Gibson Brands Forums

Same amp question again

Rabs

Yes, so I have come back around to this question of what small amp to get...

I will tell you exactly what I want it for and it will mostly be to take out and demo a guitar to someone... So I do want it to sound good....

Where I am at now is I go between some small 1 or 5w tube amp at about £300 ish or one of the modelling amps.

My thoughts go between.. I want a tube sound as nothing else really sounds like it. To, I just want something light but maybe capable of more than one sound (which is what you generally get with these small amps)...

So its sorta between one of the small tube combo Marshalls like the DSL 1CR Marshall DSL1CR 1W 1x8 Valve Combo with Reverb | PMT Online

OR a Marshall Code or Fender Mustang or Katana????  

I cant quite decide which way to go..

Opinions??  

2 minutes ago, Fish Crumpet said:

If you can go 15 watts, the Fender Blues Junior is perfect. The master volume will give you decent overdrive at low volumes and the bigger speaker makes all the difference, whereas super low-watt boxes sound, well, boxy.  The bonus is,  of course, the tube amp sag/bloom.

Modeling amps are another story and not my  thing.

Good luck.

Cheers.. Just had  a look and my issue with that is the price.. Its just getting a bit much for an amp I probably wont use that much...

• Like 1

Roland Cube.  Cheap as chips and you ought to try one.  

I say that because I've got one (Micro-Cube) which cost £40 s/h and I've done duo gigs with it.   And I'm not a modelling guy.

They come in different sizes I think.

Edited by jdgm

Just now, jdgm said:

I say that because I've got one which cost £40 s/h and I've done duo gigs with it.   And I'm not a modelling guy.

Ok cool I will check them out.. Cheers...

3 minutes ago, jdgm said:

I say that because I've got one (Micro-Cube) which cost £40 s/h and I've done duo gigs with it.   And I'm not a modelling guy.

They must have gone up some...

Search results for: 'roland cube' (pmtonline.co.uk)

Not that the price is the issue as such anyway..  Just want something small that sounds good.. But as said above maybe something that has more than one good sound if you know what I mean. Some of the modelling amps sound way better than they used too.

Edited by Rabs

HI Rabs,

can't go wrong with the Blues Jr.  I know it's a bit pricy for guitar demos, but if your aim to sell guitars, a good sounding amp is key.

Also don't know who you're selling to.  Experienced players should be able to account for an amp tone, whereas a novice player may not.

Best Regards and good luck!

Maybe look into http://www.mahaffayamps.com/little-lanilei-quarter-watt.htm.  It's only .25 W, but it's all tube and sounds great for what it is.  It takes up very little space.  I've got one, and it's a cool little amp. 

But if you want something "capable of more than one sound", you might have to supplement with a pedal or two.

Just now, Mr. Natural said:

Maybe look into http://www.mahaffayamps.com/little-lanilei-quarter-watt.htm.  It's only .25 W, but it's all tube and sounds great for what it is.  It takes up very little space.  I've got one, and it's a cool little amp. 

But if you want something "capable of more than one sound", you might have to supplement with a pedal or two.

Cheers but I am not looking to get anything shipped over.. Such a pain these days sadly....

I have been looking about and checking demos and the like. I think I may have found what I want with the Vox VT series...  I like that its a modelling amp but still with some tube going on.. These demos make it sound pretty good.

30 minutes ago, ghost_of_fl said:

The Vox amps sound good.  Also, the customer would have the ability to plug in a set of headphones.   Fender Mustang amps sound really good through headphones and they all have stereo effects.    Not sure if these Vox amps have that going on. 

Actually these AV series may be even better.. Apparently rather than being a digital modelling amp like the VT, its all valve and has the actual circuits. So its an analogue modelling amp..

Imteresting

You know I am quite torn over these two amps.. Both have their pros and cons.. They both sound pretty good in the demos. The AV series are more traditional with some effects (I like the idea of the analogue circuit modelling) but then if I am to go down that route the VT series is more adjustable and customisable with way more features..

I guess I will have to go and have a look and a play. But am pretty impressed with what I have heard so far.

1 hour ago, Rabs said:

You know I am quite torn over these two amps.. Both have their pros and cons.. They both sound pretty good in the demos. The AV series are more traditional with some effects (I like the idea of the analogue circuit modelling) but then if I am to go down that route the VT series is more adjustable and customisable with way more features..

I guess I will have to go and have a look and a play. But am pretty impressed with what I have heard so far.

The acid test. Ears choose. Good luck Rabs.

I have a Blues Junior Tweed, Marshall Origin 20C and lots of modellers on my computer...all great, but the amp I suggest is the Yamaha THRII. It is not tube (it's a standalone modeller, no computer needed) but is extremely flattering to any guitar, very light and small and has built in effects that you can edit basically from the amp, or more deeply from computer or phone app. 

I've been spending most of my time recently playing through this amp at home. Great for lower volumes but can go pretty loud. It's stereo and there is a battery version so you don't even need mains power to use it. It's recommended as a quick go to amp by several professionals, e.g Daniel Steinhardt (That Pedal Show), Chris Buck etc..

Check this from 2 mins in..

13 hours ago, Rabs said:

Yes, so I have come back around to this question of what small amp to get...

I will tell you exactly what I want it for and it will mostly be to take out and demo a guitar to someone... So I do want it to sound good....

