Gibson Brands Forums

What visual entertainment are you watching recently?

Mr. Gibson

On 2/1/2023 at 7:47 PM, ksdaddy said:

My wife and I have been hooked on "To Catch a Smuggler" and "Mysteries of the Abandoned" lately.

I watch Jerry Springer (reruns) and Steve Wilkos but she gets bored with that really quickly. Same old, same old. I agree, but sometimes I have a yen to see skanky hillbilly chicks.

I do enjoy crappy old movies. This week I tried watching Superfly. Bored me to tears, couldn't finish it. Also watched Dolomite. The acting was so bad I couldn't HELP but watch it all. And there were many Cadillacs...

Ohh! If only they showed Springer re-runs here. I love the trashy American "talkshows". 

On 2/1/2023 at 1:47 PM, ksdaddy said:

I do enjoy crappy old movies. This week I tried watching Superfly. Bored me to tears, couldn't finish it. Also watched Dolomite. The acting was so bad I couldn't HELP but watch it all. And there were many Cadillacs...

I spend a lot of time watching TCM(Turner Classic Movies).  Believe me.  Superfly isn't really all that old.  [wink]  This morning they're showing a string of Constance Bennett movies from the 1930's.  And a word to the "kiddies"....

A movie's age isn't necessarily a sign that it's "crappy".  There's lots of movies now playing in theaters and being streamed that are plenty "crappy". 

Whitefang

2 hours ago, Whitefang said:

I spend a lot of time watching TCM(Turner Classic Movies).  Believe me.  Superfly isn't really all that old.  [wink]  This morning they're showing a string of Constance Bennett movies from the 1930's.  And a word to the "kiddies"....

A movie's age isn't necessarily a sign that it's "crappy".  There's lots of movies now playing in theaters and being streamed that are plenty "crappy". 

Whitefang

Whitefang,

I also go to TCM, just to see what they're showing, and often watch films I previously knew nothing about.

But to be fair, many if these films dating from the thirties and forties aren't very good.

And this includes many movies with actors we've always considered to be first-rate. 

My wife often asks why I bother to watch them, because the acting is poor, the women usually stereotyped, and the plots thin or virtualy non-existent. And in many cases, I have no good answer, other than curiosity.

RBSinTo

Watched Kelley's Heroes last night. And "What did you do in the war daddy" tonight. 

I just bing video search, *watch "whatever" free online*. I use bing simply because of the multiple window layout and preview. Usually ok.ru (russia-ad free) has what I'm looking for.

Kelleys heroes,

https://m.ok.ru/video/1840453519999     

Use side bar to scoll up exposing the wide screen icon, go wide screen and play arrow. No adds or buff. Sometimes theres two links to that site. One in russ translate, other to native movie tongue.

But there's a gambit of other free sites. 123 you can dl if one can nav thru the ads. Other free hosting sites are syndicated programming. Which I dont normally watch.

Other than internet access, havent paid for anything in maybe 15 yrs~.

There is one genre I typically cant watch free. High profile sports.

9 hours ago, CROWB8 said:

Watched Kelley's Heroes last night. And "What did you do in the war daddy" tonight. 

I just bing video search, *watch "whatever" free online*. I use bing simply because of the multiple window layout and preview. Usually ok.ru (russia-ad free) has what I'm looking for.

Kelleys heroes,

https://m.ok.ru/video/1840453519999     

Use side bar to scoll up exposing the wide screen icon, go wide screen and play arrow. No adds or buff. Sometimes theres two links to that site. One in russ translate, other to native movie tongue.

But there's a gambit of other free sites. 123 you can dl if one can nav thru the ads. Other free hosting sites are syndicated programming. Which I dont normally watch.

Other than internet access, havent paid for anything in maybe 15 yrs~.

There is one genre I typically cant watch free. High profile sports.

another favorite of mine is the Dirty Dozen. even though I have it on dvd if I'm channel surfing & it's on, I'm done ... all plans bumped out for a couple hrs

• Like 1

21 hours ago, RBSinTo said:

Whitefang,

I also go to TCM, just to see what they're showing, and often watch films I previously knew nothing about.

But to be fair, many if these films dating from the thirties and forties aren't very good.

And this includes many movies with actors we've always considered to be first-rate. 

My wife often asks why I bother to watch them, because the acting is poor, the women usually stereotyped, and the plots thin or virtualy non-existent. And in many cases, I have no good answer, other than curiosity.

RBSinTo

But you know,

That isn't always the case.  What I like about them is mostly the movies are story and character driven and not a lot of vacuous CGI driven eye-candy.  Like that Transformers  drivel and Marvel comics "live action" tripe.   But true, like movies from any time period there are great ones and real stinkers.   Plus there's a lot of great lines in some of them.  Like in the original IMITATION OF LIFE('34),  African-American actress Louise Beavers,while on the terrace of a lush apartment where she lives with her business partner(a very white Claudette Colbert) looks up to the floor where a very fancy party of theirs is taking place. Remarking about the band they hired for the occasion, she says to the person she was talking to, "Those boys play alright for white boys."  [laugh]

And DINNER AT EIGHT('33)  gives us this great parting line from Marie Dressler to Gene Harlow....

