Gibson Brands Forums

Took my American Strat back

Tim Plains

Thank goodness for 30 day return policies. Sounded good, look good, but I'd get hand cramps after playing the guitar for extended periods of time. I thought I just needed to give it time and that I'd get used to it...but after three weeks I decided to take it back. I am officially done with Fender C shaped necks.

As luck would have it, I got an email from a fellow & local guitar addict who was selling his Strat and I snatched it. 2010 '56 NOS with Fender '69 Strat pickups. It's wired differently - has the stock 3 way toggle switch but the top tone pot was rewired as a volume pot for the middle pickup. The bottom tone pot controls all 3 pickups. I get the standard 5 Strat tones but can also get the neck+bridge and neck+middle+bridge. The second pickup also lets me blend in the middle pickup and get a few more tones out of it.

Most importantly - it's got the a Boat Neck V shaped neck and is ubber comfortable to play.

I know Fenders aren't much to look at; so, here are a few pics with her sister...lol.

IMG_0486.jpg

IMG_0493.jpg

Different strokes I guess.

All the cheapo guitars I started out on led me to Strat clones.

Nicest was a MIJ Kramer Strat copy.

Finally bought a new Strat in 1993.

Went from super skinny imports to the Modified C.

Hated the Les Paul Standards I had from 86 and 93 - necks were too chunky.

Then I discovered the 60 Slim Taper.

Still don't like Louisville Slugger necks - and I have some big hands.

Cheers guys.

I love fat necks. Tree trunk would accurately describe this Nocaster.

Purty! Neat wiring mod too. I've often wondered how that neck/bridge would sound in a Strat, and the fact that you can bring it the middle a bit at a time is cool.

It's definitely different. Don't know how to describe it. Sounds like a dirty Strat...but in a good way.

Everybody should have a Strat and a Tele in their collection

:-({|=

I firmly disagree. I'll give you the Tele, depending on what model, but I would rather not play guitar at all than be stuck with any Strat or Strat copy.

Congrats! I actually don't even know what neck I have on my Strat. It's definitely a c shape. It feels very comfortable. I tend to like the chunky necks too. I played a hard v neck but it felt weird to me. Anyhow, nice addition to your collection...

I firmly disagree. I'll give you the Tele, depending on what model, but I would rather not play guitar at all than be stuck with any Strat or Strat copy.

what model Teles do you like?

I love my Tele because it sounds awesome. It makes me work for it though.

I really want to put together a "partscaster" Cabronita Tele in fiesta red with a double bound body and a neck to my specs with the flatter Gibson style fret radius. And of course some filtertrons or something. I've checked it out and it wouldn't be all that expensive for top knotch sheeutt.

Archived