Gibson Brands Forums

NGD (3 Piece Back Warning)

Sgt. Pepper

Here it is it was in the house when I got home. My brother just got home from work and brought it in.  The former owner put ebony bridge pins in and a new bridge that needs to be replace as it is slimmer than the slot. I have a spare and will take care of it at the next string change. The plastic is still on the pickguard and the end pin has not been installed. The guitar may not be registered. I may change the tuners out for open back tuners. I have  new set I got for Xmas and never used. The former owner enclosed the original bridge pins and the original end pin, the upgraded Martin Ebony Bridge Pin  and spare ebony bridge pin, the two original hanging tags, the Martin Care And Feed booklet, a 50th Ann. booklet about the history of the D-35, and a set of Martin Medium Phos. Bronze strings the blue ones.

It sounds killer. Once I give it a quick polish, its gonna shine in the dark. 

7nhdfDH.jpg

Edited by Sgt. Pepper
  • Like 1

Congrats - looks very nice.  I am not that familiar with the Martin line.  From what I see on their website the D-28 and the D-35 are very similar.  Same shape, body wood, top wood, scale length, neck shape etc.  The 28 having the herringbone purfling and scalloped braces as about the only difference.  Do they sound much different? (I think I've read that you have a D-28 and another model as well).   Appreciate if you would expound on their differences as far as sound goes.  Also do you have pickups in any of them or not?

The 35 has a 3 peice back, and non scalloped 1/4" bracing.  And binding on the fretboard. The 28 has the traditional 2 peice back and non scalloped 5/16 bracing. All wood the same on both for neck, back, sides, top, and fretboard.

Edited by Sgt. Pepper
  • Like 1

4 minutes ago, SteveFord said:

That looks beautiful!

The D35 should be a warmer sounding guitar than the 28, more emphasis on the low end.  

This will come in handy when doing Black Sabbath unplugged.  

Warm is exactly what one needs when playing NIB.

Edited by Sgt. Pepper

'  The former owner put ebony bridge pins in and a new bridge that needs to be replace as it is slimmer than the slot.'

I take it you mean saddle .. not bridge?

D-35's have a good reputation for having plenty of volume - Many Martin fans claim them to be the loudest in the line-up.

Wait until he mounts the trapeze tail piece - then you'll get some volume out of that sucker!

I AM IRON MAN oh yeah...

I have to go to Nazreth and give the high end room a dose of I AM MARTIN MAN and see how long it takes for them to kick me out.

Edited by SteveFord

Nothing compares to a NGD.   Congrats.  Makes it even better when it's a 'find' like this one. Purdy.   Hats off to all those guys out there who buy brand-spanking-new, high end acoustics and decide they don't like them after a couple of three strums - so we can scarf them up.   

16 hours ago, Twang Gang said:

Congrats - looks very nice.  I am not that familiar with the Martin line.  From what I see on their website the D-28 and the D-35 are very similar.  Same shape, body wood, top wood, scale length, neck shape etc.  The 28 having the herringbone purfling and scalloped braces as about the only difference.  Do they sound much different? (I think I've read that you have a D-28 and another model as well).   Appreciate if you would expound on their differences as far as sound goes.  Also do you have pickups in any of them or not?

I used to have a D-28 and it sounded really good.  I think the D-35 is the loudest one of them all.  I sold my D-28 to fund the D-41 and the first D-35 I had.

• Like 1

16 hours ago, SteveFord said:

Wait until he mounts the trapeze tail piece - then you'll get some volume out of that sucker!

I AM IRON MAN oh yeah...

I have to go to Nazreth and give the high end room a dose of I AM MARTIN MAN and see how long it takes for them to kick me out.

You would be booted by the time you did the behind the nut bend. On the E or A string? Been a while since I slugged through some BS. 

Edited by Sgt. Pepper

10 hours ago, Sgt. Pepper said:

...I need to install the end pin too. I'm glad he put ebony pins on it. I would have done it any. 

I drill a hole above the end pin spot and hammer drill a dunlop strap lock on there.   That thing is bangin.  I would be all over that for our acoustic set.  Very nice, congratulations on that one!

rct

• Like 1