Gibson Brands Forums

Anyone want to guess a price on the new Noel Gallagher J-150?

meanstreak

1 hour ago, slimt said:

That one is interesting.  It could just be the camera angle, but it looks like the left side of the back has lots of flame while the right side has little.  

Mine has almost no flame on the rear of it, but there's some nice flame on the shoulders.  I think I prefer having it on the shoulders if I had to choose.

On 7/3/2021 at 8:56 PM, golfski said:

2) The strings/neck is pretty 'tacky' - not sticky like there is a substance, but my fingers don't glide as well on it - I assume some of this is the more matte and thin finish and some new guitar - just making sure nothing is wrong on my specific guitar.   I've never bought an acoustic this new - I was definitely one first person to open since being sealed from Gibson and this thing went on a US tour to get to me (another story for another time!).

I wondered about tacky NGD strings, too. Then it occurred to me that is one thing I did not like about guitar store wall jobs. I used to think it was folks with certain body chemical type. My Son has a friend like that. It cost me $5 every time he came over. Anyhow, now I think that might just be something like the D'Addario coating feeling I never liked.

• Like 1

GC inventory update...

Still no change.  Waiting on Gibson to finish the prep and ship our last 8.  You may see what looks to be an additional charge to your card on the order.  This is just us continuing the "pending charge" a little longer.  We can't actually process/batch the payment until the guitar is shipped to you, so we're just holding the $$ as pending to ensure your charge goes through the moment we ship...  neither of us want your card to decline at the last moment!  Happy to answer specific questions with a DM. 

Will update again next week!

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

39 minutes ago, cunningham26 said:

all the reverb ones have been marked sold. a store in CT got one and sold it at msrp- lucky buyer on that one!

Yep they are gone. You can still buy a NG case though with a glue glob for $400🤯

https://reverb.com/item/41917621-gibson-noel-gallagher-j-150-or-sj-200-brown-leather-acoustic-case-2021?utm_source=android-app&utm_medium=android-share&utm_campaign=listing&utm_content=41917621

• Like 1

What are others using for strings on their J-150?  I am not liking these factory ones and thinking of going to Martin PB MA540 (Light) or MA550 (Mediums).  I use them on all my other acoustics and have the mediums on my Epi EJ200SCE.

I just don't like the texture and they seem rather small even compared to the Martin 540's (Lights).  If I end up not liking the Martin's and trying to get back to factory, what are the factory strings?  I have seen some J200 strings online - but I've also seen these are just DAddario light PB's.  

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, golfski said:

What are others using for strings on their J-150?  I am not liking these factory ones and thinking of going to Martin PB MA540 (Light) or MA550 (Mediums).  I use them on all my other acoustics and have the mediums on my Epi EJ200SCE.

I just don't like the texture and they seem rather small even compared to the Martin 540's (Lights).  If I end up not liking the Martin's and trying to get back to factory, what are the factory strings?  I have seen some J200 strings online - but I've also seen these are just DAddario light PB's.  

If you stretch out your boundaries to include those with experience on maple SJ-200s, a couple of us here just adore the John Pearse 80/20 Lights. My current SJ-200 (RW) digs 'em too, but it REALLY likes the "New Mediums" size of the same string.

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, BoSoxBiker said:

If you stretch out your boundaries to include those with experience on maple SJ-200s, a couple of us here just adore the John Pearse 80/20 Lights. My current SJ-200 (RW) digs 'em too, but it REALLY likes the "New Mediums" size of the same string.

Definitely want Maple J-200 recommendations - I would assume its the same experience?  Most of the info I have seen so far is on J-200's but have only ever used Martin Acoustic strings on my acoustics (and enjoy them).  

I use normal PB (92% Copper) - with 80/20 would I notice much of a difference in feel?  I know I don't like those coated strings, I don't care if they sound awesome they are just too weird in my fingers.

• Like 1

15 hours ago, Jalex said:

Is there anything unique about the case that I'm not aware of?  Seems like just a regular case to me.

Edited by meanstreak

1 hour ago, meanstreak said:

Is there anything unique about the case that I'm not aware of?  Seems like just a regular case to me.

I think it's just the color of the interior. I haven't seen yellow on many modern Gibson cases.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, golfski said:

Definitely want Maple J-200 recommendations - I would assume its the same experience?  Most of the info I have seen so far is on J-200's but have only ever used Martin Acoustic strings on my acoustics (and enjoy them).  

I use normal PB (92% Copper) - with 80/20 would I notice much of a difference in feel?  I know I don't like those coated strings, I don't care if they sound awesome they are just too weird in my fingers.

I've got Martins on 2 or 3 of mine right now. I don't much like coated strings either. though a couple have been better than others. The new D'Add XTs were not awful on my Dove. A little chirpy or scratchy, perhaps?

