Gibson Brands Forums

Would you be in favor of never seeing another political thread in The Lounge?

max2343

If I say an ABR-1 has better sustain than a Nashville, is that NORTH/SOUTH?

Different wood topics are going to pull out the "treehuggers".

To me, it's the "Should a lesbian be allowed to adopt a midget boy" threads that are designed to cause a problem.

Pretty simple to me....

Murph.

Eye just don't like it when it get to the level of yesterday. There just isn't any since going in circles trying to change someones beliefs. Most of the time (and Eye said most not always) if Eye have something to say about politics Eye say it than KSG responds with greater debating skills than Eye and thats it no need to go round and round. And therefor we don't get into any mud slinging with each other. Just a difference in opinion.

I'm tempted to say ban them, but they are almost impossible to steer away from. I feel I need to throw in my two cents from time to time. It does seem redickulous (I know I misspelled it) to have these topics posted on a guitar forum. If one wanted a real debate, it would be in a better suited website. A few members seem to throw out topics with no other purpose than to hit a nerve.

I voted yes for a number of reasons:

[*]it's not so much discussion as statements of position

[*]the tenor of the content is often right-wing and overly US-centric

[*]the tenor of the content has on occasion been offensive to women and minority groups

[*]there are other places on the Web to discuss this stuff

[*]I suspect it puts off a lot of prospective participants.

I'm actually quite surprised that the forum, being a very visible manifestation of the Gibson community, is not more firmly moderated.

RN

[*]the tenor of the content has on occasion been offensive to women and minority groups

I'm actually quite surprised that the forum' date=' being a very visible manifestation of the Gibson community, is not more firmly moderated.

RN

[/quote']

1) such are most discussions on these topics

2) there are some very far left people on here. Neo is just the loudest of the cons. even if it is right wing, so what? i suppose you want a Fairness Doctrine? and as for the US, Gibson is a US company,most of its users are Americans...

3) you dont have the right to not be offended. dont click on on it. what is offensive is HIGHLY subjective.

4) true, but the Lounge is for anything

5) see #3.

[*]

[*]

RN

Hmmmm. So' date=' right wing, and US centric is bad?

Offending "anyone" is bad to you.

I'm offended that you would say these things.

How dare you.....

Murph.

[/quote']

I'm actually quite surprised that the forum' date=' being a very visible manifestation of the Gibson community, is not more firmly moderated.

RN

[/quote']

How dare you.

That was damned rude.

Right Wing is very popular in America. Remember Ronald Reagan?

Oh no. You're safe now.......

We'll see..................................................

Murph.

There's a concept I see at play here, simple at first but can be tough to follow.

When I was a freshman in high school, we were in constant fear of what sort of torture we might be subjected to by the upper classmen, especially the seniors on the football/basketball teams who could do no wrong.

After realizing all my classmates were huddled up like the Three Little Pigs and scared of their own shadows, I noticed the seniors really were just playing on that fear and letting the freshmen do all the damage to themselves.

In reality, the seniors did no more than tease them now and then - letting their fear consume them.

Early in my sophomore year, I was returning to the school from lunch with a couple friends and we noticed the freshmen were throwing a football around.

To give them a hard time, we ran into the game and took the ball from them - throwing it back and forth between us.

When they finally got their ball they all left, pissed but silent to avoid confrontation.

This repeated itself several times over the next few weeks until we had sort of a game with them.

One of the freshmen yelled out that they had outscored us and were ahead.

<Inpiration strikes Neo.....>

If we let them score enough points that they can say they are winning, they will stay and play.....

:-)

We can tackle them, pull their pants down, rub their faces in the grass - whatever - as long as they are "winning."

This went on all year.

We rarely won a game, but oh did we have some fun at their expense - and they would volunteer for it!

Just so they could claim "victory" against the sophomores.....

The Democrats do the exact same thing.

Listen to them, listen to all their bluster and baloney.

When they can't get the Fairness Doctrine, when they can't filibuster, when they can't get the courts to 'award' them victory, when they can't silence the opposition that makes their position look moronic and ill-conceived - they stop playing.

HeyMr.Potassium has been trying to virtually shout me down for weeks, ridicule me, and make all sorts of asinine allegations about me. I would not dare say I actually won any of the exchanges we've had (I don't keep score) but he's decided he can't win and therefore wants to call the game.

It's one thing when you don't win - my dad said I got 2nd Place when I lost a Little League game.

But some poeple cannot stand the idea of losing.

They would rather stop the game altogether, and to stop people from asking why they won't play they will make sure nobody else plays either.

Pretty sad when millions of Americans have adopted the same fearful strategy of denial and counter-accusation.

Maybe you could just work on your game a little, eh?

You'd be amazed how empowering an actual victory you earned is....

IMHO...

It's not the political threads that cause problems...its the OTHER threads that are designed by their authors to create the very kind of discussions that they get...Sometimes the discussion gets out of hand...Harmonichaos/ignatiouswhatever has another one of THOSE threads going on now in the lounge, who knows how it'll turn out...

