons.

Edited by Mike_L

That's a real pity.

Maybe its the picture angle thats fooling me, but...

I would be more concerned about the neck to bridge alignment, There seems to be more real estate left of the big E than right of the small e.

Yes, I think your right. Thanks for pointing that out. I had focused on the scratch. I'm not real impressed with this Graphtec nut anyways. I prefer unbleached bone nuts and had I kept it, that was first ,on my list.

Agreed -- Is it definitely a a true scratch? Nothing that can be wiped off with a damp rag, or such?

It's definitely a scratch. And actually it is darker than in that photo which leads me to believe someone already tried to wipe it off.

It's definitely a scratch. And actually it is darker than in that photo which leads me to believe someone already tried to wipe it off.

That sucks! I just got an identical one from Sweetwater and it was perfect. We were probably comparing the exact same guitars on their site!

That sucks! I just got an identical one from Sweetwater and it was perfect. We were probably comparing the exact same guitars on their site!

Ha! Yeah, yours was in my shopping cart briefly before I decided to go with bourbon burst. Always go with your first choice...

Are you talking about the scratch in the fingerboard? That's nothing. Geez. If you're that picky, why don't you look at the photos closer before you choose what guitar you want? That's why they post such clear photos. It's right there staring at you in the photo. Considering that it's right behind the nut, you could sand that thing out in like 2 seconds. You could probably use your shirtsleeve and some spit, lol. :-({|=

• Upvote 3

Hi Mike_L,

My thoughts on this is that if that is a scratch, not a huge deal, but if you're buying a new guitar at full price that has an obvious cosmetic issue such as a scratch on the fretboard, I totally understand how this can be a buzz kill.

When I bought my 2018 LP Classic goldtop, underneath the pick guard, there was a very noticeable gouge from the nut that holds the pick guard arm bracket. It had other issues like the nut slot on the G string was causing "plinks" when I bent the string - which was again fixed with a slight filing touch to make the groove correct - but this just compounded the fact that this guitar left the factory like this or someone mistreated it... Who knows, NEXT! Took me a couple to get the right guitar... Even then, had some minor issues, but I got a killer deal on it where I paid something to the tune of $1500 brand new for it (Christmas Eve sale and the combination of GC reward points). At the time, these were $2200... Then they bumped the price up to $2300 for some reason... Then they dropped the prices dramatically when they wanted to clear them out apparently. I digress...

So my story of my 18 Classic was 2018 - the year of Gibson's bankruptcy - and this is the "new" 2019 Gibson right? Who knows how or when that fretboard scratch got there... Overall, I understand the sentiment that the scratch can cause one to be dissatisfied with their purchase when of course, a LP isn't the cheapest thing to buy guitar-wise, and when you buy a LP, you buy it for the nice finish and accoutrements that come with a Gibson. When you have a "new" guitar that doesn't deliver on that for a couple grand - at least - I wouldn't keep it unless I got a discounted price or a replacement - or money back 100% at the very least. Especially since a fretboard scratch is sort of a minor cosmetic issue that can hopefully be addressed relatively easy if it isn't too deeply grooved in, but this is supposed to be a "new" guitar... I mean, hey, it's bound to happen to ANYTHING new. Not every-single-thing that comes out of ANY company's production facilities are going to be 100% flawless, so hopefully this is not something many Gibson customers experience. Personally, their new stuff looks great. I am not in the market for another guitar as I have more then enough for my lifetime (yeah... I really hope so msp_biggrin.gif) but I am happy to see that Gibson is mounting a potentially successful comeback.

BTW, that guitar you picked out is really nice looking. Just hope it sounds and plays as good as it looks, because that would be an outright shame if it didn't.

I agree, the scratch would be disappointing but not a deal breaker. If you send that back, they're going to sand it out and sell it again as new. I would just fix it myself.

The string spacing looks fine to me. Compared to my LPs it looks about the same. All that stuff is done by the PLEK machine. Not to say that it couldn't fail but doubtful.

It is a really nice looking top.

If you do choose to send it back, why would you give up all together? Just have them send you another one.

Either way good luck.

Edited by Black Dog

Definitely annoying,

yet.. I would bet a Grant that some gentle rubbing with 0000 steel wool or even some 1,000 grit sand paper, followed up with a bit of TLC with a good rosewood conditioning oil and that just goes away. For me it'd be worth trying.. Tossing out the baby with the bathwater is something that we are all tempted to do sometimes.

Good luck Mike I hope it works out in the end.. looks like a nice axe.

Edited by kidblast
  • Upvote 1

My first LP Standard, which I still own, was a 2017 Standard T in bourbon burst. I got it in one huge sale. It has a small minor blemish on the binding close to the nut on the low E string side of the neck. However, it played better than the numerous other Standard Ts they had in stock. There was a Honeyburst that virtually tied with mine, but the bourbon burst was just too good and ridiculously beautiful. I've since purchase other LPs, a couple of PRSi, Fenders, an SG, but there is just something about that Bourboun burst Standard with the small subtle blemish. Yes it sucks buying a guitar new that isn't 100% perfect, especially at that price point (even if mine came a few hundreds under $2k). However, if it's a beautiful guitar that sounds and plays well, I'm sometimes in very specific circumstance willing to overlook very small imperfections. The guitar stays in tune, plays well and sound fantastic. Besides, the guitar is absolutely gorgeous. OP's guitar is just stunning. If it played, was comfortable and sounded as good as it looks I'd keep it. I would obviously try to get Sweetwater to give me a demo price on it due to the scratch, but it wouldn't be a deal breaker to me.

