Gibson Brands Forums

Lps VS SGs

Adrielplaysepi

As much as I think both are outstanding guitars, I have to go with the Les Paul. The look, the sound and the versatility of an LP just about make it the perfect guitar in my book. I love my SG, but there have just been too many of them that I found to be wide in the neck and rather unconfortable (for me) to play. As my wife is fond of saying, "Jim, you've never picked up a Les Paul that you didn't fall in love with." ... she knows me so well!

MIDI

Wasn't sure, so I checked my guitar rack... 4 Les Pauls, no SGs. My vote is for Pauls all the way. SGs are just uncomfortable to play in comparison, IMO. Too neck heavy, not heavy enough overall... not a fan of a flat top guitar either. I am intrigued by the SG Diablo, with the carved top... but the control configuration is stripped down to master tone and volume, which sucks. All in all, I'll stick with a Paul.

I had to vote for the Les Paul. I was never a SG fan at all until I got my Elitist SG. I just never cared for the looks of them. I bought my Elitist SG when MF was blowing them out and feel in love with it. It had a nice, comfortable neck and I loved the upper fret access. I have owned another since that first but for some reason always go back to the Les Paul.

Between these 2 "classic" designs, I have to go with the Les Paul (though I've had several SGs over the years and like them a lot too).

Of late though, I'd have to say my favorite guitar is my Hamer...it's got the carved top and sustain of an LP, the double cut gives me the fret access of an SG, AND it's fairly light ('bout 6 lbs) without being a neck diver.

Odd thing is, they've been around almost as long as I've been playing, but I never gave them a thought till a few weeks ago. Oh well, live & learn, right?

I don't know what a Boob13 is, but I like both guitars, although the SG is easier on the shoulder. However, my only complaint with an Epiphone SG is they're neck-heavy, i.e., if you let go of the neck, it has a nasty tendency to dive toward the floor. I once owned a Gibson SG Standard that didn't do that...I miss that guitar. The thing I like about my trusty Blue Bomber is, it's a solidbody like the Les Pauls of old, no swiss cheese or chambering with that guitar. After a while though, it weighs quite heavily on my shoulder. A Gibson Les Paul Classic I once owned was chambered, and the weight difference was quite noticeable. As far as this "Boob13" you speak of...? I didn't vote because I like them both.

Gotta go with the Les Paul...never did like the SGs' date=' but then I can't find a Dot I like either:-k

Capt [/quote']

I don't care for them at all, tried to play several and just hate em, but I also think they're ugly because they are too "busy" looking and large shaped too so I'm sure I'm in the minority there.

Archived