Gibson Brands Forums

What visual entertainment are you watching recently?

Mr. Gibson

I've been binging on "Boardwalk Empire" lately.  Series starts in 1920 when prohibition was beginning and follows the effects of it on organized crime.  Some of it based on fact from what I know but probably a lot of poetic license taken as well.  The guys wear some really cool looking three- piece suits.  

3 hours ago, Twang Gang said:

I've been binging on "Boardwalk Empire" lately.  Series starts in 1920 when prohibition was beginning and follows the effects of it on organized crime.  Some of it based on fact from what I know but probably a lot of poetic license taken as well.  The guys wear some really cool looking three- piece suits.  

I've bicycled past one of the sets, numerous times, on the boardwalk out in The Rockaways.

I'm up with Yellowstone, Monarch (I've met Trace several times), but one of our favorites.

The Curse Of Oak Island.

That has to be some of the most pilfered dirt on the planet.

The whole damned island will just collapse someday, it's so full of holes and tunnels and shafts.

• Haha 1

I watch a lot of "retro" TV during the day.  Evenings there's maybe a movie I like on TCM, or somewhere else.  And on certain nights I'll tune in to a Red Wings game. If all else fails I have an extensive VHS/DVD library.  And today I'll put in my copy of "Tora! Tora! Tora!" .

Whitefang

I don't have a TV but stayed last week at my sisters and she has it.

She watches those home/house programmes where someone buys or does up a property.  

TV is the same as ever but faster and glitzier with all the CGI.   I've never had it because I won't pay for a licence (UK law).

I was laughing at the perfume adverts - I liked the Dua Lipa one [love]   - but Johnny Depp - haw haw!!  [biggrin]

Edited by jdgm

Something that my wife liked and I could tolerate was Only Murders In The Building. I have to admit I did enjoy that show.

One that I watched by myself was a documentary God Forbid: The Sex Scandal That Brought Down a Dynasty on Hulu.  

Other than sports and Jeopardy I don't watch much regular TV.

I have a ton of concert DVD/Blue Rays and Rock Docs. I need to find a new one to watch. I think the last two I watched was about Randy Rhodes and the one about the music festival in Harlem around the time of Woodstock. I think Summer was in the title. 

15 hours ago, jdgm said:

I don't have a TV but stayed last week at my sisters and she has it.

She watches those home/house programmes where someone buys or does up a property.  

TV is the same as ever but faster and glitzier with all the CGI.   I've never had it because I won't pay for a licence (UK law).

I was laughing at the perfume adverts - I liked the Dua Lipa one [love]   - but Johnny Depp - haw haw!!  [biggrin]

Lol yes that Johnny Depp one is hilarious

7 minutes ago, Dub-T-123 said:

Lol yes that Johnny Depp one is hilarious

That is right you guys over in the UK need a TV license. I just need on to drive a car. I remember asking about it. I think Merc posted about the vans that used to drive around with gear inside that supposedly could tell if you had a TV. What is a Dua Lipa?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/TV_detector_van

Edited by Sgt. Pepper

47 minutes ago, Sgt. Pepper said:

That is right you guys over in the UK need a TV license. I just need on to drive a car. I remember asking about it. I think Merc posted about the vans that used to drive around with gear inside that supposedly could tell if you had a TV. What is a Dua Lipa?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/TV_detector_van

Yeah, I wonder about that TV license too.  For a driver's license you need to pass a couple of tests before your first one is granted.  Is that how it works for a TV license?  You have to pass some kind of test to determine if you're watching television correctly?  [wink]  And what's  the fine for watching the telly without a license? Does it involve doing time?  And Sarge...

Dua Lipa is a young British pop singer.  She's in her late 20's I think.  

Whitefang

4 minutes ago, Whitefang said:

Yeah, I wonder about that TV license too.  For a driver's license you need to pass a couple of tests before your first one is granted.  Is that how it works for a TV license?  You have to pass some kind of test to determine if you're watching television correctly?  [wink]  And what's  the fine for watching the telly without a license? Does it involve doing time?  And Sarge...

Dua Lipa is a young British pop singer.  She's in her late 20's I think.  

Whitefang

She is easy on they eyes, but her music is not for me. 

Edited by Sgt. Pepper

21 hours ago, fortyearspickn said:

Is the license like a 'drivers license' ?    Or is it just paying once a year to have the satellite or cable turned on for your household?  

No. That would make some sense.

Despite BBC claims of 'TV detection equipment', no such thing exists. You can't detect signal reception. So they have no means of knowing who is using a TV and assume anyone unlicensed is breaking the law. They have a database showing what houses & businesses are unlicensed. They then spend £millons on threatening letters and 'enforcement officers' to knock on doors. 

this is the detail http://www.bbctvlicence.com/Tips for avoidng TVL-BBC harassment.htm

Trouble is, a license is needed even if you don't watch BBC. That's the stupid part. Its a problem of their own making, plus greed for the £3.7 billion per year they get from the license. 

So, you need a TV Viewing license, even if you don't watch, or even OWN a tv...

Sounds like a tax.   We have a similar situation with our Public Broadcasting Service (PBS) and our National Public Radio -  but more smoke and mirror:  they get their $ after it's been laundered by the Federal Govt.   So we can't claim  "Taxation without a Television Station is Tyranny,"  

Back to the OP?  -  We have been watching the  National Rodeo Finals from Las Vegas for the past week.   Wife loves it, watches 'regular'  rodeos during the year:  High Schoolers, Veterans, and mostly guys (and gals - they have 2 events) who seem to do it for fun with little hope of making the hundreds of thousands if you are #1 for the year in the Finals.   Bull Riding - the last event (they always follow the same sequence)  is the one that gets the most attention.  Some of those bulls remind me of my mother in law.  God Rest Her Soul. 

2 hours ago, fortyearspickn said:

So, you need a TV Viewing license, even if you don't watch, or even OWN a tv...

Sounds like a tax.   We have a similar situation with our Public Broadcasting Service (PBS) and our National Public Radio -  but more smoke and mirror:  they get their $ after it's been laundered by the Federal Govt.   So we can't claim  "Taxation without a Television Station is Tyranny,"  

What the government gives PBS and NPR is a mere pittance compared to how much federal funding goes to other federal funded projects.  Some of them worthwhile and others some senator's or congressman's pork barrel.  The rest of their operating revenue comes from donations gathered from their seemingly never ending pledge drives.  And they're clever enough to schedule the really interesting stuff during those times.

Whitefang