Gibson Brands Forums

If you became famous how would you choose to sell out?

Kimbabig

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Actually, on a more serious note, if I were big enough as a guitarist, I'd love an endorsement deal with a major guitar manufacturer and an amp company. I don't really see that as selling out, though, because it just makes it easier (assuming that your endorser supplies you with gear) to get the gear that you need in quantities that you feel you need. I wouldn't mind a Mesa/Boogie endorsement.

Oh, and signature Dunlop guitar picks with pictures of my face on them. [lol]

If I was going to sell out, I'd go all Gene Simmons on your asses and plaster my band name and likeness on everything you could imagine... except toilet paper, I'm nobody's asswipe. lol

come to think of it... hell, toilet paper too. Then I might even make money off the haters. lol [tongue]

Go big or go home!

kim, i thought you were better than this...never dis the "youngs".

i'm disapointed with you mate. #-o

I'm not saying Ac/Dc sold out, the thread just got me thinking, and I figured, hey, let's have fun instead of bash bands.

I guess in ways I really don't understand the concept of "selling out."

If it's changing one's music, why not? It gets boring to do the same thing all the time.

If it's changing one's lifestyle, that's natural with age.

If it's putting on a show as wild angels or demons, then taking off the wig, that's a recognition of the entertainment business and you're making a living at it.

In ways I think we're all in that latter category to an extent. That's one reason, I think, that "country" artists may seldom be accused of "selling out" by fans because more often what you see on stage is what you get. But in rock I think it tends to be after a while as the pickers get more comfortable with themselves with age, there's a recognition that it's a matter of putting on a show.

The "unplugged" thing may be one of the better things to happen in rock because it tends also to have more of the musician's inside coming out as opposed to the electronic outside.

Even when I was playing rock, I always was aware that a lotta what's going on in a crowd is like a high school pep rally for the football team. Recognizing that ain't selling out.

T shirts and wine and stuff? Hey, I don't see anything wrong with endorsing a product you like. Functionally already I endorse Gibson and Epi guitars and some on here already endorse other instruments, strings, etc., and even brands of whisky. Is that selling out? I don't think so.

I dunno. Back in the olden days a lotta folks thought Bobby Zimmerman "sold out" when he took electric guitars on stage, but it's as if they didn't recognized he'd started more or less as a rock guy. A lotta current country pickers did rock as teens.

As for a Gibbie "Milod sig" guitar... maybe a 335 or 175 with an added master volume would be just fine, thanks.

m

Archived