Gibson Brands Forums

And were back!

dem00n

Guest Gibson Dev

Sorry for not having much additional to provide at this time. What we can say is that we were significantly impacted by the Amazon Cloud outage from the past few days. Beginning Thursday morning around 2:45am CST the Amazon Cloud services in our region went down. They are just now making these resources available to our systems and we are slowly bringing our sites back online. The forums are rather self contained so bringing them up was a quick process. We're currently working on the Gibson.Com website and will continue devoting our attention to bringing up our other sites as Amazon resources continue to come back online. Thank you to everyone for your patience.

Gibson Development Team

Ouch! that was a painful and costly outage for a lot of companies. :unsure:

Glad your getting things back online and hope all the tech people can start to relax I just retired out of the tech field (City Government) last years and it's never easy to explain outages to upper management even if it had nothing to do with your sites. I spent hours trying to explain large outages especially to public safety who seemed to feel their wireless should work even during national and regional outages.

You can do redundant and multiple sites etc. but the backbone can still go down and that last few percentage points for additional guaranteed service sure get's expensive.

. . . Beginning Thursday morning around 2:45am CST the Amazon Cloud services in our region went down. They are just now making these resources available to our systems and we are slowly bringing our sites back online. ....... We're currently working on the Gibson.Com website ......

Thanks for posting that info.

Sorry for not having much additional to provide at this time. What we can say is that we were significantly impacted by the Amazon Cloud outage from the past few days. Beginning Thursday morning around 2:45am CST the Amazon Cloud services in our region went down. They are just now making these resources available to our systems and we are slowly bringing our sites back online. The forums are rather self contained so bringing them up was a quick process. We're currently working on the Gibson.Com website and will continue devoting our attention to bringing up our other sites as Amazon resources continue to come back online. Thank you to everyone for your patience.

Gibson Development Team

Thanks for providing the particulars, and getting the site running..... Now go and enjoy your Easter Holiday!!!!

Exactly.... a big thanks to hard-working folks who I'm certain were more frustrated than any "regular" forum members.

Best of "luck" on getting the entire Gibson set of sites up. You've one of those often thankless jobs and here's one guy who figures you deserve thanks for the extra effort and dedication.

m

As I understand it, Amazon - not Amazon.com the bookselling and anything else selling business - sells virtual servers etc. to companies with the major selling point of scalability. That means heavy use and adding capacity gets charged more, but that lesser use gets charged less.

The problem as I understand it is that there's a question of the degree of truth-telling by this service to their customers such as Gibson in terms of reliability and redundancy.

Frankly I can understand easily how a company, especially after being flooded literally, might strongly consider such a service for data longevity - assuming that the cloud service has the redundancy claimed.

But as I've written on the forums and elsewhere... I don't trust clouds as far as I can pick up and carry one, and for more reasons than stated above.

m

Archived