Gibson Brands Forums

Joining the zipper club

Pasted from FB because I’m too lazy to retype:

I had my catheterization today. They did not put any stents in. I have 90% blockage in two arteries, 70% in another, and 30% in another. 70% in the left anterior descending artery, aka the widowmaker. So it’s a triple bypass for me. I will be here probably 4-5 days before the surgery and a few days beyond that. I did not expect a heart attack to last over two days, but it was two days of horrible pain before I went to the ER at Cary. It’s not like TV. I have felt fine since I got here, with only occasional chest pain. I have been poked and bled seems like a hundred times, and had transducers ripped from my chest a hundred more. My spirits are through the roof because all of this explains why I felt like an old man for so long. I would be out of breath at the top of the stairs. Maybe not literally but I was being sapped by things I shouldn’t have. I looked forward to the stent(s), and even though they didn’t happen, I now look forward to being in the zipper club. I miss my dog and I miss clutching a guitar. I’ll be fine. A million thanks to my family network that is keeping the home fires burning. I’ll be fine. I need to stick around to piss people off.

• Like 5

WHOA!!!!

holy smokes KS!!!!

looks like you're gonna have to give up the ribeye's for filet mignons to cut down on the gristle which I love .

Anywhoo take it slow and keep us posted!!! 

Good luck with your surgery.  If it’s any consolation, they can now do a minimally invasive procedure for many people.  I had that procedure for my aortic valve replacement surgery and the incision scar is only about 5” instead of looking like I was gutted like a fish.  It usually speeds up the recovery.  Hopefully they can do that for you.

• Thanks 1

Welcome to the club KSD! I am a fully paid up member (well actually it’s all free here in Oz) and have a zip that’s fading over the past 2 years. I had a birth defect that apparently 1 in 100 (yep!) people have where the aortic valve is not right and eventually blood isn’t pumped too well and can flow both ways - I noticed I was getting worn out but it was actually only found when I was in with extreme pneumonia and luckily they did a bunch of tests on everything that could have caused it - most people only find out when something goes wrong with the heart [scared]. Open heart surgery 6 weeks later and after a couple of issues (not fun!) requiring further hospitalisation over ensuing months. I have been feeling great for past 18 months and have recently worked a lot on diet and fitness….so, good luck - you’ll be fine, and look forward to a great new version of you [thumbup]

• Like 1

Oh man, ksdaddy. 
I'll be praying for a quick recovery, and an awesome, active life after it's all done and healed up. 

They say there's no time in history like right now for somebody to have to endure this sort of procedure. 

Or maybe they just tell us that so that we won't be so upset and scared. 
😐

Praying for you, Daddy!  Modern medicine has advanced a long ways in heart care.  My dad was 68 when he passed-out working in the front yard.  They said he’d had a heart attack.  A week later they replaced his aortic valve (which was leaking blood) with a mechanical valve.   He was proud of the zipper…lol…. After the surgery he bounced back very quickly and said he hadn’t felt so good in years.  The mechanical valve worked perfectly for almost 30 years.  My dad died from a stroke, a month short of his 97th birthday.   His father died at 64 from the same heart problems in 1956, when they were not yet doing major heart surgery.  Hang-in there, my friend——-for yourself, your family and loved ones…….and for all of us on the Gibby forum too——you are a vital part of this forum and greatly appreciated.

7 hours ago, tx-ogre said:

Good luck with your surgery.  If it’s any consolation, they can now do a minimally invasive procedure for many people.  I had that procedure for my aortic valve replacement surgery and the incision scar is only about 5” instead of looking like I was gutted like a fish.  It usually speeds up the recovery.  Hopefully they can do that for you.

Tx, glad to hear it.  You’ve got a lot of good years left because of your valve replacement.  My dad had the full open chest job to replace his valve, but it gave him many good years….God bless!

You'll be fine! Take solace in the fact that your induction is a sign you've been successful enough in life to eat a lot of unhealthy food that tastes good! 

Here's to a speedy recovery! 

As was stated before. Welcome to the club!  Mine was not as bad as one would anticipate.  I really believe the anticipation was the worst part that and my leg bothered me more than the Chest.  Best of luck to you I hope all goes well for you.

We are exponentially more fortunate when it comes to healthcare than our grandparents.  Spanish Flu at the turn of the century - they had no cure.   Heat attacks?  Couldn't predict them  or prevent them let alone 'cure' them.  Doctors were telling patients to eat bacon and eggs every morning for breakfast up until the 60s.    I worked in a teaching hospital that had an internationally acclaimed heart program for 10 years and they never stopped research, improving quality and sharing their findings with other programs.  You'll be fine, just look forward to how much better you'll feel this 4th of July than you did last year !!      

I had what would have been considered Major surgery 5 years ago - two different surgeons doing two different things at the same time endoscopically. Out in time to beat rush hour traffic home, and can't find the scars now.  Wife, had lung cancer - lobe removed, out in 3 days. Fine still, 10 years later.  Breast cancer 5 years ago, caught early through routine mammogram.  Small lump removed - right as rain today.   So -  don't worry - be happy !!   

21 hours ago, ksdaddy said:

Pasted from FB because I’m too lazy to retype:

I had my catheterization today. They did not put any stents in. I have 90% blockage in two arteries, 70% in another, and 30% in another. 70% in the left anterior descending artery, aka the widowmaker. So it’s a triple bypass for me. I will be here probably 4-5 days before the surgery and a few days beyond that. I did not expect a heart attack to last over two days, but it was two days of horrible pain before I went to the ER at Cary. It’s not like TV. I have felt fine since I got here, with only occasional chest pain. I have been poked and bled seems like a hundred times, and had transducers ripped from my chest a hundred more. My spirits are through the roof because all of this explains why I felt like an old man for so long. I would be out of breath at the top of the stairs. Maybe not literally but I was being sapped by things I shouldn’t have. I looked forward to the stent(s), and even though they didn’t happen, I now look forward to being in the zipper club. I miss my dog and I miss clutching a guitar. I’ll be fine. A million thanks to my family network that is keeping the home fires burning. I’ll be fine. I need to stick around to piss people off.

WOW!     Good luck and you'll be right as rain in no time!

Here's wishing you a full and speedy recovery, ksdaddy!

My dad had a triple bypass done about two years ago at age 83. I was amazed at how quickly he was able to recover. Apparently they've made significant strides in how they do the procedures and with the overall treatments.

I'm glad to see you have a positive outlook. You've got this! 

1 hour ago, Phil OKeefe said:

I'm glad to see you have a positive outlook. You've got this! 

I am 90% positive. I’m positive that the procedure is excellent and I will get through it fine, with “good times here, but better down the road”. I have had a couple meltdowns in the privacy of my hospital room. Not out of fear, just not being home in familiar surroundings. I know I need to just suck it up and know a half dozen days from now I will be on my way home with a massive reset. A friend who lives not far away brought me in a Bourgeois OM to noodle on in the meantime. gMDYWDN.jpg

• Like 5
  • Thanks 2
  • Upvote 1

I'm kinda diggin the gown the hospital gave you get to sport.... typically those things are ugly as *!#K.

Glad you're moving along, and that was cool of your pal to bring you a geetar to noodle on. 

Take it slow!!!!

I walked around some last night and this morning with my IV tree, at least until I started getting that familiar chest pain. Still not scheduled for bypass. I’m afraid when they go to put the catheter in, they’ll be laughing so hard they won’t be able to operate. 

• Haha 2