Gibson Brands Forums

Windows 10 upgrade can still be had for free

Rabs

Just thought id share this here if anyone like me didn't do the Windows 10 upgrade while they were still offering it.. I know that they are totally stopping support for Win 7 soon so I decided to finally upgrade my machine. And while officially they don't seem to be offering it, if you have a proper copy of windows it still works. I just let it install over my old windows (Home Premium 7) didn't ask me for a key or anything.. As a warning though it did take over three hours to complete.. If you want to do a full wipe and install I think you will need a registration key.

So if you want to do it just grab this tool https://www.microsoft.com/en-in/software-download/windows10

It worked perfectly for me. But if you do try it, its always advisable to back your important files up first.. You know computers, theres always a chance something may go wrong.

I did also turn a hell of a lot of tracking software off.. Man they take the P.. But its easy to turn it all off (like on your smartphone).

Edited by Rabs
  • Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Thanks for that. I have had it in mind to buy another laptop, and leave win7 on here. But this gives me the choice I thought had expired.

hmmm...

decisions

I would say its worth it. They barely support Win 7 any more at all and soon it will stop all together... Makes sense from a security point of view.

I was worried that my really old software wouldn't work. Like I have Paint Shop Pro, Cool Edit Pro which are like from 2001.. It all worked fine (to my huge surprise). Just took forever to install all the updates.

Right.

That is my concern, that stuff will become screwed. Good to know it worked out for you.

I have Photoshop & Premier Elements 13, which is intended to remain of this PC as I dont want anymore Adobe upgrades.

I got Fishman tripleplay last December and it has never worked adequately. An expensive mistake. Though its claimed to work with win7, the necessary 3rd party softwares dont work; so very misleading. I was going to try using it again on Win 10.

Right.

That is my concern, that stuff will become screwed. Good to know it worked out for you.

I have Photoshop & Premier Elements 13, which is intended to remain of this PC as I dont want anymore Adobe upgrades.

I got Fishman tripleplay last December and it has never worked adequately. An expensive mistake. Though its claimed to work with win7, the necessary 3rd party softwares dont work; so very misleading. I was going to try using it again on Win 10.

Well from what I can tell so far Win 10 does seem pretty good.. It seems more efficient even though its much more intrusive.. But as said above you can turn it all off.. So if you do use it, you may find some software performance improves a bit.

If you have an older laptop it can and will screw up your audio so if you watch music concerts on your PC you'll get blips and blaps in with the mix.

No problems with Windows 8 but 10, well, not so good.

I speak from experience.

Sounds good, but...

I'll be back in 30 days to see how you're liking it.

IIRC You can use most of MS's software without a registration key for 30 days. Then it shuts off.

I hope they have changed that, but I doubt it.

Be sure to back up all of your good stuff on a remote drive about June 10th. Just in case.

D.

Edited by dReit1

Thanks, Rabs. I did the upgrade a long time ago and I like it, with one exception. I didn't like how it looked after starting up. I found it difficult to set up my desktop the way I like it so I downloaded Classic Shell for free and I'm much happier with it. You can see and download Classic Shell here, if interested:

https://sourceforge....s/classicshell/

AMEN!! It allowed me to get rid of that big box of magazines and VHS tapes I was trying to hide in the back of my closet.

A friend of mine asked me to ask you whether you might be open to offers for all of those useless items?....................

Pip.

I like Win10 OK. Some things are better than the previous versions. Yes I turned off all the tracking settings that PC World and others advise and I do my best to keep Cortana asleep.

Before upgrading or adding new software, I always do a complete disk image on an external drive. That way if something screws up, I can restor my hard drive to it's previous condition. This has saved my butt a few times in my years of messing with computers.

On stage I still have a Win7 and an XP computer. Neither go on-line as they are stage computers and do nothing but play backing tracks andr display music notation and/or lyrics. I really only need one, but both are up and running at all times on stage. Since 2002 I've had to go to the spare twice. I simply moved the USB to Audio interface from one computer to the next and the show went on seamlessly. Cheap insurance.

They are both ThinkPads, which are built to last, and the XP was purchased in 2002. It's so old it was built by IBM. The Win7 ThinkPad was built by Lenovo.

