Gibson Brands Forums

Nut issues.

LarryUK

I'm seeing lots of posts online about cracks in nuts etc on Les Paul's. When you see the pics it's always lacquer on the nut. Poor masking and bad finishing. Then there are complaints about binding finishing. 

When are Gibson going to address these issues? It's clearly a problem that could be sorted. I've watched the factory videos and the people that finish the guitars are clearly not luthiers. They are cheap labour brought in from anywhere. Even the dealers could sort it. I've had one with it. I just edged the nut with a blade and popped the offending bit of  lacquer off.  I have to say that foreign factories are getting the edge on quality over Gibson, especially Japan. 

They won't. I've played Gibsons for the past ten years because I love the tone, and if they cared about QC, they would have addressed QC issues. They've had all the time in the world. 

It's simple - cheap labor is cheap, and they try to churn out as much product in as short a time as possible to maximize profits. 

How do you tell if someone is a luthier or not from watching a video? Why presume the Japanese guy is a real luthier and the American not? 

Been a while since I’ve walked into a guitar store but in my experience Asian guitars do not have any edge over American guitars and never have. Disregarding the price that is..

53 minutes ago, badbluesplayer said:

There's always lacquer going halfway up the nut on every Gibson I see.  They've made 18 quintillion guitars that way.  Why stop now? 

If it didn't have the lacquer on the nut its an easy way to tell its a Chibson.

• Haha 2

If you look at the "Careers at Gibson" section of the website you'll see that a "Scraper" job at Bozeman pays $19 - $22 per hour.  I wouldn't consider that cheap labor.  I have 3 Gibson guitars right now and sold three others not too long ago - none of them had any lacquer on the nut, and none of the nuts were cracked.  Granted a very small sample, and maybe I've just been lucky but I have never had these problems.  On the other hand the nut slots are almost always a little too narrow especially on the G and B strings causing them to bind, but 5 minutes with a file in the right hands solves those problems.

• Thanks 1

I'm reasonably happy with my nuts at the moment as they're working fine.....[biggrin]

I've still got a couple of soft pencils - 2B - for graphite.

Nut material and its effect on tone comes up in acoustic discussions.   Fit must be good and snug.   My own feeling is that it's less important on an electric.   Brass?  I remember.  

I haven't tried a guitar with the Buzz Feiten or Earvana compensated nut but would like to.   

Apparently you can't go heavier than 10s on a Fender LSR roller nut...? 

Edited by jdgm
  • Like 1

I have long fancied installing roller nuts and roller bridge pieces on at least one of my guitars, but for some reason I have never pulled the trigger on that project.

Seems like it would have to be better for the strings to go across rollers rather than hard edges and stick-worthy bone or plastic. 

😬

BN-0264-010_1_1024x1024.jpg?v=1464250326

robrchplfile.jpg&maxx=500&maxy=0

• Thanks 1

27 minutes ago, rct said:

That is some crazy hardware daddy-o.

rct

All non destructive, you can take it off and you'll never know it was there. Thanks to Duesenberg.

Oh, my standard setup Mean 90's, nickel roller bridge and Les Trem II.

n8QJM5S.jpg

Edited by mihcmac
  • Like 1

On 2/21/2021 at 10:20 PM, jdgm said:

Apparently you can't go heavier than 10s on a Fender LSR roller nut...? 

I'm certain I read that about the Jeff Beck Strat though don't know where.....but I now found out it's NOT true as the nut slots can be widened and, according to this Warmoth page, can take up from 008 to 024 on the 1st string.   Fender only make a right-hand version, so to install on a LH guitar the slots need some attention.

https://www.warmoth.com/Fenderreg-LSR-Roller-Nut-1-1116-Wide-Chrome-P305.aspx

What I should have written was that a Wllkinson roller nut (used on early JB Strats and many more)  can't take heavier than 010s, which is why Fender changed in the 90s.. 

Edited by jdgm