Gibson Brands Forums

Pick guard or no pick guard?

EvanPC

A little background: I've got an Epi LP that, from time to time, I'll remove the pick guard simply because I like to change up its appearance from time to time. You know, sort of like rearranging your living room. The guitar came with the guard installed, so making the change is easy.

Now, I've also got an Gibson LP studio which came with a pick guard but it was not installed. In my eyes, the natural/high gloss finish on the body is almost too beautiful to drill into. On the other hand, I wish I had the ability to put it on or take it off whenever I please.

So, do you prefer a pick guard on or off?

And, would you want to install (drill into the body) simply to have the option?

It's been a well debated and established fact that all the tone comes from the pick guard.

Or was it that the pick guard saps the tone right out of it....?

It's a personal choice thing. No PG on my LP because the wood is just too danged beautiful and I don't need it to protect my axe from my picking or my pick hand.

Ymmv.

I find that if I remove the screws and the pickguard I loose too much sustain so I reinstall the screws so I cas still have good sustain.

If I had a vintage Les Paul with a perfectly bookmatched flamed maple top I may remove the pickguard or install a clear acrylic one so that the woodgrain could all be seen but otherwise I leave the pickguard on.

Well, if I took the pickguard off my SG...

Nah! But on a Les Paul? Well, I happen to think they usually look better with the pickguard, but I appear to be a minority on this.

As far as I know, pickguard has very little effect on a Les Paul's tone. If you were choosing between a maple and a mahogany pickguard, and if they were glued flush to a guitar with a flat top, then...

It's been a well debated and established fact that all the tone comes from the pick guard.

Or was it that the pick guard saps the tone right out of it....?

It's a personal choice thing. No PG on my LP because the wood is just too danged beautiful and I don't need it to protect my axe from my picking or my pick hand.

Ymmv.

Me thinks that with the pick guard on you get excellent tone!

however, with the pick guard off you get righteous sustain - sustain for days..... listen can you can hear it sustaining right now and it's not been played in a week.

I personally like the looks with the pick guard on. I really don't like the look with out it.

A little background: I've got an Epi LP that, from time to time, I'll remove the pick guard simply because I like to change up its appearance from time to time. You know, sort of like rearranging your living room. The guitar came with the guard installed, so making the change is easy.

Now, I've also got an Gibson LP studio which came with a pick guard but it was not installed. In my eyes, the natural/high gloss finish on the body is almost too beautiful to drill into. On the other hand, I wish I had the ability to put it on or take it off whenever I please.

So, do you prefer a pick guard on or off?

And, would you want to install (drill into the body) simply to have the option?

pick guard OFF at all times imo, although you can buy "stick on" ones save drilling the holes B)

Archived