Gibson Brands Forums

One Hit Wonder

Navy Vet.

12 minutes ago, billroy said:

These may all be one hit wonders - but I sure am happy they all had those one hits!  Just listened to Venus and In the Summertime...  just made me smile!

Same here, may be their only hit record but it was a hit record and many songs are fantastic. One hit record can set you up for life.

19 hours ago, SteveFord said:

Venus by Shocking Blue

I always thought that was a guy singing that song. Well its very please to see it was sung by a HOT brunette makes the song that much better. I wonder what she looks like now, I'm afraid to Google it.

30 minutes ago, Tman said:

Come on Eileen - Dexy's midnight runners.

I Ran - Flock of Seagulls.

Dexy, yes.  He ticked off Bowie on very first night of very first tour as opener.  End of career.

The Flock?  No way! Space Age Love Song, Wishing, couple other pretty big ones.  Great band, I love Space Age, I'd do that one any time!  There was an old teevee show on VH1 where they try to get bands together again and they got Flock together.  They stayed together!  Still out there again still now I believe.  There's a great set of them somewhere online with some Euro orchestra doing Space Age and a couple others with full string section.  Great stuff.

rct

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, Navy Vet. said:

Don't do it, trust me, she ain't goanna be that hot.

Unfortunately not.  She died in 2006.

Dutch - gorgeous in her day (I was 15 and...uh.... constantly excited) but that was the only international hit.

10 hours ago, rct said:

Dexy, yes.  He ticked off Bowie on very first night of very first tour as opener.  End of career.

The Flock?  No way! Space Age Love Song, Wishing, couple other pretty big ones.  Great band, I love Space Age, I'd do that one any time!  There was an old teevee show on VH1 where they try to get bands together again and they got Flock together.  They stayed together!  Still out there again still now I believe.  There's a great set of them somewhere online with some Euro orchestra doing Space Age and a couple others with full string section.  Great stuff.

rct

My bad.

A professor once said to me, “Tman, since when do your observations have anything to do with the actual incidence of something?”

14 hours ago, Tman said:

Come on Eileen - Dexy's midnight runners.

I Ran - Flock of Seagulls.

I surprised Dexys is known at all in the US. 

They are not a one hit wonders in the uk though. They had two no. 1s and four top 10s. 

My band still have 3 of their songs in our set list; not including Come On Eileen

9 hours ago, merciful-evans said:

I surprised Dexys is known at all in the US. 

They are not a one hit wonders in the uk though. They had two no. 1s and four top 10s. 

My band still have 3 of their songs in our set list; not including Come On Eileen

Oops, Batted zero on that post.😢