Gibson Brands Forums

What was the first album you purchased?

ledzep59

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I was broke as a kid so I bought Beatles singles, usually with 3 or 4 songs. The first ever had "I should've known better" and other 3 songs. This was around 1981.

The first real LPs I bought were AC/DC's Flick of the Switch and Iron Maiden's Piece of Mind in 1983, bought them at the same time. My neighbours had Back in Black, Brittish Steel, Blizzard of Ozz, Dairy of a Madman, Number of the Beast, a lot of Sabbath and Zeppelin so I thought I would buy something new that they did not have so we could listen.

Chuck Berry' date=' Berry is on Top, 1959, I still have it.[/quote']

In '59 we returned to the States after about 3 years in the Panama Canal Zone, where the only radio was Armed Forces Network...no TV at all. Shortly after receiving our household goods my Mom "discovered" American Bandstand and I had a new reason to live...Rock 'n' Roll! I think I must have learned every song in the top 10 from that point on for many years to come.

This is the first one I ever bought. In the Post Exchange in Panama Canal Zone' date=' 1956, as a gift for my Dad.

[img']http://4.bp.blogspot.com/_v7Bk4C9563Y/SKs-FfoxTtI/AAAAAAAACUg/-QgRNWrTe7g/s320/Benny+Goodman+-+The+Great.jpg[/img]

LOL! I bet most of you guys are feeling pretty young now. LOL_smilie.gif

I have a replacement copy of this album as the original got played out. I taught myself to drum listening to Goodman's music and Krupa's drumming.

This was before Rock n Roll!! :-s

LOL! It was kick-butt music' date=' though. Swing still swings! And it's the closest my Dad EVER got to Rock. LOL![/quote']

My Dad was into him too. The old man was part of the WWII generation, he even had a couple of albums of Jim Neighbors. I remember I had to sit through Guy Lombardo on new years eve. My Mother was even worse, Lawrence Welk was on every Sunday at 7:00 PM and I had to watch it. I knew Disney was on the other channel...

Iron Maiden - Killers. Back in 1983. I was 6 years old. Vinyl, of course. I was supposed to buy The Number of the Beast as that was THE album everyone talked about at the time (Piece of Mind had not been released yet), but at the store they had Killers at reduced price so my mom convinced me to get that instead. And lets face it, the cover for Killers was a lot cooler, and Maiden with Paul DiAnno will always be 100 times more awesome than anything with Bruce Dickinson anyway.

Meet the Beatles 1964.

MeettheBeatles.jpg

It was a gift from my sister.

Then I discovered ......never mind

The first one I bought with my money...was this in 1966...still have 'em both.

yardbirds.jpg

sorry I know thats 2 but .....

Maiden with Paul DiAnno will always be 100 times more awesome than anything with Bruce Dickinson anyway.

BULLSH*T!!! That sir is BLASPHEMY!!! Bruce Dickinson is about as close to God as any human being can ever get.... just sayin. [biggrin]

anyway' date=' the first album i bought was Iron Maiden's "Brave New World". I bought it back when i was 12 (which was 4 years ago, so like 2005 i think?) [biggrin

6a00c2251c020b604a00c2251cccfa8fdb-500pi

Archived