Gibson Brands Forums

Twang Gang mention I didn't do a NGD post, however I did post a pic here and there in other threads. Here's my new Standard 50s Heritage Cherry. I included a pic with the new strap-on. I'm really digging this guitar. I can really tell the difference between it and my 2013 Standard. Biggest difference is the weight and the neck. I have no complaints other than I do not like Burstbuckers. I usually swap them out with 57 Classics, but this time I'm going to put in Duncan's Whole "Lotta Humbucker" instead. 

66212745_10215326831266004_7153206914103

66524221_10215326831666014_4462616667179

• Upvote 3

Sweet... [thumbup]

No loose inlays I take it  🙂

By the way.. Im not sure if this is the case for you or not but I have heard that if you oil your board too much, the oil can get under the inlay and dissolve the glue a bit and can be a cause of inlay sprout...

• Upvote 1

Looking good.....nice indeed!  

Hope you are giving it some as they say. [smile]

Humbuckers....I am tending more and more to roll all (or nearly all) the bass off on my amp.   Also have Boss GE-7 eq.

Anti-mud.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Black Dog said:

I think it looks even better in these pictures.  Very, very nice.   I've never heard the Whole Lotta Humbuckers but I'm a fan of SD stuff in general.

[thumbup]

From what I understand Jimmy P went to Seymour and had him remind his PAFs on his #1. SD kept the specs of what he made and these are supposed to be repoductions. I think they could have come up with a better name.

Very nice.  Congrats.

I had to read the sentence about the “pic with the new strap-on” a second time.  I thought at first you were referring to something else entirely.  😁

• Upvote 1

There ya go - that's a beauty.  Little surprised they are using Burstbuckers in what is supposed to be going back to the basics 50s or 60s models.  Would've thought '57 Classics would be more appropriate.  My 2017 Standard came with Burstbuckers and at first I thought they were too bright and trebly, but after working with them for a couple weeks I have come to like them and am able to get the tones I want.

Let us know how the Seymour Duncan's work out.

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, tx-ogre said:

Very nice.  Congrats.

I had to read the sentence about the “pic with the new strap-on” a second time.  I thought at first you were referring to something else entirely.  😁

Ha!! Congrats you caught my joke!!

Lovely 'burst and colour on that one, Bill. Love the chevron, too!

[thumbup]

When you say the main differences are the weight and the neck am I right to assume you mean the new arrival is heavier and with a chunkier profile? I look forward to your evaluation of the incoming SD's against the '57 Classics.

Pip.

• Upvote 1

27 minutes ago, pippy said:

Lovely 'burst and colour on that one, Bill. Love the chevron, too!

[thumbup]

When you say the main differences are the weight and the neck am I right to assume you mean the new arrival is heavier and with a chunkier profile? I look forward to your evaluation of the incoming SD's against the '57 Classics.

Pip.

Your'e right Pip, the thing weighs a metric ton and the neck is beefy. I played beefier...

9 hours ago, zigzag said:

I like my 57 classics in my 335, and I like my Burstbuckers in my LP Standard. I think that's where they belong.

BTW, purdy guitar, Bill.

I have the 57s in my 339 so I'm covered there. I just can't get cozy with Burstbuckers, I really tried just to muddy for me.

40 minutes ago, Big Bill said:

I was thinking Maine until you mentioned Bean Town!

yea.. LOL! accents are very similar,  (we have no use for "R"s..)  but Maine doesn't have cool words like wicked and pissah in their dialect -- yet...

Edited by kidblast
  • Upvote 1

5 hours ago, pippy said:

I look forward to your evaluation of the incoming SD's against the '57 Classics.

Me too. I have a similar taste in pickups to Bill, but have yet to find some SDs that I like. Not heard 'WholeLOttaHums' yet.

Congrats Mr. Bill. Enjoy that thing!

• Upvote 1

I must interject! I lived in Maine for a long time and in Boston as well. I first heard wicked used in Maine in the 1970's  when my family summered there as in, "Wicked goo-ud!" ; it is also common in Boston. I've never heard a Bostonian use "the  dinner", though. I will say though, that due to their proximity, they share a great deal in terms of their accent and vernacular. Ayuh!

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, G Mac said:

I must interject! I lived in Maine for a long time and in Boston as well. I first heard wicked used in Maine in the 1970's  when my family summered there as in, "Wicked goo-ud!" ; it is also common in Boston. I've never heard a Bostonian use "the  dinner", though. I will say though, that due to their proximity, they share a great deal in terms of their accent and vernacular. Ayuh!

The first time I heard "wicked..." was from the wife of a friend from Maine. She was from New Hampshire. I guess it's a New England thang. (Thang = Detroit area)