Whitefang

22 hours ago, Whitefang said:

Ha!  You mean,  Playing on the beach even under a canvas(which can hold in the heat)  doesn't do enough to make you sweat?  [wink]

Whitefang

We have a fan club (two electric fans).

Yesterday the place was packed to overflow, with people sitting behind us on the beachside. If the weather isn't hot enough, the bikini babes will turn the temp up. (I'm sure the young dudes catch Mrs. Notes' eye too, it's just a fact of life.)

The owner was there too, and seeing no available seats, food and drink being served and people getting up to dance in the usually dead hours between lunch and dinner is good for job security.

BTW, it seldom gets too hot for us. We both grew up in FL before air conditioning and to this day don't use it. If you aren't acclimated to sleeping in a 68 degree freezer all night, 80s and low 90s aren't bad at all.

Conversely, when the weather drops below 70, we turn on the heater.

Actually, the worse part of this gig is the salt spray. I bought a used upper student model saxophone to use here, and it's showing the effects of the salt on the brass. But we've been doing 3 days a week here for over a year now, so it's paid for.

Notes ♫

Sunrise%20Sands%2003a.jpg

• Like 1

Yeah, people can get acclimated to certain environments.  My step sister Georgeann, born and raised in Michigan met a Floridian shortly after her divorce from her first husband and moved down there with him and eventually married.  She came up to visit in the very early '80's in  early April.  Mom called me over if I wanted to see her and the weather here that day was warm enough for me to wear cut-off jeans and a tank top,  same with my kid sister.  When I showed up there was Georgeann.   Sitting on a lawn chair, replete in a woolen sweater she was huddled in shivering uncomfortably.  [biggrin]

Whitefang

It's all what you get used to, and if it happens gradually it's less shocking.

I remember being 'up north' when September came around and it was in the 60s, everybody bundled up.

In the spring, after the cold winter, when it got back to the 60s, people were in tank tops and shorts.

The problem most Floridians of today have, is they live in 68-72 degree air-conditioned houses. So when they walk out when it's in the low 90s, it's a 30 degree difference and their body is acclimated to low 70s.

Before AC, everyone painted their roofs white, planted shade trees, and opened windows. A fan on still days was enough.

I still live that way. I have a white roof, and I planted shade tress around my house, but not over the roof. The white roof reflects the heat, it rises, and the cool air from under the trees comes in to replace it.

No matter how hot it gets outside, it never gets higher than the very low 80s inside.

And since I'm acclimated to the 80s (70s at night) going outside isn't a 30 degree shock to my system.

Here is where I gig 3x a week:

Notes ♫

Sunrise%20Sands%2003.jpg

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

I am on the 3rd and final episode of 'MH370: The Plane That Disappeared' (Malaysian Boeing 777).

This followed 'Downfall: The Case Against Boeing'. A 2022 film.

I cant help but watch anything like this. I worked in the industry close to 40 years.

oh yes, like DanvillRob, I'm enjoying season 3 of Battlebots. The uk stopped making its version 'Robot Wars' many years ago. One thing is certain. The robot inflict more damage these days!

My wife and I just finished watching all nine seasons of Seinfeld on Netflix.  Never watched it when it was on TV.  Actually, it was really entertaining.  Very politically-incorrect.  They made fun of everyone, including each other and themselves.  Gays, women, men, priests, nuns, rabbi, immigrants, etc.  They didn’t miss anyone.  Reminded me of the old Saturday Night Live shows.

• Thanks 1

9 hours ago, MissouriPicker said:

My wife and I just finished watching all nine seasons of Seinfeld on Netflix.  Never watched it when it was on TV.  Actually, it was really entertaining.  Very politically-incorrect.  They made fun of everyone, including each other and themselves.  Gays, women, men, priests, nuns, rabbi, immigrants, etc.  They didn’t miss anyone.  Reminded me of the old Saturday Night Live shows.

Welcome to the 90s. 😀

9 hours ago, MissouriPicker said:

Yes. I collected those on dvd. Michael Richards was always the stand out 'laugh out loud 'for me. 

11 hours ago, MissouriPicker said:

Only in an insane world can "Seinfeld" be considered politically incorrect. I guess we're there. 

We’ve been watching a Series on Netflix called “Narcos”… It’s about Cocaine Trafficking in the 80’s & Pablo Escobar’s exploits.. 

It’s not boring!

Fortunately or unfortunately I relate to that era…

Edited by Larsongs