Gibson Brands Forums

your first 45?

saturn

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I really can't remember my first 45 rpm but my mother used to buy the old ones from the Juke Box guy when he took them off of the juke box at the restaurant where she worked. I know that I had Beatles and Stones records.

ksdaddy

Used to do "Are you a boy or are you a girl" in that first college rock band.

Barbarians: the only rock band with a drummer who played with a hook hand.

My first .45 - my little sis had more earlier - was Julie London's "Cry me a river." I still love it both for the song, her voice, the arrangement in general and the jazz guitar backing...

Oh, the little sis thing? Girls got into that stuff a lot earlier than the boys. She's 2 years younger. She's like nine and already talking the folks into a record player for her that she could play .45s on. I just had my big console tube multi-band radio.

m

georgie-1.jpg

And here it is:

[YOUTUBE]

[/YOUTUBE]

It's a children's book that is narrated but what's cool about it is that there are real instruments being played instead of using cheap synthesizers like what you hear on modern children's records. They can learn to hear and identify each instrument. A REALLY great recording for this is the narrated recording (by Boris Karloff!) of Prokofiev's Peter and the Wolf. If you have kids and want them to become better acquainted with classical instruments and music' date=' I was enchanted by this when I was young.

Prokofiev: Peter & the Wolf (Amazon, with sound clips)

I don't remember the first... but a few I listened to a lot were

Seasons in the Sun - Terry Jacks (This may have been the first?)

Ballroom Blitz - Sweet

Welcome to my nightmare - Alice Cooper

Lucy in the sky with Diamonds - Elton John

Archived