I'm horrible at the string sound description game. Some folks say 80/20's are brighter than PBs, but I always thought warmer. All's I know is that at least three different sets of 80/20's gave me a warm tone that I could feel emanate from the guitar as well as I how I could hear. One was actually coated - one of the Elixer variations.

The good thing is that there's not going to be a whole lot that sound bad on your guitar. 🙂

Do a search for user name Jinder and a few string experiments he did towards the end of the Pandemic on his SJ-200.

• Like 1

GC inventory update...

Guitars are beginning to ship!  Keep space on your method of payment available funds so we have no last-minute declines.  These are trickling out about 1-2 per week, at the moment.  DM me if you need more info/details as always.

Thanks!

#itsgettingbetterman

• Like 3

On 7/13/2021 at 4:15 AM, BoSoxBiker said:

I've got Martins on 2 or 3 of mine right now. I don't much like coated strings either. though a couple have been better than others. The new D'Add XTs were not awful on my Dove. A little chirpy or scratchy, perhaps?

I'm horrible at the string sound description game. Some folks say 80/20's are brighter than PBs, but I always thought warmer. All's I know is that at least three different sets of 80/20's gave me a warm tone that I could feel emanate from the guitar as well as I how I could hear. One was actually coated - one of the Elixer variations.

The good thing is that there's not going to be a whole lot that sound bad on your guitar. 🙂

Do a search for user name Jinder and a few string experiments he did towards the end of the Pandemic on his SJ-200.

So I ended up putting Martin MA540 PB on there and while it is familiar sound to me, it definitely took some of the sparkle out of the guitar.  The factory strings sounded good, I just didn't like them under my fingers.  I got a pack of DAddario PB Mediums, which I think are the next set up from the factory size wise and going to see if I like them better.

• Like 1

So I was able to “pre order” one. At least that’s what I was told. Contacted a few guitar centers and one guy there told me basically to go to another GC pay for it well just the amount. And he will get it transferred to his store and “pay for it”. So after a few weeks he still ensures me I have pre ordered the guitar and waiting for shipment from Gibson. But I have yet to receive anything from guitar center to confirm my order or anything like that. Any advice? You guys think I’m good?

• Like 1

16 hours ago, golfski said:

So I ended up putting Martin MA540 PB on there and while it is familiar sound to me, it definitely took some of the sparkle out of the guitar.  The factory strings sounded good, I just didn't like them under my fingers.  I got a pack of DAddario PB Mediums, which I think are the next set up from the factory size wise and going to see if I like them better.

Good luck with the D'Adds. Lots of folks like them.

I had tried those for the first time recently. It was on my Dove. My notes tell me I thought them to be edgy with a little bit of growl to them(whatever that meant) and "Variable brightness depending on the pick". When I write something like that in my note, it tells me the pick had an even bigger effect than normal. I also wrote they armed up and mellowed out after 3 days. (minimum of an hour a day)

String experimenting is a fun little side activity for me, in additional to being a pit of a pick junkie. 🙂

2 hours ago, Michaelcola said:

So I was able to “pre order” one. At least that’s what I was told. Contacted a few guitar centers and one guy there told me basically to go to another GC pay for it well just the amount. And he will get it transferred to his store and “pay for it”. So after a few weeks he still ensures me I have pre ordered the guitar and waiting for shipment from Gibson. But I have yet to receive anything from guitar center to confirm my order or anything like that. Any advice? You guys think I’m good?

I've only pre-ordered an instrument (banjo) once from GC.  I got paperwork confirming/receipting my downpayment.  Not sure why you wouldn't have gotten some confirmation of your 'reservation'  from one of the 2 GCs.  Did you ask for something  better than a verbal assurance?   

4 hours ago, Michaelcola said:

I would send a message to fellow forum member https://forum.gibson.com/profile/107188-orchid121480/

As he works for GC he might be able to confirm your order.

• Thanks 1

7 hours ago, Michaelcola said:

I would go to the store where you supposedly have one "on order" and ask to speak with the Store Manager.  Ask for verification and an order number. If you aren't satisfied with what you hear, DM me and I can get details for you.

Thanks, and good luck!

I just wanted to share my experience ordering one of these guitars from Guitar Center, unfortunately it is not a positive one. 

I placed an order on June 21 for this guitar, it finally shipped on July 13 and I got it later that week. The guitar was shipped in a plain outer shipping box, with the Gibson factory box inside. Immediately, I could tell something was wrong as the Gibson box had a broken factory seal (which reads "Check contents if seal is broken" and on opening the lid, the factory packaging materials were out of place and incomplete. When I opened the case, the guitar I received had no orange sound hole label at all (signed or not), no Little by Little lyrics sheet, no Adidas sticker. It also had a Humidipak (unopened) in the case and the shoulders of the guitar were dusty, like it had been sitting out of its case for a while. The quality checklist was signed off on June 29, but I was told here that my ordered guitar was still being finished the first week of July.