I wouldn't walk up to a bunch of people in a restaurant or bar and sh!t on their table, but that's kind of what some folks do here in the lounge...but it's a free public forum, so people can say whatever they want to, which is a good thing...It just seems like common courtesy that folks would moderate themselves on what topics they might want to discuss or at least how they choose to present the topic...

It's more entertaining to have these flame wars in a forum with a larger community I guess, because they go on all the time on the other forum I've participated on...I'd bet they go on everywhere in cyberspace... In a "bigger" forum, it would be easier to avoid the threads that you wanted to avoid. Here in a smaller group it seems more intense...plus we don't really self moderate very well as a group so eventually somebody's feelings get hurt or new enemies are created.

As the Duke said playing John Bernard Books: I won't be wronged. I won't be insulted. I won't be laid a-hand on. I don't do these things to other people, and I require the same from them

For me, this is a pretty good code to live by...maybe one day I'll evolve beyond it...I don't try to convert anybody to my beliefs, political or religious. I don't push my religious beliefs on anybody. I don't denigrate others for their beliefs or lack of beliefs...I do argue, sometimes in every sense of the word, for the things I'm passionate about. If there is a topic that I want to respond to, I will. I'll ignore the posts that I have no interest in as I always have.

Just because I don't see things the same way as some of you, doesn't make me a hater, a compassionless right wing pig, a right wing nut job, or any other number of names that you can think of. I will try to remember that just because some of you see things or express yourself differently than I do, not to call you an idiot, or a dumba$$, or a butt pirate, or any other number of names I can think of.

I like Political Threads, as long as they stem from a legitimate source. Like, say the Banks just gave themselves our Tax Money, or we prevent Chrysler from declaring bankruptcy..........for a week or two :o

Like when Obama Appoints a Liberal Judge to the Supreme Court, I'm sure we'll have to get out the Cigars and Brandy, and start calling each other names.

But starting a Thread with no real reason except, "I haven't pissed anyone off today" Is Childish, Lame, and ultimately self defeating. It makes the side your fighting for look bad, and it destroys any point about the integrity of the opposition.

{For the Political Junkies and Arm Chair Pundits}

Right now the political seas are relatively calm, and we should enjoy that. There may be a real reason to debate next week, let's not cheapen it with crap today.

There's a concept I see at play here' date=' simple at first but can be tough to follow.

When I was a freshman in high school, we were in constant fear of what sort of torture we might be subjected to by the upper classmen, especially the seniors on the football/basketball teams who could do no wrong.

After realizing all my classmates were huddled up like the Three Little Pigs and scared of their own shadows, I noticed the seniors really were just playing on that fear and letting the freshmen do all the damage to themselves.

In reality, the seniors did no more than tease them now and then - letting their fear consume them.

Early in my sophomore year, I was returning to the school from lunch with a couple friends and we noticed the freshmen were throwing a football around.

To give them a hard time, we ran into the game and took the ball from them - throwing it back and forth between us.

When they finally got their ball they all left, pissed but silent to avoid confrontation.

This repeated itself several times over the next few weeks until we had sort of a game with them.

One of the freshmen yelled out that they had outscored us and were ahead.

<[i']Inpiration strikes Neo.....>[/i]

If we let them score enough points that they can say they are winning, they will stay and play.....

:-)

We can tackle them, pull their pants down, rub their faces in the grass - whatever - as long as they are "winning."

This went on all year.

We rarely won a game, but oh did we have some fun at their expense - and they would volunteer for it!

Just so they could claim "victory" against the sophomores.....

The Democrats do the exact same thing.

Listen to them, listen to all their bluster and baloney.

When they can't get the Fairness Doctrine, when they can't filibuster, when they can't get the courts to 'award' them victory, when they can't silence the opposition that makes their position look moronic and ill-conceived - they stop playing.

HeyMr.Potassium has been trying to virtually shout me down for weeks, ridicule me, and make all sorts of asinine allegations about me. I would not dare say I actually won any of the exchanges we've had (I don't keep score) but he's decided he can't win and therefore wants to call the game.

It's one thing when you don't win - my dad said I got 2nd Place when I lost a Little League game.

But some poeple cannot stand the idea of losing.

They would rather stop the game altogether, and to stop people from asking why they won't play they will make sure nobody else plays either.

Pretty sad when millions of Americans have adopted the same fearful strategy of denial and counter-accusation.

Maybe you could just work on your game a little, eh?

You'd be amazed how empowering an actual victory you earned is....

Actually, after much reflection, I think we should keep it. It keeps you off the streets. Let the game continue. If I've ever said anything that was a personal attack on you, I'm sorry about that. Attack on your right-wing fanaticism? Well, that's quite different, and let it be said that I'm never the one to draw first blood, Neo. YOU are the one that lobs the hand grenades. Own that.

Archived