Gibson Brands Forums

Don Everly R.I.P.

jdgm

Aw, man!  That sucks.  I can't believe I didn't hear about this elsewhere.

I remember a PBS special about the brothers a couple of years ago and it was delightful to see Don still contributing insights via interview footage.  It was then too, I learned that character actor JAMES BEST was a cousin of their's.  

I always loved Phil and Don's music, and through the early days of rock, into the "British invasion" period and through the psychedelia era, "acid rock", "Prog rock" and beyond, never stopped being a fan.    I can remember those early days when you had to go into the "Country/Western" bins of a record shop to find their recordings.  I remember an interview with Don in the late '70's when he was joking about that, and how record label producers told the brothers that Rock'n'Roll  was, "Just a FAD!"  [laugh]

Rest In Peace Don.  You've well earned it.

Whiteang

• Like 1

Very sad…..extremely talented….he sang harmonies that people have been trying to duplicate for over half a century.  

A friend of mine said he was in Marine boot camp with both Don and Phil.  I’d never ever heard this…you’d think The Everly Brothers being in the Marines would be news enough…..but both at the same time….man, that’s simply HUGE!

• Like 1

Yes sad news the passing of Don Everly.  The Everly Brothers were a great duo and a great influence on many bands including The Beatles who strangely enough never covered them.  Of the original 50s rock n rollers I think only Jerry Lee Lewis and a couple of The Crickets are still around. 

Did THEY design that,  or someone on the Gibson design staff?  

A friend of mine once had an "Everly Brothers" signature Gibson.  Long time ago.  It WAS a nice ax and I haven't seen him or it in over forty years.  I don't even know if he still has it or not.

Whitefang

49 minutes ago, Whitefang said:

Did THEY design that,  or someone on the Gibson design staff?  

A friend of mine once had an "Everly Brothers" signature Gibson.  Long time ago.  It WAS a nice ax and I haven't seen him or it in over forty years.  I don't even know if he still has it or not.

Whitefang

I very much like the EV J-180 guitar.

I've never played one and only seen reissues I think. But I love the look (with those star fretmarkers) even though as Steve says it can't do much for the sound surely? Must inhibit the top from vibrating.

Thought they were basically SJ-200s but Wiki says J-185.  How accurate is this article? 

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gibson_Everly_Brothers_Flattop

"The guitar that Don gave to Albert Lee is not an 'Everly Brothers Model', but a 1958 SJ_200 finished in black with cream double pickguards."  Wow.

I wish to this day I'd seen them the last time they played - with Albert in the band -  in Guildford, Surrey (in the late 80s I think).

Edited by jdgm

• 3 weeks later...