Gibson Brands Forums

What would you do?

saturn

If you were (as here some are) in a band, and the band had a gig that you couldn't make for some reason. They have someone that could easily fill in for that night. Would you expect the band to cancel the gig or play without you?

Personally, I would expect the band to play without me and I'd catch the next gig.

if one guy cant make it, well the show goes on,

but that one guy is a member too, might have to drop some songs because of it which is never cool

current band has been having trouble with this

if you cant make gigs, you shouldnt be at practice, thats the way i look at it

I would never miss a gig unless it was absolutely imparative.

If I did I would expect the band to carry on without me. I'd be jealous though.

I mean' date=' that's like somebody doing your part in your thing.[/quote']

Yep, and in this business it's a damn good way to lose your regular gig.

That all depends on who is missing from the band, who else is in the band, and what material you're expected to play.

If it's a band with three guitar players and one of them can't make it, that's an easy fix - one extra rehearsal and it should go smoothly.

Personally, if I had a show and couldn't make it, I'd cancel... but that's just because I'm a "solo" act. Whatever band I had at the time could play, but who really wants to see Eric Stevens & In Name Only without the "Eric Stevens" part?

[1] Don't cancel the gig. Ever.

[2] Cancel everything else to enable you to make the gig.

[3] If [2] is NOT possible, accept the substitute with good grace.

[4] Next gig - play the best you ever have. If they fire you anyway - the sub was better.....

Ignore the above if you/band are not pro or if you/band don't care.

Never cancel a gig! It is unprofessional and could easily give your band a bad reputation.

We all know how things can get in the way, especialy for those who have families and (dare I say it...) real jobs. Having someone fill in for a gig once in a while is really no big deal.

Now if you are having to get a sub for a perticular member on numerous occasions. It may be time to reevaluate the need for that perticular musician.

It's not always unprofessional to cancel a gig.

If something happens and one member of the group is unable to perform, there are a few things you can do.

If the group will suffer from the loss of a player, and there's considerable amount of time before the show (several weeks), informing the venue and allowing them to re-book looks a lot better than showing up without a member and performing at less than the usual level.

If there's very little time (a few days) before the show, informing the venue and suggesting a similar group who is available (and you've possibly already spoken to about filling in) will also make a good impression.

You can look professional by doing the job no matter what, but if you can't do it well, you can also look professional by helping to fill the void.

See, we have this band. It's really just more of a group of friends who like to jam and we sometimes get a gig just because someone knows someone. We have one on Feb 13 and the drummer is out of town but we have at least 3 other people we know who can sit in. It just annoys me that the regular drummer expects us to postpone the gig rather than go without him. (plus he aint that good anyway:-$ )

You are not allowed to miss a gig unless you are dead, and then you must give fair notice and train your replacement before you die. ;-)

Seriously, there is no excuse for a gig. I played in a band where the bass player walked out of the hospital with double pneumonia to make the gig. I have never missed a gig in my life.

I once sprained my shoulder so badly that I couldn't pick up my saxophone. No matter how hard I tried, I couldn't close my hand around the sax. I put heat packs under my clothes, and played wind synthesizer for weeks even though it hurt to press the keys down. In a couple of days, as soon as my hand would work, I started picking up the sax even though it hurt like hell. During the breaks I'd go backstage and my partner would massage my shoulder. The audience and club owner never knew.

If you were in my band and you missed a gig that you could have possibly made, you wouldn't need to bother to come back.

Of course, if you were in an automobile accident and were in traction, I would hire a replacement and keep your spot open.

The owners/managers of the venue are depending on you, the audience is depending on you, and your band-mates are depending on you. That is a big responsibility. You have to accept that responsibility.

It is quite possible that if you miss the gig, the band will lose the gig, and club owners talk, your band might find other venues will refuse to hire your band.

You have to be a trooper to be a musician.

Insights and incites by Notes

"One monkey don't stop no show"

EVERYBODY'S replaceable, either temporarily OR permanently.

In over thirty five years in the music "biz", I have cancelled only two gigs. One was because it would have been an hour drive in a blizzard to the middle of nowhere, and the other was the day of the death of a bandmates mother. I do not regret either cancellation, and although the snow cancellation took much debate and discussion, the other one was a no-brainer.

I have also played hundreds of gigs as a fill-in, and have had to use replacements in my band many times. It's all part of the business. It's interesting to me that Rock & Roll is the ONLY music genre where fill-ins, substitutes and hired guns are even a question.

