Gibson Brands Forums

Hair (or lack thereof)

ksdaddy

Big day for me today. I've looked forward to this day and was afraid of it at the same time. I've had thinning hair for 20 years or more. It's bugged me, because if a guy walked into the room with a full head of hair or was totally bald, nobody bats an eye. But have a guy walk in with thinning hair, all eyes go to the crown like it's some kind of car accident they're driving by.

It's gotten to the point where the top couldn't be combed at all, it would just stick up.

Screw it. I took the trimmer and hooked up the 1" attachment and went over the whole thing. Looked horrible. I then took the tapered trimmers and went around the ears. Looking a little better. Went over it again with the 7/8", then 3/4" ... nope. Still not right. Finally I went over it with the 1/2" and had my daughter do the back with the 1/4".

Gawd, what a shock to the system. I haven't had a buzz cut since I was four. I look remarkably like a pro wrestler from the 60s.

I know a lot of guys have mega-short hair nowadays and guys who are going bald tend to have very shortly cropped hair as default, but I went from Tom Petty in 1979 to Martin Mull in the 80s, now to Bulldog Bob Brown in 2009. (Our Canadian friends will know......)

At least I didn't go to the combover stage.

You know how some guys, just have the right shaped head, for "bald," or for really short hair or even shaving their heads?

That's NOT me! Since I have no real hair left, forward/forward-top, and have the wrong shaped head

to do away with all of it...I'm pretty much stuck, where I am. But...C'est La Vie! I don't really worry

about it. People either like you, for who you are, of they don't. I don't worry about that, either. ;>)

CB

That's one area where genetics seems to be kind in my family.

Dad is 72 with a full head of hair.

Most in my Mom's family died with all of theirs still attached.

When mine gets really gray, I'm gonna grow out a mullet from hell just to be fashionable...

[biggrin]

The old Hairslide huh?

Mine slid down my face to where I now have a decent beard and the balance went down my back.

One bit of advice... don't forget to wear a hat or cap in the summer. Sunburns on bald heads are not fun.

Keep it covered in the winter also. You lose a lot of body heat out the top.

I'm all about the clippers - even though I still have hair. I do it myself too. I can buy a clipper set for about the price of one haircut. They last about 5 years usually. I go out on the back porch, plug it in, look in the mirror and buzz away - usually to 3/4 inch. In 15 minutes I'm done.

Once in a while in the winter (such as it is in Florida) I let it grow out a few inches. As soon as it heats up, I cant stand it and get the clippers out again,

With respect: The idea of cutting off my hair (ever again) is repulsive. Most men with shaved heads look somewhat like a walking penis with ears...very LARGE ears. Doesn't appeal to me at all. I suspect the majority of this membership wasn't even born yet the last time I sat in a barber chair. [biggrin]

But I respect your decision and hope you're happy and comfortable with your new do! hooray_smilie.gif

CAUTION!!! THE FOLLOWING PICTURE DEPICTS A LEGAL, MEDICAL MARIJUANA GROW. DO NOT PROCEED IF YOU ARE OFFENDED BY PICTURES OF LEGAL POT, LEGAL GUNS, THE STARS AND STRIPES OR LONG HAIR ON A MAN.

P1010058.jpg

It's weird

I have no hair on my chest[angry] ' date=' nor on my back and very little on my arms... But I have enough hair on my head, on top and inside of my nose, and in my ears for five people[blush']

I was all set to type 'ditto', until I read the nose part

I have no hair on my chest[angry] ' date=' nor on my back and very little on my arms... But I have enough hair on my head, on top and inside of my nose, and in my ears for five people[blush']

Not me.

It's very well distributed.

Top to bottom, front and back.

The ladies just love it....

(I can hear Gillian, Pumpkin and Izzy screaming EEEEWWW!!!!!!!)

Can't handle the ears.

They gotta go as soon as they sprout.

Don't wanna look like Herman Munster ya know....

If I ever get back into a job that allows it, I'm gonna grow mine down my back again.

Maybe even like First Measure and Cruzn.

Well, if I can stand it after 15 years of being short.....

It's weird

My last name has five vowels and only three consonants. I am one hairy bastard.

One bit of advice... don't forget to wear a hat or cap in the summer. Sunburns on bald heads are not fun.

Keep it covered in the winter also. You lose a lot of body heat out the top.

I've already experienced the sunburn through my thinning pate. Not fun.

I live in an area where the ONLY acceptable hats are billed farmer hats with John Deere or some such on it. I have 3 or 4 nice flat hats, whatever they're called. Mike Love, Roy Buchanan, you know... A couple are cashmere from Ireland. I've never worn them because they always rode up due to my puffy fluffy over-shampooed hair on the sides. A test run on my new 1/2" bristle shows they fit like velcro now.

Archived