Gibson Brands Forums

Effects

mihcmac

What effects do you use what order? Like do like a Delay going into a Chorus or visa versa.

From my guitar first is a Vox Wah into an RK5 starts with Boost, OD, Preamp with Gain, Vol, B M T and Reverb into a fast repeating Delay to my Amp to the effects loop with Chorus and slow Delay then to the built in Spring Reverb. My Chorus Delay and Reverb are set to provide a light amount of effect, more for conditioning..

So what do you like to use or not use or effect order for your sound including built in effects on your Amp?

There is no rule but I think compressors, pitch shifters, volume pedals and wah's go first, then all your gain stuff, distortion, fuzz, overdrive ect, then modulation like chorus, and flangers then lastly the reverb and echos. If you have an effects loop all the stuff after the gain can go through it.

I used to mess with this stuff when I had electrics. I didn't really hear a difference.

Edited by Sgt. Pepper
  • Thanks 1

two separate pedal boards. one goes in front of amp, other in loop. 

front - input to output : tuner / wah / lil bomb boost / Big Toe boost / Baby Fat boost (Surfpups pedals)

loop - in to out :  univibe / mxr delay / chorus / sonic stomp

• Thanks 1

I must get one of those Sonic Stomps...have said that before.

And redo my pedalboards.  One for the blues/rock covers band and one for the jazz group.  (See? It's a jazz group not a band [laugh]).

This time I'm going to use the KOT and the modded Rat 2 on the blues board; I have a cheapo Mosky Golden Horse for the jazz board overdrive/boost.  First, Keeley 4-knob comp or an old MXR mains limiter (red box) which is a beaut.....Ibanez, MXR , Marshall or Peavey stereo choruses,  analog delays, and also - Marshall VT-1 trem pedal and a modded Boss GE-7 which is one of the best pedal investments I ever made....a cheap Mosky spring reverb or the Marshall reflector which is another very good (stereo) pedal for the money.   I wish I could use my flangers and octavers. I recently bought a Boss SY-1 and HR-2 (lockdown s/h deal) but think that will be a 3rd pedalboard.   

Oh and I start with a Boss volume pedal.   Although I love the stereo pedals I can't be bothered to take 2 amps on a gig usually, not worth it.  But if you do have 2 amps you can put a stereo chorus last and it sounds great.

I don't use an amp loop (so far) - too many leads.  @Karloff any noise issues with that?

And almost never have more than 1 or 2 pedals on at once. 

Edited by jdgm
  • Thanks 1

Peterson Strobostomp, Crybaby Mini, MXR FOD, EarthQuaker Plumes, MXR Timmy, MXR Univibe as chorus, MXR Carbon Copy Delay, MXR Reverb.

The Plumes and the reverb pedal will disappear soon.  Like, by the end of the week.  Plumes is a weak TS to me, and I don't need the reverb pedal.

rct

• Thanks 1

With any pedal, when it's used, it's used just enough to know it's there.

With a Mesa Boogie Express 5:50, Original, 1 x 12" Combo:

Onboard Clean, Crunch, Blues, Burn channels, Contour, Reverb, Gain

FX loop in order- Boss TR-2 Tremolo, Hardwire DL-8 delay/looper, tc electronic Hall of Fame 2 reverb (I really like using an FX loop)

Up front/Direct, guitar to amp, in order- Dunlop 535Q Cry Baby, MXR Super Badass overdrive/distortion (my favorite pedal), electro-harmonix Big Muff Pi Fuzz

With a Fender ToneMaster Deluxe Reverb, upgraded firmware:

Up front/Direct, guitar to amp, in order- an MXR ten band eq pedal, old Dunlop Cry Baby, JHS Proco Rat Distortion pedal, a Boss DD-3T Digital Delay pedal, a Boss Waza Craft DM-2w Analog Delay pedal,  on-board reverb and vibrato (tremolo)

Edited by zigzag
include new info and pedal order
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I rarely ever use pedals but when I do, I place the Compression Sustainer first, Then the Chorus and Screamin' Blues.  But thats rare using them. Same as the B9 Organ Machine. I just use it alone and rarely. With my Zoom G3XN Pedal, It needs nothing else, It has tons of effects on it. 

• Thanks 1

13 hours ago, jdgm said:

I must get one of those Sonic Stomps...have said that before.

And redo my pedalboards.  One for the blues/rock covers band and one for the jazz group.  (See? It's a jazz group not a band [laugh]).

This time I'm going to use the KOT and the modded Rat 2 on the blues board; I have a cheapo Mosky Golden Horse for the jazz board overdrive/boost.  First, Keeley 4-knob comp or an old MXR mains limiter (red box) which is a beaut.....Ibanez, MXR , Marshall or Peavey stereo choruses,  analog delays, and also - Marshall VT-1 trem pedal and a modded Boss GE-7 which is one of the best pedal investments I ever made....a cheap Mosky spring reverb or the Marshall reflector which is another very good (stereo) pedal for the money.   I wish I could use my flangers and octavers. I recently bought a Boss SY-1 and HR-2 (lockdown s/h deal) but think that will be a 3rd pedalboard.   