I used to have two 2002 ThinkPads, but I damaged the hinge on one (one-nighters are abusive to gear) and it was so old it was impossible to find physical parts for repair.

Unless they change their reliability, ThinkPads will be the only computer I'll buy.

Insights and incites by Notes

• 2 weeks later...

I've just ordered a new laptop from John Lewis. It'll be delivered to my nearest store tomorrow but I'll probably pick it up Sunday pm.

This way I get to keep my win7 one functional a while longer. It's lasted damned well, but only because I disabled updates that used to screw it up a couple of times a year. Trouble is some devices now need those updates. They can now go on the new one.

I downloaded it and found...

It doesn't do anything  Win 7 or Linux mint doesn't do better.

After finding all of the tracking I decided that Linux mint and Win 7 are more than what I need and re-installed Linux over it. 

I'm ok with Win10, after some initial difficulties which led to me replacing various hardware, including buying a SSHD for the C drive.  My PC is far better now.

Win 10 just did a big update too.  I keep things up to date and follow a few tips (one is turning Quick Access OFF) and so far so good - no worse than the older versions IMO.

💻🖥️⌨️🖱️

Edited by jdgm

9 hours ago, gnappi said:

I downloaded it and found...

It doesn't do anything  Win 7 or Linux mint doesn't do better.

After finding all of the tracking I decided that Linux mint and Win 7 are more than what I need and re-installed Linux over it. 

Its not about what it does better or not..  Its about the fact that support for Win 7 is totally stopping soon.  

As it goes I don't mind Win 10.. I turned all the tracking rubbish off and it works well and will be supported with updates..  And actually I  got back about 250GB worth of disk space back with Windows 10.. 

Edited by Rabs

1 hour ago, dReit1 said:

Rabs, Back up your crap.

Just in case.

Oh yes always when doing something like this...  I did put a similar warning in my OP...   [thumbup]

I did this a few weeks ago now. All went well and its working fine (well as fine as you can expect from any Microsoft software anyway  😄 )

Edited by Rabs

Still havent got Fishman Tripleplay working on Windows 10 🙁

Everything else seems fine. (New Laptop & Student/Home MS Office)

Edge has replaced Explorer.

It is trying hard to look like a tablet.

Cortana works but is useless/impractical.

Face recognition works half of the time on login. Worryingly, Bitdefender warns me that Microsoft Store is repeatedly trying to access my web cam (I have not yet stuck bluetack over the lens).

No Access in my MS Office, so using Thunderbird. Seems ok.

Missing a few old progs. Media Player gone. Re-installed it but found it slow. Uninstalled that and downloaded ACDsee, which is also slow. 

So when did change for its own sake replace continuous improvement  ?

• Like 1

2 hours ago, merciful-evans said:

Still havent got Fishman Tripleplay working on Windows 10 🙁

Everything else seems fine. (New Laptop & Student/Home MS Office)

Edge has replaced Explorer.

It is trying hard to look like a tablet.

Cortana works but is useless/impractical.

Face recognition works half of the time on login. Worryingly, Bitdefender warns me that Microsoft Store is repeatedly trying to access my web cam (I have not yet stuck bluetack over the lens).

No Access in my MS Office, so using Thunderbird. Seems ok.

Missing a few old progs. Media Player gone. Re-installed it but found it slow. Uninstalled that and downloaded ACDsee, which is also slow. 

So when did change for its own sake replace continuous improvement  ?

VLC Media Player seems to work wonderfully, and it is free.  ACDSee was great in it's day, but another picture program called FastStone, which is also free, is working wonderfully, and MUCH faster. Windows 10 still has some annoyances, but I can't remember any Micro$oft operating system that actually does everything they claim it does. But one of the main problems is developers who add so much  bloat to the system that it runs like a 386.

Want free? Google "Permanent Activator".

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Tekboy said:

VLC Media Player seems to work wonderfully, and it is free.  ACDSee was great in it's day, but another picture program called FastStone, which is also free, is working wonderfully, and MUCH faster. Windows 10 still has some annoyances, but I can't remember any Micro$oft operating system that actually does everything they claim it does. But one of the main problems is developers who add so much  bloat to the system that it runs like a 386.

Want free? Google "Permanent Activator".

Thanks for the tips. I'll check them all.