Gibson Brands Forums

How many of you use you TONE knobs ??

SGSpecialguy

I kind of run my Les Paul in two configurations. One of them is with both volumes at 10, and the tone knobs at 7. With these knob settings I get substantially different sounds by using the pickup selector switch, and can always add more "chime" by turning up a tone knob. Most of the sounds here are relatively mellow, or at least warm when crunchy.

The other configuration I learned from the guys here - I dime both tone knobs and the neck pickup volume. Bridge volume on 5. This gives me a more biting attack which works better for aggressive sounds. The pickup selector stays in the middle, and if I need even more bite I'll dime the bridge pickup too.

I use them to get different sounds out of the guitar - depending on my mood and the song.

Some nights I don't touch them at all (not in a tweaking mood), others I adjust them frequently.

I seldom run them too low, as it sounds muddy to me, but mostly keep them between 5 and 10.

Insights and incites by Notes ?

The other configuration I learned from the guys here - I dime both tone knobs and the neck pickup volume. Bridge volume on 5. This gives me a more biting attack which works better for aggressive sounds. The pickup selector stays in the middle' date=' and if I need even more bite I'll dime the bridge pickup too.[/quote']

an interesting concept that I'll have to try,,

kind of suprised at the responses in the "yes" factor,, to me it use to sound like pilling a bunch of socks in front of your speaker, Ive always like clarity and presence in my tone, of course not BITING tone like Albert Collins or nothing,, [blush]

When I play through the neck pup, I sometimes like to turn the tone knob down all the way. -Especially if I'm using a fuzz box. I love the tone I get with that.

Here's a pretty cool trick to get a wah effect with only your guitar:

Put your pickup selector switch in the middle (so you're getting both pups). Then, turn your tone knob down all the way on your rhythm (neck) pickup. Leave all the other knobs up all the way. Hit a chord and then rapidly switch between bridge and neck pickup. The tone being at 0 for the neck, and the bridge tone being at 10 will give you a wah type sound when you switch. It's pretty cool. I can't remember who I learned that from. -I probably read it in some guitar magazine. Of course, nothing beats a real wah, but it's fun to get different sounds out of just a guitar!

Been using the tone knobs, and volume knobs, for years. Back off the tone,

when I want a fatter or mellower tone, and dime them, at times, for what that gives me.

I even had my Strat wired, years ago...so the bottom tone knob works with the bridge pickup,

and the middle tone knob, works the middle and neck pickups. How much I used the tone

knob, depends on (1) which amp I'm using....oddly enough, I use it more, with Fender amps

than with Marshall's, (2) which effects I'm using, and (3) if I'm playing rhythm or "lead," and

even which guitar I'm using. But, that's probably just "my" personal preferences....your's

may/will vary, no doubt.

CB

I changed my RGX to on/off operation. I went through loads of caps to get just the sound I was after. This way, when the switch is off, it lets more highs through because the output is not being loaded by the tone pot. With the switch on I get a nice effect like a wah in the heel position.

to get a tele twang out of a bucker' date=' you'd have to have the tone knob wide open on 10 no ?? [cool] [/quote']

Correct. On the bridge pickup. And it helps to pick near the bridge if you're really going for full-on, straight-ahead twang.

I find that most of the time I use the neck pickup with the tone at around 5 to 7 for rhythm. I go lower for a mellower sound and I go higher for more articulation and punch. Fingerpicking sounds nice with the switch in the middle position, the bridge tone knob dimed and the neck tone knob at around 4. Leads come out from the middle position with the neck volume backed off to around 6 and both tone knobs dimed. If I want more of a Leigh Stephens or Alvin Lee sort of sound I'll play right out of the neck pickup with the tone at around 4. For twang it's the bridge pickup, with as much treble as possible.

I usually keep my bridge tone around 6 or 7 when using the slide...or most of the time I use both pick ups at once ill keep them pretty close to 8, usually never all the way up to 10 unless I'm on the neck pickup and want that real crisp clean tone.

Archived