I thank you all for voicing what I didn't have the balls to post. Sending back a guitar for something that insignificant is silly. 0000 steel wool and a dab of lemon oil should do the trick. The hardest and most expensive part is removing and replacing the strings.

• Upvote 1

I thank you all for voicing what I didn't have the balls to post. Sending back a guitar for something that insignificant is silly. 0000 steel wool and a dab of lemon oil should do the trick. The hardest and most expensive part is removing and replacing the strings.

Does this mean you'll be changing your user name to "No Balls Bill"? \:D/

I appreciate everyone's inputs. Everyone has different likes/dislikes, and buying a guitar, an expensive one is no different. It would be one thing to knowingly buy a 'floor model' and expect, and fix, any blems. This one was new and to me any marks, scratches, dents are unacceptable. Would you take a new car off the lot with a blemish and tell the stealership "ah, it'll buff out". F-that.

• Upvote 1

The thing is a guitar is not a car. It’s not the same price range, not the same materials, not the same percentage of manual labor to machine, not the same finishing process. A small blemish in a car might mean the cover up of a huge repair job. Cars don’t scratch a easily as nitro finished guitars or bare wood. Most car parts are painted one color. Cars are much more complicated to fix and maintain properly than a guitar. I understand it’s an analogy. I’m just not sure if it’s a good one.

Edit: Things have changed now, but until recently, if you got a Ferrari, you should expect something odd with the interior. Like buttons coming off, or vents grills that didn’t move or fit properly in the vent cavity. If you wanted a perfect interior, someone with a thick Italian accent would tell you nonchalantly to get an Audi or a Porsche.

Edited by pauloqs

The thing is a guitar is not a car. It's not the same price range, not the same materials, not the same percentage of manual labor to machine, not the same finishing process. A small blemish in a car might mean the cover up of a huge repair job. Cars don't scratch a easily as nitro finished guitars or bare wood. Most car parts are painted one color. Cars are much more complicated to fix and maintain properly than a guitar. I understand it's an analogy. I'm just not sure if it's a good one.

Edit: Things have changed now, but until recently, if you got a Ferrari, you should expect something odd with the interior. Like buttons coming off, or vents grills that didn't move or fit properly in the vent cavity. If you wanted a perfect interior, someone with a thick Italian accent would tell you nonchalantly to get an Audi or a Porsche.

Oh.... FFS.... I'm done here.

Oh.... FFS.... I'm done here.

WTF, that escalated quickly. I’m sorry if I’ve offended you. With that said, I’m entitled just as you’re entitled to yours. There is no reason whatsoever we should somehow agree or have similar opinion. My personal opinion is that this minuscule scratch on the fretboard is 1) easy and trivial to fix, 2) inductive to price negotiation with Sweetwater, and 3) being blown out of proportion. You don’t have to agree with that that’s your prerogative,

• Upvote 4

Does this mean you'll be changing your user name to "No Balls Bill"? \:D/

I appreciate everyone's inputs. Everyone has different likes/dislikes, and buying a guitar, an expensive one is no different. It would be one thing to knowingly buy a 'floor model' and expect, and fix, any blems. This one was new and to me any marks, scratches, dents are unacceptable. Would you take a new car off the lot with a blemish and tell the stealership "ah, it'll buff out". F-that.

If it were me, I'd complain, get a discount, buff it out and be done with it. Minor flaws like that don't bother me but I will ask for a discount if it's a new guitar. I have a 2018 Classic with a minor flaw in the binding on the neck, right at the 5th fret. You can't see it unless you look close and it doesn't affect the playability. But, from Sweetwater, that took it from a $2200.00 guitar to a $1700.00 guitar. I would see if they'd give a partial refund for something that minor that can be easily fixed. But, it's your guitar and I wish you luck. If it were a fantastic guitar otherwise, I'd fix that or come up with a cool story to go with the scratch. :D

• Upvote 5

If it were me, I'd complain, get a discount, buff it out and be done with it. Minor flaws like that don't bother me but I will ask for a discount if it's a new guitar. I have a 2018 Classic with a minor flaw in the binding on the neck, right at the 5th fret. You can't see it unless you look close and it doesn't affect the playability. But, from Sweetwater, that took it from a $2200.00 guitar to a $1700.00 guitar. I would see if they'd give a partial refund for something that minor that can be easily fixed. But, it's your guitar and I wish you luck. If it were a fantastic guitar otherwise, I'd fix that or come up with a cool story to go with the scratch. :D

Yeah, I agree 100%. Getting a flaw on a guitar that can constitute a price drop is music to my ears. It depends on the flaw of course whether or not I can live with it and all that, but the scratch on the fretboard is nothing to me personally. I have a guitar that has a nice scratch on one of the frets that is FAR worse than what is pictured. I know there are all sorts of walks of like here on planet Earth, so if someone truly is not happy with it, I just say do what makes you happy. Anyhow, good reply to this Michael, this is good advice msp_thumbup.gif

• Upvote 2