Gibson Brands Forums

MAB string dampener...

S t e v e

What most players do is use a hair band or something. Check out the vids on youtube of Andy James and you'll see what I mean. It dampens the strings in the exact same way, costs less and doesnt look stupid when not in use. Hope this was helpfull :)

Interesting......i've often wondered if such a product were made.

I use the heel and/or side of my pick hand .......

Blues and "Honky Tonk" don't require much tapping, but I do hammer on/pull offs...and a BIT of tapping, and use my inner fore-arm as a damper then.

Isn't that cheating? ;)

Unless you're strictly a two handed tapper,

Jennifer Batten

used something similar in the 80's when she was playing with Michael Jackson.

medium_batten.jpeg

This is not a new idea, I belive there was also a Chet Atkins model Gretsch that came with one by the bridge.

Yep I've played one of those Gretschs with the dampener by the bridge. It's a pretty useless contraption if you ask me. I couldn't get it to sound even decent with that thing. Maybe I was using it wrong. My memory is a little hazy on that but I believe there is a seperate dampener for the EAD and GBE strings. Maybe it's supposed to mute them altogether.. I don't know. I'm sure Chet did something cool with it.

I think the Jaguar and / or the Jazzmaster had a little removable dampener. Everybody took them off immediately.

Johnny Cash used a dollar bill woven through the strings just in front of the bridge or a match book cover. Paul McCartney used a piece of foam under the bass strings in the studio at times. Look close at his bass in this video, you can see it at the very beginning of the song at about 53 seconds into the song and at 1:51 it is starting to fall out, it looks like a third pickup under his hand.

Archived