Gibson Brands Forums

Bar Chords or Open Chords

crazyhair

I play bar chords just like anyone else except some songs call for open chords! Just like other songs call for bar chords. But some people I have played with swear it's bar chords or nothing. To play an open chord would be a big taboo. When I am rocking out or the blues, it's mainly bar chords. Some songs that are slower or more ballad oriented require open chords for the sound of the individual strings being picked. One person in particular I remember jamming with from an ad on Craigslist was one of these people (not that everyone who plays only bar chords is like this person). He had a big mouth, was dancing around playing his guitar before I had a chance to even tune up. He wouldn't let anyone have a word in and wanted everyone to know he was the big shot. Everything was a bar chord and always started in the key of A. I finally called him an ****n idiot and packed up. Others that I have played with once in a while would be appalled that I would consider playing an open chord.

I use BOTH, equally. And, even "passing" chords. Especially, if I'm in a band or even just a "Jam" with

one or more other guitar players. Open chords, in a rhythm capacity, where the other guitarist uses barre

chords, can be a nice combination, and give a fuller sound, as well. I see that used, quite often, in other

bands (famous or not), where the lead (usually) guitarist will use barre chords, and the rhythm and/or singer,

will use open chords, or even a combination, of the two. It's really a nice combination, and totally valid.

Why limit one's self, to "only" this or that approach?

CB

i agree with charlie. open chords can work in gain/od situations. my gain channel is set around 4 and my main guitar has p-90s and i use open chords almost all the time. its dirty but not insane. things like arpeggios, muting and pick attack can help you bring the clarity of a single note out, even in a gain situation although maybe not super high gain where everything is just mush.

My observation is that each person playing in an ensemble of any sort will have to make adjustments in playing from when one is playing solo or with another ensemble.

But people who are unkind and impolite are likely to be hard to get along with regardless.

That may not sound much like a discussion of barre chords vs open, but... I think the validity of the comment fits a wide range of music and musicians. <grin>

Seriously... I've played with others when virtually all my playing was barre chords; other times virtually all root "open" chords. It's the music, the style and the chemistry of the musicians with the music within a style they mutually have determined is appropriate. A jerk ain't fun regardless.

m

Well, sometimes other players are just more comfortable, in the use of a particular style of chording.

The "band" that I'm in now...the other guitar player uses barre chords, almost exclusively. He

knows the other types, but...just prefers barre chords, for his "style." So, I play the open and

passing chords, to compliment that. I enjoy that, too...and finding other interesting approaches.

That's good for me, and the music, as well. And, some songs/styles just lend themselves to whichever

approach, a bit more. It's all good!

CB

Here's my take on it:

Barre chords and open chords are generally just different voicings of the same chords, and as such you must determine for your own purposes which voicing is more appropriate for the particular situation. In a "standards" context with another guitarist (he plays melody and I accompany on chords,) it's important to be as transparent as possible--that means neutral rhythm patterns with no specific emphasis or stress on beats, and no complicated voicings. In a context like that, an open chord tends to "cover up" or "step all over" the melody line, so it's actually a little inconsiderate to use open chords. In general, when I play rhythm I like to be a little subdued, to avoid taking distinction from the lead instrument. If it's just one guitar, however, open chords can be useful because they have brighter voicings, and they can really fill out an arrangement.

And yeah, it's also important to consider what "sound" you're using. Open chords generally sound a little gnarly (harmonically over-saturated and indistinct) with a lot of distortion, whereas a 5 chord/power chord will sound distinct and harmonically balanced.

If I can use open chords for all music I will' date=' just fuller IMO.

Especially a G going through a Tube amp its such a open and great sounding chord.[/quote']

Or a G5 - fret the B string at the third fret too - sounds great with gain.

Same for a D using just the 4 high strings.

(AC/DC anybody?) :D

Depends a lot on which guitar I'm using as well.

Any gain with humbuckers and full chords can turn to mud.

P-90s were mentioned above, they allow much more clarity with the gain still there.

Strat/Tele I can use full chords much of the time - if I wanna bother.

If I'm first getting a new song together, I'll run through it with barre/power chords first - even on acoustic.

Once I know I have the basic song, I start filling in the blanks.

Depends on what it needs.

I'm a two-string power chord hack.

:D/

Same here but I use the 3 string approach just to get more fullness.

Barre chords is something I did right from the beginning, I use them when the song calls for it.

The dude I play guitar with uses a lot of open chords, I double with the corresponding power chord a lot of times. It makes for a nice mix.

The dude I play guitar with uses a lot of open chords' date='

I double with the corresponding power chord a lot of times.

It makes for a nice mix.[/quote']

Same here.

I'll watch to see what the other guy is doing and try not to land right on top of him.

Courtesy, and a broader mix too, eh?

felix.jpg

There's room for both in my Bag of Tricks. In fact my Back of Tricks has room for any Chord Voicing, Fingering, Arpeggio, Flat Pick, Finger Pick, "Hybrid" Pick, Travis Pick, Pick Scrape, Dive Bomb, Over Bend, Neck Slap, Slide, Open Tuning, or Alternate Tuning. Fill up your bag of tricks, don't restrict it.

I have never heard of people determined not to use either open or bar chords. Too bad for them. My only 'thing' about bar chords is I mostly prefer to fret & strum all 6 strings if it's in the open E position (bar all 6 with my index finger), or else all 5 if it's in the open A position (bar all 5 across). I don't know if I'm using the correct technical lingo but maybe you follow me.

Depends on the song.

I prefer bar chords because they are easier for me, but I try to choose the chord and the inversion for the sound. Sometimes I'll even jump around the neck to get the right inversions of the chords I want to play.

I'm sure nobody notices but me, but pleasing myself is also important ;-)

? Notes

Depends on the song.

I prefer bar chords because they are easier for me' date=' but I try to choose the chord and the inversion for the sound. Sometimes I'll even jump around the neck to get the right inversions of the chords I want to play.

I'm sure nobody notices but me, but pleasing myself is also important ;-)

? Notes[/quote']

Exactly. You play what the song requires. If you're not soloing, you're accompanying. You play what sounds good to you withing the framework of the song, between what the rest of the band is giving you and what you want to do give back.

Archived