Gibson Brands Forums

Got asked to Jam :)

Playing on a Mesa Lone Star at Guitar Center and an Epiphone Sheraton, this kid (teen, probably around 17) comes over and said he really likes my sound, and wants to jam. We play around for about twenty minutes, switching off between lead and rhythm, just messing around. Sounded really good, he gave me his phone number and are now in talks of playing again sometime. I plan on talking to him for a while, meet up at Guitar Center, then see where it goes.

Call me paranoid, but I don't feel like just going to some random person's house [cool]

He was okay, said he has a drummer, so I am pretty excited.

Anyone else have weird experiences like that?

Playing on a Mesa Lone Star at Guitar Center and an Epiphone Sheraton' date=' this kid (teen, probably around 17) comes over and said he really likes my sound, and wants to jam. We play around for about twenty minutes, switching off between lead and rhythm, just messing around. Sounded really good, he gave me his phone number and are now in talks of playing again sometime. I plan on talking to him for a while, meet up at Guitar Center, then see where it goes.

Call me paranoid, but I don't feel like just going to some random person's house [cool

He was okay, said he has a drummer, so I am pretty excited.

nope.

I know 3 other guitarists and one poser.

I regularly play with 2 of them.

We're long friends so we're cool going wherever, plus we live within 5 minutes drive/walk of each other.

nope.

I know 3 other guitarists and one poser.

I regularly play with 2 of them.

We're long friends so we're cool going wherever' date=' plus we live within 5 minutes drive/walk of each other.[/quote']

It's hard to find a good guitarist around me, everyone either sucks, or just plays metal.

Hard to find someone blues oriented.

I hope this works out, we clicked pretty well

a long time ago, i was asked to join a band after being heard playing in a music store. one jam with that group and i knew it wasn't gonna happen.

i hope you're more successful than i was: finding guys to jam with was tough when i was younger, and next to impossible now...

and, after hearing what Tommy Shaw and Jack Blades have been doing lately, a duo may not even be a bad thing... :-)

Don

I have it happen often, but you need to be careful. This is someone you don't know. Don''t rush into anything. and if you do get together and jam bring a friend or 2 along . I don't trust anyone i meet on the street. the world is full of crazy's.

Yeah Fred it's had to find a decent guitarist around here too. Just metal, jonas brothers (purposely lowercase) or some other crap I dont like.

good luck man have fun [angry]

I have met and jammed with a lot of freaks in my many years of playing music. You should definitely meet up at a public place to hang out and feel each other out. Coffee bars a great for that. If it clicks jam out. I would advise one of those hourly places because they are public too and you can bolt if it gets too weird.

My biggest words of advice is to not swap or lend each other stuff (pedals, CDs, albums, etc) until you know you like the guy and can trust him. If the guy creeps you out and has something of yours, you'll be forced to hunt him down to get your thing back.

Back in the day when I was a stranger in a town I would hang out at the music stores in order to meet other musicians. I would also try to get on the good side of the people working there and in some cases these guys would recommend me. If you're new to town and you're looking for a gig there's not a better place to go.

I'm 6'4" and weigh 210 lbs. I was never worried about any 'funny stuff' going down. I was confident I could handle myself.

I'm 18. He seemed alright. Turns out he's 19. I don't plan on hanging out a ton' date=' possibly another trip to Guitar Center, meet up, see what happens.[/quote']

Ahhhhhhhhh young love [biggrin]

gotta love it.

its the same story where i live fred, every guitarist is a metal guitarist. i only know one guy who doesnt only do metal, hes in a metal band but plays jazz most of the time

Didn't Jeffery Dahmer meet his first victim in this manner? [biggrin]

Thought it was gay bars. He'd lure them home with the promise of sex.

Yeah, gay or straight, us dudes can be so simple sometimes.

Perhaps I'm "weird" too' date=' but I see nothing strange about meeting a fellow musician and agreeing to play a bit together. I certainly wouldn't assume that that could lead to anything dangerous.

Many years ago a "weird" young musician named Keith started talking to a "weird" school mate of his named Mick on the subway, and they decided to make music together.

Soon they found another "weird" guy named Brian and they formed a band.

I guess you know how the story ends, don't you?

Mick and Keith began to hate Brian and had him killed in a swimming pool.

Be careful! You can't trust anyone!!!

[biggrin

I had a similar experience at Guitar Center also. I was playing around in the acoustic room when a big guy comes up to me and says he's looking to put together a group of people to record some covers of some old songs, ones that didn't quite make it and he thought we could improve them with some cover versions. We exchanged phone numbers but it never panned out. I talked to him a couple of times but never heard from him again.

Would have been kinda neat but ce' la vie...

The last thing I would be scared of is some teen at guitar center, you guys are way too cautious. Just another guy wanting to play music, I doubt he wants to turn you into a bender or anything. Jamming with someone who has interests other than yours can broaden your spectrum and appreciation of other styles and genres. Building your repertoire is a definite plus if you ever want to join a band in the future, go for it.

Archived