Gibson Brands Forums

Those days when you just cant get into it

Guest Farnsbarns

Guest FarnsBarns

You know those days when you pick up a guitar and nothing really happens, there's no inspiration and no spark. You just can't get into it. I've been having that for a about a week now. I think I need a few days of not playing. What do you all do if and when this happens.

I used to find that with biking (motor bike that is). Some days I'd go out and couldn't get into it.

Not get the apex right, making mistakes etc. So, I'd turn round and go home. Safety before death. We have some great roads here in the UK.

Guest FarnsBarns

Tune to an open G and play slide or some Stones.

That's uncanny, this morning I picked up my Dobro and did just that, ok, it was open D but close enough.

I tend to switch guitars for a different feel...

A medium size AE and a Dot are currently the main and alternate and whichever gets picked up first sets whether it gets played or the other does.

m

What do you all do if and when this happens.

Buy a new Guitar! Just kidding (hummm let me think about that???), take a few days off or get the latest edition of Guitar World and just read a bit while staying on subject & possibly getting some inspirational spark.

Usually, when that happens, I listen to music that doesn't normally fit into my style, then learn some of those songs, or at least attempt to.

A lot of the times, something will carry over into my own music that has aspects of the weird stuff, then back into my "normality"

Archived