Gibson Brands Forums

Hats

SteveFord

Many years ago I used to walk past NYC's oldest hat store on a daily basis and eventually got suckered in and came out with a beautiful Stetson bowler.
Pleased as punch with my purchase I went into a deli, picked up a bottle of Guiness Stout, a hard boiled egg and a copy of the NY Times and went down to Washington Square Park to read the paper and have lunch.
I open my beer and start to see what craziness is going on in the world at large and I feel a TAP! on top of my hat.
Looking up, what do I see but a pigeon's *** right above me.
Where is a shotgun when you need it?

image.php?id=202713

My hat collection got destroyed in a flood many years ago and due to a recent heart attack I've been put on blood thinners and can now feel the cold like everyone else.  Time to buy a hat (or 15).
Here's one I picked up on CraigsList which was owned by a Scottish gentleman who would only take it out on special occasions like when he wore his kilt.
It's a Lock & Co. Town Coke hat in perfect shape with the box.
For anyone who cares, Lock & Co. is the one who created the bowler and it's built like a tank.

image.php?id=202714

Is there anyone else here who's into hats?

I just have  few baseball hats I wear now and again. Nothing cool or interesting. Mostly the NFL, NHL, college, and other teams I like. I did get a bad@ss pair of cowboy boots when I was in Austin several years ago. Classic black with cool stitching made by I believe the Heritage boot company.

Edited by Sgt. Pepper

Well, I do have a hat collection and have for many decades. It's nothing more than baseball caps and its mostly all of our college football team. Over the years I look for the most unusual or fancy hats that most people don't have. I have gotten comments on them also that people like them. One hat in particular that I never wear has the Head Coaches signature of all but 2 that I missed before I married my wife and became a fan. There are other hats also. I have a nice Cowboy hat with a turquoise hat band I wore when I first got married. But I do wear a Husker football hat every time I go out.  My excuse is because I lost most of my hair due to a cancerous brain tumor over 30 years ago. Then my mom gripes if she sees me bald. So I'm just used to wearing hats everyday. 

Yeah, similar to other posts, I am a ball-cap guy too (not what the OP was intending with this thread, I assume).  I still have my hair (a descent amount for my 50s age anyway), but I just like ball caps.  Mostly it is sports teams -- either SF Giants, Oakland Raiders, or GS Warriors (yes, I grew up in the Bay Area).  While I lived in Scottsdale, in a thrift shop I came upon a high-quality and brand-new (still had the tags on it) ASU Devils hat for $1, representing the major football team of the local area.  Typically, I don't buy used hats, but that one was new, very nice, and super cool looking with great colors -- I wore that ASU one to death.  

3 hours ago, 01GT eibach said:

Yeah, similar to other posts, I am a ball-cap guy too (not what the OP was intending with this thread, I assume).  I still have my hair (a descent amount for my 50s age anyway), but I just like ball caps.  Mostly it is sports teams -- either SF Giants, Oakland Raiders, or GS Warriors (yes, I grew up in the Bay Area).  While I lived in Scottsdale, in a thrift shop I came upon a high-quality and brand-new (still had the tags on it) ASU Devils hat for $1, representing the major football team of the local area.  Typically, I don't buy used hats, but that one was new, very nice, and super cool looking with great colors -- I wore that ASU one to death.  

I grew up in San Jose. A's, Warriors, Sharks and Raiders are my teams.

Pork Pies mainly. Probably more due to Buster Keaton's example than Lester Young. 

I usually wear felt one rather than this straw one. I have several. Some American, Italian & some English; including Christies, Stetson, Whitely etc.

Note Alto player Mark (far left) also hatted on this occasion.

Image may contain: one or more people and indoor

• Like 1

1 hour ago, merciful-evans said:

Pork Pies mainly. Probably more due to Buster Keaton's example than Lester Young. 

I usually wear felt one rather than this straw one. I have several. Some American, Italian & some English; including Christies, Stetson, Whitely etc.

Now that's a quality hat done well!  I don't normally wear hats, but if I did I do like that style...  and baseball caps for baseball stuff...

• Thanks 1

One time I'm in Walmart  or somewhere like that and I'm trying on some straw fedoras and I put this one on, and I look up, and there's this guy who was an absolute dead ringer for Freddie King...  He's cruising by and catches me out of the corner of his ten degrees of observational range.  Me gives me a quarter of a wink and a tenth of a nod like "You're good homs."  I flung that thing in the cart and used it at the next gig.  Approved by Freddie King!

9 minutes ago, badbluesplayer said:

One time I'm in Walmart  or somewhere like that and I'm trying on some straw fedoras and I put this one on, and I look up, and there's this guy who was an absolute dead ringer for Freddie King...  He's cruising by and catches me out of the corner of his ten degrees of observational range.  Me gives me a quarter of a wink and a tenth of a nod like "You're good homs."  I flung that thing in the cart and used it at the next gig.  Approved by Freddie King!

Grand Funk just got to play poker with him. He approved your hat purchase.

2 hours ago, merciful-evans said:

Looks good on you.

• Thanks 1

I have family down under, we were married there and I`ve always wanted to move but the the wife won`t. 

I`ve my good, my work and my casual Aussie hats. Great hat and have them in the the house, workshop, the van and one in the bag for when off the bike.

One is never far from my hand but I was thinking of getting one when stateside next year. Any recommendations?

8 hours ago, merciful-evans said:

Seriously - I think I may have played in that pub! :-k  Not Romsey is it?

I still wear a wool beanie hat but it's not always suitable.  I look stupid in a baseball cap.

I'm not a hat guy. Baseball caps are for baseball players, plus they usually have some type of message. I'm gonna need to get paid to advertise or endorse.

Other hats project an image or make a fashion statement.

Sometimes a hat needs to be just a hat.

24 minutes ago, zigzag said:

I'm not a hat guy. Baseball caps are for baseball players, plus they usually have some type of message. I'm gonna need to get paid to advertise or endorse.

Other hats project an image or make a fashion statement.

Sometimes a hat needs to be just a hat.

Or to hide your hair when lazy and don't feel like combing it.  When I wear one its usually the college my wife went to ECU. No one ever heard of the one I graduated from and they have no athletic programs.

Edited by Sgt. Pepper