Gibson Brands Forums

What's Your Plan?

Murph

Today is going to be sunny and in the upper 60's. Like spring.

I'm putting 8 pounds of baby back ribs on the Traeger pellet smoker with Mesquite.

Then I'm going to the woods and tinker with the 4 wheelers a bit. I think one needs a battery.

I'll have to hang around and tend the ribs for the last 2/3 hours so will be playing the J-45 tuned to open D, outside, with a slide, fingerstyle to toughen up my right fingers for an original I'm working on.

Still looking at roundneck reso's.

That's my plan.

I retired in August. My honey-do list started out long and remains long. I work slowly. 

I actually started going back to my old job for 4 hours a week, culling old files and doing historical research on farms ad-hoc. Rumor is, I will be hired on one day a week (my choice, to minimize any effect on my Social Security). I don't need the money, and my hope is to just bank whatever it brings to go towards a pickup.

It's raining today in Northern California....I was going to grill some fillets for the past 2 days, but was raining too hard in the evenings....I hope to get at them tonight.

I've been retired almost 3 years now.... I can't tell people how great it is.

I wasn't feeling all that well yesterday, so I'll go to the grocery store today, (normally Monday's are grocery store days).

I've been playing my 'Bird 12-String all morning... putting an arrangement together of "Elusive Butterfly"  a song basically about a guy who is stalking someone!

Someone posted a video of Bob Lind playing it....I hadn't even thought about that song probably since Glen Campbell did a cover of it, (1968).

Spent 2 hours cleaning up my pellet grill after 8 hours smoking yesterday.  A brisket and for a few less hours a turkey breast.   Pulled weeds for 2 hours.. just in the front.   Grass is brown, but the stupid weeds pop their green heads up early and BANG !  Noodled on the SJ200 while catching up on 2 more episodes o f “Jack Ryan” on Amazon.  
Having moved from Central Mass, and experienced blizzards in April,  I felt really guilty out there in the sunny 80s today. 
Not! 

It turned out to be a nice day here too, but I was stuck in shop all day. [sad]

But for tonight, I'm going to do some assigned reading and watch a lesson. For no particular reason besides being interested, I'm doing an online course on the Gospel of Mark given by Professor James Tabor. Gotta be ready for the ZOOM class on Sunday. [cool]  

• Like 1

Mid 80s in the day, and 60s at night. It's been like that for weeks, and will be for at least the next 10 days, according to the weather people.

Went to our favorite rib restaurant, sat outdoors in the shade, and had a great meal.

I worked on music at home, the house is opened up, mockingbirds singing, jays squawking, woodpeckers laughing, and cardinals cheeping.

It was a nice day.

Notes ♫

I'm in Jackson Hole Wyoming. Went skiing for the first time in 10 years. didn't fall or hurt anything. Plan for the rest of the night is work on my talks for tomorrow then back out again tomorrow afterwards.

12 hours ago, fortyearspickn said:

Having moved from Central Mass, and experienced blizzards in April,  I felt really guilty out there in the sunny 80s today. 
Not! 

ha!  and who can blame you!

Winters are long, spring is coming, but right now, it looks like winter arrived about a month ago behind schedule.

we like to chuckle at our relatives that live in Flordida   when the complaints that it was "OMG!!! it was SO cold today!!"  come around and we then find out it was 52 degrees   --

yer sh!tin me right?

Edited by kidblast

Well, now I have to clean the Traeger.

I take the grille and drip shield thing under it to a carwash with a high pressure wand and it takes 4 minutes. Then vacuum out the pellet hopper and she's ready.

Ribs were smashing.

14 hours ago, fortyearspickn said:

Spent 2 hours cleaning up my pellet grill after 8 hours smoking yesterday.  

Man, I take the grille and pan under it to a car wash with a high pressure wand. 4 minutes.

Then vacuum the pellet burner with a cordless vac, wipe her down and she's ready.

Yours is probably cleaner than mine....

Mine may be different -  Pit Boss -  instructions say to not use soap and water on the pan.   I'm guessing it's steel and would rust.  The grilles -  I scrape and stick in the dishwasher and that does the trick.  Mine is clean - so far - because I've only used it 3x and have been lana about keeping it clean.  

2 hours ago, kidblast said:

ha!  and who can blame you!

Winters are long, spring is coming, but right now, it looks like winter arrived about a month ago behind schedule.

we like to chuckle at our relatives that live in Flordida   when the complaints that it was "OMG!!! it was SO cold today!!"  come around and we then find out it was 52 degrees   --

yer sh!tin me right?

We moved TO  Massachusetts FROM  Miami.   Use to be predictable each winter - the local news crews would go out to the beach and take pix of tourists in their Speedos while the natives looked on in their Fur Coats.   

23 hours ago, Karloff said:

I plan to live modestly  ...

I think my daughter is buying a "fixer upper" house.

I'll be happy to help her with things and she'll soon be a homeowner with no debt. 

Bright kid.

It's raining quite a bit here in northern Alabama.

Flash flood Watch in effect.
I stocked up on groceries and beer yesterday, and I plan to hunker down here with the wife and dogs, and watch the creek rise.

If it goes over the banks and spills across the road, that'll be high entertainment.
(Some of the locals just HAVE to go places when there is widespread flooding going on. And watching them making a run for it, despite all warnings to turn around, that's something to see.)

🤨