Oh and I start with a Boss volume pedal.   Although I love the stereo pedals I can't be bothered to take 2 amps on a gig usually, not worth it.  But if you do have 2 amps you can put a stereo chorus last and it sounds great.

I don't use an amp loop (so far) - too many leads.  @Karloff any noise issues with that?

And almost never have more than 1 or 2 pedals on at once. 

no noise at all.  I've really just started using the loop maybe 7 or 8 years ago.  the delay sounds 100% better in the loop.  I wound up buying 3  30' cords and zip tied them together as a loop harness so to speak.  I keep the Sonic Stomp on all the time, use the delay for a handful of tunes, and the boosts for bumping up solos. 

• Thanks 1

I think it's pretty much a foregone conclusion that a compressor should sit as the first one in the chain from the output.

and it's pretty basic  stuff for me.

I have a few rigs.. 

My Marshall DSL,  A heavy gravity compressor and a Line 6 Echo Park in the loop..  that's it..  The DSL channel switching does the rest.  I use the [crazy expensive] marshall 6 button floor switcher, it works great..  

For my Deluxe Reverb, a Boss CP-1X compressor, a line 6  DL4 delay, MXR analog chorus, and a Spark boost. 

My stereo rig (Marhsall JTM60, and HotRod 4x10 Deville) has a Route 66 compressor, Tone Bone Classic, Barber Burn Unit, Line MM4 modultor and DL4 Delay.  I'm slowing working in a Blackstar Dual HT OD.. That one is as touchy a pedal as they get, but it sounds great once dialed in right.  that is used in the orig band, need to cover a lot of sounds for that one.  I don't use the loop since with a stereo setup, that's kind of difficult to accomplish.

Acoustic rig,  a cheap as they come Behringer compressor (that works surprisingly good) a ToneDexter, Boss GE7 (EQ) EH Holy Grail Nano, Pigtronix Delay, Ditto X2.

I'm waiting for the supply chain on a 1936V 2x12 cab, already have the JVM 50w 2 channel head on reserver..  No idea what I'll hook that up with..  Maybe nothing!!!!!!

Edited by kidblast
  • Thanks 1

Just an OD first, then maybe a fuzz.  Sometimes I like a reverb at the end.

I've got way too many ODs (I need to decide which ones I really like), and one fuzz (the Red Witch Fuzz God II) that I just don't like at all.

The only reverb I have is the EHX Holy Grail Nano.  I like it.

• Thanks 1

I forgot the Sugar Drive and back at the amp the 10 band EQ that I wouldn't be without.

Also, underneath the board, Strymon Zuma.  I'm surprised I don't have a spare, it's that good a thing to have.

rct

Very nice collection of Effects and descriptions of how and where to use them.

One consistent idea is putting tuner first so it doesn't normalize you signal. 

I split my tuner off with a Y adapter at the amp so the signal is not going through it to the amp, but it would probably be better dry of effects.

Anyway, lots of good information in here..

1 hour ago, mihcmac said:

Very nice collection of Effects and descriptions of how and where to use them.

One consistent idea is putting tuner first so it doesn't normalize you signal. 

I split my tuner off with a Y adapter at the amp so the signal is not going through it to the amp, but it would probably be better dry of effects.

Anyway, lots of good information in here..

I've seen this normalized signal conspiracy on the innernetz and I don't think it is the thing people think the thing is.  Every pedal buffers to some degree or another, whether they tell you they do or not.  Whatever is out of the tuner is going to be doinked with by every other pedal along the way.  I think most guitar players put it very first so it isn't getting their uberoberdrivestortion sent to it by accident.

rct

• Thanks 1

4 hours ago, rct said:

I've seen this normalized signal conspiracy on the innernetz and I don't think it is the thing people think the thing is.  Every pedal buffers to some degree or another, whether they tell you they do or not.  Whatever is out of the tuner is going to be doinked with by every other pedal along the way.  I think most guitar players put it very first so it isn't getting their uberoberdrivestortion sent to it by accident.

rct

I don't think its anything to worry about too much, I split the tuner off with a Y adapter at my amp,  so the tuner can get the force of my effects but does not reach the amp.

Edited by mihcmac

11 minutes ago, mihcmac said:

I don't think its anything to worry about too much, I split the tuner off with a Y adapter at my amp,  so the tuner can get the force of my effects but does not reach the amp.

Your tuner doesn't mute the out?

rct

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, rct said:

Your tuner doesn't mute the out?

rct

Doesn't need to , coming off of the Y adapter at the amp it only uses the tuner line in.

02740892_00_grande.jpg?v=1610479402

On the upper right you can see the adapter plugged in to the amp with short right angle cord going to the tuner, also interconnecting the lower amp using another adapter with the line in. 

S2YqRZ4.jpg

Edited by mihcmac

I guess why I don't use pedals often is because the Tube amp has Reverb, Delay, Chorus, Tremolo, Varatone on it & thats all I need. It has a,  +DLY on the top setting.  I don't know what that means and have tried looking it up. I can't find out but it does sound great. Haha. 

• Thanks 1