Gibson Brands Forums

What is YOUR Favorite Modulation Effect?

kaleb

I have to say my favorite is some good ol (pitch bending) vibrato. I usually like it slow and subtle but I'm definately down for some whackyness.

Second favorite would be ring modulation. I love my friend's moog ring mod and I loved the ring mod settings on my SMMH (especially with fuzzz)

I haven't experimented with phasers as much as I'd like to. I really dig them when used creatively and not as a sound cool button but I find that it's really easy to sound cheesey/ over processed with them. I can't get into flangers for some reason.

I'm gonna go with Spring Box Reverb if that counts. If not I'll go with my Crybaby Wah pedal. I don't really use any effects other than distortion/overdrive and reverb. I like a good phaser every once and a while but I haven't really experimented with a whole lot of phasers.

Hmm I didn't realize that some of the effects listed here are in the modulation camp.

If a looper is in the modulation camp, then that's my favorite. If delay is as well then that's my second favorite. And I love reverb...

I'm pretty sure a wah wah is not modulation though. Then again.. wtf does modulation even mean?

To my knowledge, chorus, vibrato, tremolo, rotary speaker, pitch shift, autowah, wah, reverb, and phaser/flanger as modulation fx....However, we draw the distinction between delays and modulation effects primarily due to application delays are used specifically to produce distinct repeats in the output signal.

Modulation effects do not feature distinct repeats, (as their delay time is too short) but rather feature the blend of dry vs. altered (or modulated) signal, and the resulting combined sound.

I'm very surprised that nobody mentioned flange. Lord knows I love my Ibanez Airplane Flanger. I can get so many sounds out of it its insane. The big purple box will take you ( or fly you for that matter ) anywhere from warm flange-chorus to slow Phase 45-esqe sounds to rotating speakers, nice vibrato/pitch modulation, vocal-like talkbox flange, tinny filter matrix, sweeping, over-the-top flange ( think Alex Lifeson's intro to Spirit of the Radio ), and even a Trower-ish Uni-Vibe tone. Very cool toy. I love flange because it ain't chorus but doesn't have the big WHOOSSHHH and filter sweep of a phaser. Kinda in-between. A little, almost unoticeable chorus touch but with a sweep thats not overly deep. And I love em' because it makes me stand out. You never see flangers on people's boards anymore. Its always either a chorus or a Phase 90. And the Airplane has a built-in gate!!!!!!! Fred I know you'll love it!

Archived