Gibson Brands Forums

Here is a true unbelievable story. Any electronic wizards?

Retired

Last night before bedtime, the tv was off. At 2:30 am, I woke up to pee and the tv was on.  So I grabbed the remote and turned it off. It stayed off for about 15 to 20 seconds and then turned on again. I repeated the off again and the tv came back on. This on and off battle continued for about 4 minutes. "What the heck?" So I got back up and turned the light on doing the off and 15 seconds later, back on. Haha, I shouted, "Stupid TV" and Sundance ran downstairs too Deb. (She has been sleeping down there in a recliner because of a sore back and a cough.) Finally, I unplugged it from the wall and that ended it coming back on.  But also, my cell phone & hearing aid charger also went off. So, I plugged it back in the wall, and this TV going off and on started up again. Anything like this ever happen to anyone before?  Very Weird, I thought.  I did something,  and it staid off and still works fine now but I won't say what I did yet till people respond. Haha, You probably won't believe that either. 

• Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, Retired said:

Last night before bedtime, the tv was off. At 2:30 am, I woke up to pee and the tv was on.  So I grabbed the remote and turned it off. It stayed off for about 15 to 20 seconds and then turned on again. I repeated the off again and the tv came back on. This on and off battle continued for about 4 minutes. "What the heck?" So I got back up and turned the light on doing the off and 15 seconds later, back on. Haha, I shouted, "Stupid TV" and Sundance ran downstairs too Deb. (She has been sleeping down there in a recliner because of a sore back and a cough.) Finally, I unplugged it from the wall and that ended it coming back on.  But also, my cell phone & hearing aid charger also went off. So, I plugged it back in the wall, and this TV going off and on started up again. Anything like this ever happen to anyone before?  Very Weird, I thought.  I did something,  and it staid off and still works fine now but I won't say what I did yet till people respond. Haha, You probably won't believe that either. 

Gremlins, did you feed them after midnight?

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

6 minutes ago, Sgt. Pepper said:

Gremlins, did you feed them after midnight?

Nope, Lol.  68 going on 69, this has never happened to me before though. Deb thought I was hitting the wrong button on the remote. So I told her, OK? Then how did the tv go off each time and stay off for several seconds? There is only one button that turns it off. 

I assume this is a smart TV. I assume it doesn't have an on/off button. I assume you don't have a timer running in the settings.

Well since you already unplugged it, that should reset the thing. So you already did that. 

I would disconnect & reconnect all devices in case a poor connection was triggering the 'on' state. 

If that didn't work I would resort to the old 1950s trick of slapping it (out of frustration).

• Like 1

I'm wondering how unplugging the TV would also affect your phone and hearing aid chargers.

Sounds like a kind of Twilight Zone  sort of problem though.  And I've heard of some people having a similar problem with their Amazon Echos.  They'd turn it off, climb into bed and soon hear "Alexa" announcing the playing of some song they asked her to play hours earlier. 

Whitefang

• Like 1

Well the signal from the remote to the TV has to be working on some radio or other type frequency - it is not a direct power off button on the TV itself.  So I would guess that something else was interfering or sending a signal to the TV to it turn back on.  Interested to hear the solution.  

• Like 1

I had a tv that did the same thing but also changed channels and volume .Freaked me out a bit. Brought it in and the service guy told me it had some minor part burt out and cold solder joints that needed to be repaired. It was fine after that  till I replaced it years later

• Like 2

18 hours ago, Retired said:

Visually inspect the remote controller, if the ON/OFF button and/or others are stuck.

I had a similar situation, but it worked the other way: I couldn't turn  it on. A new controller fixed the problem.

Edited by OrdinaryNimda
  • Like 1

14 hours ago, merciful-evans said:

I assume this is a smart TV. I assume it doesn't have an on/off button. I assume you don't have a timer running in the settings.

Well since you already unplugged it, that should reset the thing. So you already did that. 

I would disconnect & reconnect all devices in case a poor connection was triggering the 'on' state. 

If that didn't work I would resort to the old 1950s trick of slapping it (out of frustration).

Slapping it? It did get me upset with it coming back on all the times I turned it off.  I did fetch my FNX .45 which holds 16 rounds, but then thought? No! Too early for such noise.  Don't want to wake the neighbors, Haha. 

9 hours ago, Whitefang said:

I'm wondering how unplugging the TV would also affect your phone and hearing aid chargers.

Sounds like a kind of Twilight Zone  sort of problem though.  And I've heard of some people having a similar problem with their Amazon Echos.  They'd turn it off, climb into bed and soon hear "Alexa" announcing the playing of some song they asked her to play hours earlier. 

Whitefang

The TV is plugged into a surge chord which the 2 chargers are also plugged into. 

• Thanks 1

7 hours ago, badbluesplayer said:

Are you sure you didn't pee on the TV, and that shorted out everything?

Lol, I did go to the bathroom to do that,  Now Sundance could have done that and ran back to his couch we have up there for him? I didn't notice he moved until I yelled at the TV. 

7 hours ago, Twang Gang said:

Well the signal from the remote to the TV has to be working on some radio or other type frequency - it is not a direct power off button on the TV itself.  So I would guess that something else was interfering or sending a signal to the TV to it turn back on.  Interested to hear the solution.  

Debbie had the tv on downstairs.  We just use the remotes that usually work fine. Actually, This thing put me wide awake so I turned it back on and watched, Memoirs of an Invisible Man with Chevy Chase & Daryl Hannah.  Couldn't help but thinking, "Is this what's happening?" 

5 hours ago, codename said:

I had a tv that did the same thing but also changed channels and volume .Freaked me out a bit. Brought it in and the service guy told me it had some minor part burt out and cold solder joints that needed to be repaired. It was fine after that  till I replaced it years later

So, maybe that's it then? 

4 hours ago, OrdinaryNimda said:

Visually inspect the remote controller, if the ON/OFF button and/or others are stuck.

I had a similar situation, but it worked the other way: I couldn't turn  it on. A new controller fixed the problem.

Yeah, this tv isn't that old yet, maybe 2 years or so. 

3 hours ago, jdgm said:

I'd get the wall socket checked.....

That could be? My wife's step dad put all the electric outlets and wiring in when we remodeled. He is an electrician though and worked at OPPD.  (Omaha Public Power District.) 

Ok, JD; since your the last to respond for now, this is what I did and it stayed off. You might all laugh or think "STUPID" but it did work.  This on and off thing had me a bit spooked so first off. I rebuked any unclean spirits in the house, (Demons,) Lol and told them to get out if any were here and then, I prayed the good Lord to fill the house with His Spirit so none could return, and the TV worked just fine after that!  I turned it back on, watched that movie and it turned back off fine and stayed off all night.  Haha, Yeah, some will think I'm crazy huh?  But it's true. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1