Was this guitar a return that was pilfered from? Did someone in GC's warehouse mess with it? Would Gibson even ship a guitar without a sound hole label? Would that get through quality control?

I immediately called Guitar Center to request that the guitar either be made complete, or better yet, that it is simply swapped with another pending order and GC can figure out how to fix this with Gibson. Instead, I was told my only option was to return the guitar or accept a discount. Obviously these are sold out, so returning isn't really a viable solution. 

I contacted Orchid here, who has been helpful in elevating the matter, but nearly a week later, I still have no acceptable solution. Another call to GC customer service says they'll check with the warehouse and call back. Still waiting. Meanwhile, GC employee orders for this guitar are being filled while all of this unfolds. Interesting!

The moral of the story is to think twice before ordering a high-end guitar from Guitar Center. When things go wrong, this is the mess you end up in. Meanwhile, my 45-day return window continues to shorten.

• Confused 1

Finally received mine today.  I ordered a while ago w/ Wildwood Guitars.  I knew this guitar would be available right in the middle of a move (retired out of the AF and moved to a different location).  Anyway, they held onto it and was delivered to a local FedEx facility.  I would upload pictures but the file is too large.  The back of mine has huge flame.  Looks and sounds fantastic.  

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Swan Song said:

Finally received mine today.  I ordered a while ago w/ Wildwood Guitars.  I knew this guitar would be available right in the middle of a move (retired out of the AF and moved to a different location).  Anyway, they held onto it and was delivered to a local FedEx facility.  I would upload pictures but the file is too large.  The back of mine has huge flame.  Looks and sounds fantastic.  

Congrats. I ordered mine through Musicians Friend. Apparently they are still behind on shipping these out. Hopefully I'll get it in the next couple of weeks. Glad to hear your happy with yours.

13 hours ago, RJ80 said:

I just wanted to share my experience ordering one of these guitars from Guitar Center, unfortunately it is not a positive one. 

I placed an order on June 21 for this guitar, it finally shipped on July 13 and I got it later that week. The guitar was shipped in a plain outer shipping box, with the Gibson factory box inside. Immediately, I could tell something was wrong as the Gibson box had a broken factory seal (which reads "Check contents if seal is broken" and on opening the lid, the factory packaging materials were out of place and incomplete. When I opened the case, the guitar I received had no orange sound hole label at all (signed or not), no Little by Little lyrics sheet, no Adidas sticker. It also had a Humidipak (unopened) in the case and the shoulders of the guitar were dusty, like it had been sitting out of its case for a while. The quality checklist was signed off on June 29, but I was told here that my ordered guitar was still being finished the first week of July.

Was this guitar a return that was pilfered from? Did someone in GC's warehouse mess with it? Would Gibson even ship a guitar without a sound hole label? Would that get through quality control?

I immediately called Guitar Center to request that the guitar either be made complete, or better yet, that it is simply swapped with another pending order and GC can figure out how to fix this with Gibson. Instead, I was told my only option was to return the guitar or accept a discount. Obviously these are sold out, so returning isn't really a viable solution. 

I contacted Orchid here, who has been helpful in elevating the matter, but nearly a week later, I still have no acceptable solution. Another call to GC customer service says they'll check with the warehouse and call back. Still waiting. Meanwhile, GC employee orders for this guitar are being filled while all of this unfolds. Interesting!

The moral of the story is to think twice before ordering a high-end guitar from Guitar Center. When things go wrong, this is the mess you end up in. Meanwhile, my 45-day return window continues to shorten.

Sorry to hear you got GC'ed. Sometimes it goes well, sometimes not. Your dilemma could almost be a poll question- the whole signature guitar with swag items could most likely only be appreciated by serious Noel G fans. . .  but as you've mentioned, there are items missing (not uncommon for a GC return). You also say these are sold out, and that returning is not an option, but this guitar has had a big reduction in value, so maybe getting the full refund might be the best way to cut your losses. Maybe with time, a 150NG will be returned by an individual who was careful with it and it's associated extras- you could verify all of that before purchasing. Or maybe with a little more time, you might have less of a desire for an NG. In general, the J-150 is a large guitar. . . have you ever spent much time with a superjumbo in your lap? Unless your interest in the guitar is mostly for speculative/investment value, it might not be the player you have in mind.

Record that serial number- keep an internet eye out for that label, and the swag, too.

Good luck with your decision. 

• Like 1