Gibson Brands Forums

Slow Motion Impulse Purchase

SteveFord

When I was in my very early teens my parents bought me a Univox Les Paul at the guitar store where I was taking lessons.  I dragged that thing around everywhere I went and dreamed that someday I would have the real thing instead of the Univox.  

I have no idea if the Univox was any good or not as it's been so long but I suspect it was pretty crappy.  Hardly iconic but I liked it nonetheless.  I had a real life Les Paul copy, oh boy oh boy!  It's like the guitar on Get Yer Ya-Yas out album...

I must have sold it somewhere along the way, probably when I bought my first Gibson, an SG Standard.  Never looked back after that SG...

Wouldn't you know, those sneaky fellows at Gibson came out with a look alike for my old Univox.  I took one look and I was sunk.  Curse you, Gibson guitars!!!

So, nearly 50 years later we have some incoming ICONICness to help while away the pandemic, a 2020 50s neck Standard.

Qi3Q67z.jpg

rVttsGm.jpg

I'll probably play it some and go back to a Firebird which is what I really like BUT at least I'll finally have realized that boyhood ambition of  upgrading that Univox.

• Like 2

I won't see if until next week but I think it should be okay.  The 60s profile necks have hotter pick ups but I was afraid the neck would feel too insubstantial so took a chance on this one.

Already got the strap for it and ordered up another box of 11s so I can restring it.

Gibson always does such a nice job on the shading which kept drawing me back to this one.  Kind of understated but still has some stuff going on in the woodgrain.

I think it'll be a bit of a step up from that Univox!

Univox was considered to be better than some of my early guitars, but I soon developed taste for early 60's Epiphones, I wasn't into Gibsons until much later in the 90's when I got my SG-X. Anyway, your new Les Paul looks really nice... Keep up the good work...

But if I bought another amp I'd need to buy another  10 guitars to not screw up with guitar/amp ratio.  I guess I could do it given enough time.

I can't tell with the back because whenever I think I see a seam it disappears into the stain so guess I'll have to wait.

j87NcBh.jpg

I for one can't believe you are getting another guitar.  Very tasty flame on it. If that is the color, it is a burst and we will allow it. When you get it you better tell us its a tasty burst.  My 335 was that color. 

Edited by Sgt. Pepper

Tasty, you say?

Does that mean I have to be like the one guy and Lick The Nitro (kind of like a demented version of Spinal Tap's Smell The Glove)?  

I was so impressed by that Gold Top I just knew I'd have to go with one with humbuckers to complete the set.

Hope it lives up to my expectations.

1 hour ago, SteveFord said:

Tasty, you say?

Does that mean I have to be like the one guy and Lick The Nitro (kind of like a demented version of Spinal Tap's Smell The Glove)?  

I was so impressed by that Gold Top I just knew I'd have to go with one with humbuckers to complete the set.

Hope it lives up to my expectations.

It's 1982 get out of the 60's.

I saw a sneak preview of this movie before it came out. I still laugh my a-ss off to this day when I watch it.

Edited by Sgt. Pepper

2 hours ago, ghost_of_fl said:

There is a DVD version with extra footage - since a lot of the acting was improv, it's nearly double the length of what they actually released.    Notably, a lot of Billy Crystals part hit the cutting room floor - really hilarious stuff.  

I have it. I used to have the t-shirt we all got at the sneak preview too.  I also used to have  the huge ticket we used for entrance.  We went cause my buddy entered the Guitar Center Drum Off which he was a finalist and the comp. was right before the movie in the theater.

He didn't win. A guy who went to the same HS as we did won. The winner locked it in with the drum into to Rock Candy

Edited by Sgt. Pepper

Overshot that one number a while ago.  The problem is Gibson made so many really interesting variants over the years, they were really busy.  You've got the P90 models, humbuckers, ebony fret board Custom (which I don't have), Specials, the mini humbucker one, then the Recording series, hollow body ones, all sorts of stuff.

When I first picked up the guitar again after a long hiatus I bought two: a 335 Satin and a Les Paul Studio.  They were both used from the local Guitar Center, inexpensive and while they're not the fanciest things ever made they're keepers.

On 11/28/2020 at 3:08 PM, SteveFord said:

When I was in my very early teens my parents bought me a Univox Les Paul at the guitar store where I was taking lessons.  I dragged that thing around everywhere I went and dreamed that someday I would have the real thing instead of the Univox.  

I have no idea if the Univox was any good or not as it's been so long but I suspect it was pretty crappy.  Hardly iconic but I liked it nonetheless.  I had a real life Les Paul copy, oh boy oh boy!  It's like the guitar on Get Yer Ya-Yas out album...

I must have sold it somewhere along the way, probably when I bought my first Gibson, an SG Standard.  Never looked back after that SG...

Wouldn't you know, those sneaky fellows at Gibson came out with a look alike for my old Univox.  I took one look and I was sunk.  Curse you, Gibson guitars!!!

So, nearly 50 years later we have some incoming ICONICness to help while away the pandemic, a 2020 50s neck Standard.

Qi3Q67z.jpg

rVttsGm.jpg

I'll probably play it some and go back to a Firebird which is what I really like BUT at least I'll finally have realized that boyhood ambition of  upgrading that Univox.

Double extra, super awesome cool!

Thank you, one and all.  I'll post pics once it arrives and I've set it up and messed around with it some.  Figure late next week.

I wrote to the seller and had him loosen the strings and bubble wrap the headstock so it can't move around.  I'd prefer not to file an insurance claim, one for the Empty Box Special was enough.  Still have the box from that one and became friends with the seller, he moves a LOT of really nice guitars.  Doesn't keep them, just buys them, plays them, and resells them.  Last one was a Gold Top with that bizarre trapeze tail piece.

In case you guys haven't noticed, whenever I'm really worried about things I buy guitars.  This year I've been VERY worried.

Probably worried enough to pay off some bills and then maybe work towards one I've been thinking about since around 1976.

First of all Steve how do we know its ICONIC?  Just because some half bald guy who wears a leather jacket and screams at us that its Iconic does not make it iconic. I need proof. Where is the proof? Do you have paperwork stating as such? If I have a dog that that is a pure breed I will have papers for it and it will need its shots too. 

Edited by Sgt. Pepper

Oooh - that is a beauty.  You'll get used the 50s neck, they are not unwieldly and without doing a side by side comparison I'm guessing the pickups in the 50s model sound more vintage.  Great find - looking forward to more photos when it arrives.  Truly ICONIC burst!!