Gibson Brands Forums

Whoooo's a luddite?

Jantha

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I guess I am too. I work in Military Aviation and see how often our electronics fail in daily use, and how fast they change. After 4 or 5 years the electronics are so out of date that replacement parts are extremely hard if not impossible to get. I think that is one of the reasons I prefer a "Regular" guitar, with pedals that can be changed out for different effects at a reasonable price on a as needed basis. When they are out of date or you need a different effect it is relativley easy and simple to change them out.

I guess I'm a Luddite (whatever that means). I like good old fashion guitars plugged into effects into a tube amp.

Years ago I had an Electra Omega and I didn't get any effects modules because I wanted the flexibility of changing the effect sound, not just turning it on and off. Besides, my hands are busy enough while playing. I prefer using my feet for effects.

I'm an anti-luddite I guess, especially in my field of work. (according to the definition I had to look up).

I guess I should be too given my line of work... but I'm just really starting to feel overwhelmed with all the newer, "better" technology that's coming out. I can't keep up anymore.. I've turned into a 12 o'clock flasher.

Would this be in reference tp the Firebird X? lol...

When i first saw it I thought Nooo! It look horrible in my opinion, but may be good for studio work.

I definately wouldn't but it over say a LP or SG...

Gibson should realise that people want quality classic instruments...gadgets should be second place to quality and craftmanship...

I guess I am too. I work in Military Aviation and see how often our electronics fail in daily use, and how fast they change. After 4 or 5 years the electronics are so out of date that replacement parts are extremely hard if not impossible to get. I think that is one of the reasons I prefer a "Regular" guitar, with pedals that can be changed out for different effects at a reasonable price on a as needed basis. When they are out of date or you need a different effect it is relativley easy and simple to change them out.

"Luddite" must be the same as made from "Unobtanium".

Gibson should realise that people want quality classic instruments...gadgets should be second place to quality and craftmanship...

That sums up my feelings pretty well.

I'm somewhat indifferent to the Firebird X. I can see why some people might like it... it's just not for yours truly.

Although.. I wouldn't mind having a 1st generation robot :-k

I am not afraid of technology. I may not like something after I try it out, but at least I'm willing to withhold judgment until I try it.

I have nothing but the utmost indifference towards the Firebird X. Well...I don't know, some of it seems a little cool to me. Theory and application are two different things, but for the moment I simply don't have enough information (i.e. I haven't played one) to judge it fairly.

That sums up my feelings pretty well.

I'm somewhat indifferent to the Firebird X. I can see why some people might like it... it's just not for yours truly.

Although.. I wouldn't mind having a 1st generation robot :-k

Would that make you a first generation twelve o'clock robot flasher? :blink:[biggrin]

I'd love a robot. I am a bread and butter guitar straight into a tube amp guy and I'd love to be able to not to have to play all Stones songs in a row then change guitars for any standard tuning song (for instance). I mean the singer makes fun of me for constantly tuning on stage. I can't help it, I hate being out of tune. I say keep on innovating, it'll only get better and the classics will always be made (unless the business ungoes a catastrophic failure).

Lets see . . . The GOR came out three years ago. Quite a few models have been released since then, each one pushing the envelope further - robotic tuning, then Chameleon tone technology, improved robotic tuning and expanded alt tuning storage, Pure-Analog DSP engine with Goldtone FX, SD memory card slot for recording/playback, audio stream with bi-directional control, third party app storage, wireless pedals.

That's quite list of ground breaking tech. Oh, and these guitars and their tech are selling well.

But there's still all those luddites laughing - just like the horse and buggy luddites laughing at horseless carriages. [flapper]

I guess I should be too given my line of work... but I'm just really starting to feel overwhelmed with all the newer, "better" technology that's coming out. I can't keep up anymore.. I've turned into a 12 o'clock flasher.

+1 [lol]

...... starting to feel overwhelmed with all the newer, "better"

technology that's coming out. I can't keep up anymore.. I've

turned into a 12 o'clock flasher.

Welcome, Brother. All this time you thought all the "12:00"s

flashing at you were just evidence of slackers ? Nooooo ......

It's our High Sign, it's how we secretly recognize each other.

That, and acoarst a Maglite and Leatherman in belt holsters.

`

Archived