"One monkey don't stop no show"

EVERYBODY'S replaceable' date=' either temporarily OR permanently.

It's interesting to me that Rock & Roll is the ONLY music genre where fill-ins, substitutes and hired guns are even a question. [/quote']

Makes ya wonder if it has anything to do with ego; doesn't it? [scared]

It depends on the type of band you are and the type of venue, but general rule is that once a gig is confirmed YOU DO NOT CANCEL. Been gigging in bands since I was 16 and I have only canceled on a gig once. It was a blizzard and our drive was 2.5 hours from Chicago to Madison, WI. Roads were being closed. It was a full band decision, but it still broke my heart.

Here are my general notes for confirmed shows. Take them as you wish.

- If you play in a cover band everyone is replaceable. One guy cancels out on a gig? Get a replacement. The investment only goes as far as playing.

- If you are in high school, get a replacement and play the show. He'll be PO'd, but it will blow over.

- If you play all original material, try to find a way to do the show without canceling even if it means just you and singer play as a two piece. This gets tricky because the investment can be beyond just playing; there are songwriting and creative input involved. Once we played at the Yacht Club in Iowa City and the second band, the Wheelers, had their second guitar player and bassists cancel. So instead of not doing the show the singer/guitarist and drummer did the show as a two piece. Pulled it off nicely.

You are not allowed to miss a gig unless you are dead' date=' and then you must give fair notice and train your replacement before you die. ;-)

Seriously, there is no excuse for a gig. I played in a band where the bass player walked out of the hospital with double pneumonia to make the gig. I have never missed a gig in my life.

I once sprained my shoulder so badly that I couldn't pick up my saxophone. No matter how hard I tried, I couldn't close my hand around the sax. I put heat packs under my clothes, and played wind synthesizer for weeks even though it hurt to press the keys down. In a couple of days, as soon as my hand would work, I started picking up the sax even though it hurt like hell. During the breaks I'd go backstage and my partner would massage my shoulder. The audience and club owner never knew.

If you were in my band and you missed a gig that you could have possibly made, you wouldn't need to bother to come back.

Of course, if you were in an automobile accident and were in traction, I would hire a replacement and keep your spot open.

The owners/managers of the venue are depending on you, the audience is depending on you, and your band-mates are depending on you. That is a big responsibility. You have to accept that responsibility.

It is quite possible that if you miss the gig, the band will lose the gig, and club owners talk, your band might find other venues will refuse to hire your band.

You have to be a trooper to be a musician.

Insights and incites by Notes[/quote']

+1 :)

If you never want to play that venue again, go ahead and cancel.

Before I had my own band I used to do just that. I was a hired gun for a good part of the 90's, since my real love was for Jam Bands at the time, and So Cal wasn't the scene for it, I had the opportunity and practice to fill in for just about any genre that was needed(I played in a lot of Garage Jam Bands), and I had no interest in staying in any band that hired me for standard covers. There's a lot of good players that love to do a couple gigs but don't want the commitment.

Make sure you tell the temp right off that it is temporary, but would like to be able to call Him/Her when they need it.

I think the definition of a "band" has changed...when I was playing out, none of use would ever even consider missing a gig....and none of us ever did, (with the exception of when I got arrested at a College dance in Alameda).

However, I understand at my age, that I'm simply NOT going to be available most weekends...too many "adult commitments".

On the other hand, (I wear a wedding ring), I'm not in a group, and turned down the last offer to join one.

When my father died, my mother called me to find out what days I was gigging and when I was off so she could schedule the funeral on my off day. She knew I would show up for the gig instead of the funeral if they were on the same day, and she definitely understood why.

When my mother died, my sisters who were living in the same town as my mom did the same.

If you make a commitment to gig, you show up. Period.

Just suppose you went to see Led Zeppelin and Jimmy Page called in sick. How would you feel?

Or went to see Lady Gaga and she called in and substituted Madonna in her place?

Or went to see the Jonas Brothers and got the Allman Brothers instead (hey, this could be a good thing <grin>).

Now if you sit 5th chair in the second violin section of the Cleveland Orchestra it might be a different story. Never playing in a major orchestra, I don't know. But if you were sitting first oboe, and had major solos, I don't think you would want the second oboist covering your parts.

So I repeat:

You are not allowed to miss a gig unless you are dead, and then you must give fair notice and train your replacement before you die. ;-)

Insights and incites by Notes

Archived