Mate, I don't know the specific models, but if its to demo your Rabswood creations then I'd be going for a Fender every time - people will want to hear how the guitar projects what they are playing to the amp and if it plays truly,  not how cool a driven amp sounds... so the beautiful cleans with a bit of spring reverb sounds would be just the ticket, no?

Take a tube screamer or whatever along if no appropriate drive channel, and they want to teat that, but I wouldn't go Marshall - who would want to hear what their prospective purchase sounds like through a little Marshall with that one good sounding setting you've got to search for and try and dial in? A big Marshall would be different, but I'd go Fender every time for what you said its for....but its your business not mine of course. [smile]

if it was down to a modeler, and the choice was Mustang or Code,  go with the Mustang.   I've had both, the Fender is better.

the only modeler I  have now a Deluxe Reverb Tone Master (Blonde version) and if that was in your budget, I'd say that's the one.

The attenuator lets you run that a low wattage, (lowest is 1 watt)   I know it's not "A DELUXE" by tradition, as it's not a tube amp, but IMHO it's one helluvah good sounding solid state amp and I think it really does nail what a Deluxe does.  

If the amp is specifically for demonstrating a guitar to a potential buyer I would recommend a tube amp with a good speaker.  If you use a modelling amp, then the person is just going to hear what the amp programmer thought was a good effect.  If you want them to hear what the guitar itself sounds like amplified, then a good clean tube sound is accurate.  I would not even consider a solid state modelling amp for this purpose.

Not sure where you might be doing these demonstrations?  At a guitar show you probably need an amp with a headphone jack as there is so much other noise going on.  Lastly if someone was coming to show me a guitar I'd really like to play it through my own amplifier as that is what it will sound like when I play it whether at home or at a gig.

Thanks everyone..

Well I have my Slash amp which I love and I was using for guitar shows... And I was happy with it (am happy with it)....

This new one is for smaller demos and for when I finish a guitar I can try it out and maybe let other people have a go..  Call it a workshop amp.... (and I am certainly not using my Slash amp as a workshop amp 🙂

So its not necessarily  for big demos.. just for me and other people to check my guitars at work.. 

I am looking at hiring out a work space at the workshop I used to work at and will need a demo amp..  It could be used to show potential customers but not quite yet.. Depending on how long I stay there. Its why I dont want to go too crazy on the cost of it.

Edited by Rabs

12 minutes ago, Sgt. Pepper said:

Do you want a tube amp or SS or don't care either way?

I want it to sound good...  In my head tube amps always sound better but the newest modelling amps do sound pretty good..  As said its only for doing demos so I dont want to go too mad on the price.... My issue with the small tube amps is they often only have one good sound so its why  I am thinking of one of the ones with a tube built in that seems to sound better than the normal SS amps.

Edited by Rabs

2 hours ago, ghost_of_fl said:

Twang makes a good point - those modeling amps tend to cover up what the actual instrument sounds like (even though it can sound good).   If I were the customer, I would prefer to see a small tube amp.  

Yeah I hear yah..  But thats why I quite like the Vox AV15..  Its not really a modelling amp.... I just dont wanna spend £600 on something for the workshop... Seems a bit OTT to me?? And the other small tube amps are usually just too basic or just not that nice.

I’d forget about SS Amps altogether.. Especially if you want great Sound.. I’d recommend that Tube Fender Pro Jr or the Vox AC10-C1... 

You’ll continue to use these long after your modeling Digital phase wears out.... Great little worker Amps for your purpose but also for Recording, Rehearsal, Noodling & small Gigs too....

Check these out..

https://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/AC10C1--vox-ac10c1-10-watt-1x10-inch-tube-combo

https://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/ProJr4--fender-pro-junior-iv-15-watt-1x10-inch-tube-combo-amp

• Thanks 1

27 minutes ago, Larsongs said:

I’d forget about SS Amps altogether.. Especially if you want great Sound.. I’d recommend that Tube Fender Pro Jr or the Vox AC10-C1... 

You’ll continue to use these long after your modeling Digital phase wears out.... Great little worker Amps for your purpose but also for Recording, Rehearsal, Noodling & small Gigs too....

Check these out..

https://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/AC10C1--vox-ac10c1-10-watt-1x10-inch-tube-combo

https://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/ProJr4--fender-pro-junior-iv-15-watt-1x10-inch-tube-combo-amp

Cheers.. Again they are getting a bit expensive for a workshop amp..  Which is where it will probably sit most of the time...  And as said, the ones above are kind of hybrid amps with tubes in them.. They do seem to sound better than the normal all digital SS amps.

3 hours ago, Rabs said:

Cheers.. Again they are getting a bit expensive for a workshop amp..  Which is where it will probably sit most of the time...  And as said, the ones above are kind of hybrid amps with tubes in them.. They do seem to sound better than the normal all digital SS amps.

Both are in the £300 range & both are far more than just a Work Shop Amp... My Apologies, I’m not a Digital Modelling fan as the louder you play the harsher it sounds. I’m a Tube guy who likes the Clean, Dirt, Reverb & Trem from the Tube Amp where the loude you play the sweeter it sounds. If any other FX are needed I’d get it from great Pedals.

I doubt I’d buy a Guitar from listening to it thru a Digital modeling Amp. For me, that in itself would cast a negative on the quality of the Guitar.. Again my apologies.. I’m just telling it like I see it..

Edited by Larsongs