Gibson Brands Forums

Dumbing down - people getting dumber and dumber

Duende

Idiocracy - Just watched this with my wife!

It isn't the greatest film in the world and as a piece of cinema far from perfect, but the premise of smarter people breeding less and less - and dumber people breeding more and more, makes for some very funny and interesting viewing! :) The film, set in the future, has people in society that if you speak 'normally' and pronounce words correctly (and don't use slang etc), call you a '***', people vote presidents in like on a pop idol and everything scientific and cultural has been diluted. The world's IQ has fallen so much, that someone's average IQ in the year 2005, 500 years later is considered genius!

Here is the trailer - lots of social commentary in the film about many of the ills of today LOL

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L0yQunhOaU0

• Replies 185
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I said this on MLP...but this has to be one of the worst movies I have ever seen. Good premise but poorly executed. The acting was horrible...WAY over the top and the visuals were similar. I didn't care for anything about that movie but the idea behind it. I didn't even find it funny...

I am either getting dumber or I was not as smart as I thought I was.

I thought I was smart enough to be able to figure out which it is. But, the more intelligence I put into it, the more the evidence shows I am quite dumb.

So, the smartest thing to do is to try and not think too hard.

This movie is epic, but also frighteningly true. I almost cried because it was so funny, but also because its way to close to the truth. I experienced an example of this first hand this weekend:

My wife and I are expecting our first child in 6 weeks. We took a birthing class this weekend. There were 5 couples including us enrolled in the course. During introductions, we learn that every couple in the room are university graduates, but one. Now I am not saying you need a piece of paper to be successful, as I know people that skipped college that make more money than me, but in this particular scenario, everyone seemed intelligent and articulate, save our non-grads.

Our non grad soon to be dad Tommy, to put it softly, is a simple son of a b*tch. He over hears me mention during lunch that I teach a Sunday school class and asks me later if I can help him learn to read (English is his first and only language, mind you). His mate is less vocal about her shortcomings, but seems to be at a similar intelligence level.

Tommy later states to the class that this is actually not his first child. Turns out, its his fifth, but he thought they should take the class because this is his first child with this particular woman. Also, he was not actually present for the births of the previous four, so figured he would stick around for this one.

I physically felt sick to my stomach as I looked around at the clean, educated married couples that waited until they had the means to support a child until conceiving, and Tommy, the illiterate, unemployed moron that is maybe 8 IQ points above being legally brain dead, who has out produced everyone else in the room COMBINED. Here is to you Tommy, for polluting the world with your second rate seed.

This movie is epic, but also frighteningly true. I almost cried because it was so funny, but also because its way to close to the truth. I experienced an example of this first hand this weekend:

My wife and I are expecting our first child in 6 weeks. We took a birthing class this weekend. There were 5 couples including us enrolled in the course. During introductions, we learn that every couple in the room are university graduates, but one. Now I am not saying you need a piece of paper to be successful, as I know people that skipped college that make more money than me, but in this particular scenario, everyone seemed intelligent and articulate, save our non-grads.

Our non grad soon to be dad Tommy, to put it softly, is a simple son of a b*tch. He over hears me mention during lunch that I teach a Sunday school class and asks me later if I can help him learn to read (English is his first and only language, mind you). His mate is less vocal about her shortcomings, but seems to be at a similar intelligence level.

Tommy later states to the class that this is actually not his first child. Turns out, its his fifth, but he thought they should take the class because this is his first child with this particular woman. Also, he was not actually present for the births of the previous four, so figured he would stick around for this one.

I physically felt sick to my stomach as I looked around at the clean, educated married couples that waited until they had the means to support a child until conceiving, and Tommy, the illiterate, unemployed moron that is maybe 8 IQ points above being legally brain dead, who has out produced everyone else in the room COMBINED. Here is to you Tommy, for polluting the world with your second rate seed.

From what I've heard, people - illiterate people - have been having children for generations.

Pretty sure this fellow Tommy is nothing new. A bunch of generations ago I think there were a lot more of them around.

See, I think that on average people today are actually smarter than they used to be, but that through some bizarre combination of stupidity taking on the place of media spectacle and the outright self-righteousness of people who consider themselves above-average, it's come to the point where people are more likely to criticize the stupidity that, maybe a century and a half ago, may have simply been more average.

@searcy- point of my post is the observation that out of a random sampling of 10 adult humans, the one illiterate moron out of the group has out produced the other 9 adults, 8 of which were university graduates. Many of the couples in this class have had complications with their pregnancies, which is why they chose to enroll in the course (its kind of what people should do, as far as being prepared for the unexpected in new situations). My wife is a healthcare professional, and was more interested in the class from the perspective of an individual in the sector.

@mannic- yes, you are correct. That is the problem. You have to past a test to drive a car, you have to apply and jump through hoops to get a job, but you can go out and spread your seed at epic levels as long as you kind find another cockroach to breed with.

The entire premise of the film idiocracy, is that the "good stock" will put off reproducing until conditions are optimal for raising young. Meanwhile, the population with the least means to support a family are reproducing faster than rodents. The inevitable outcome is that the vast majority of the population will be bred from the worst stock. Its no secret, you breed a pair of thoroughbreds, you get a colt. Pair up a couple of mules, and you get an ***.

When you get down to brass tacks, we are animals. We're here to reproduce. This is what keeps us going, not jobs, driving tests or birthing classes. Female university graduates should try and start knocking them out while they're in their early/mid twenties instead of waiting another ten years until they're almost barren.

I do have sympathy for those who struggle to conceive, by the way.

Reproduction rates notwithstanding, stupid people are easier to control and are less likely to put up a stink when their rights are being carved up and abrogated. The purposeful cuts to funding for education, elimination of programs like Headstart, demonization of teachers and their unions are but a few examples of focused efforts by corporations and some politicians who are wholly owned by corporations to create a compliant, cheap, working class. Add to that the total abdication by parents of their responsibilities in raising their spawn and you have the perfect storm. The movie should have been a warning but it's too late.

Reproduction rates notwithstanding, stupid people are easier to control and are less likely to put up a stink when their rights are being carved up and abrogated. The purposeful cuts to funding for education, elimination of programs like Headstart, demonization of teachers and their unions are but a few examples of focused efforts by corporations and some politicians who are wholly owned by corporations to create a compliant, cheap, working class. Add to that the total abdication by parents of their responsibilities in raising their spawn and you have the perfect storm. The movie should have been a warning but it's too late.

Yes. The North won. The prize? Slavery for all, not just Africans.

rct

All you need to do to see what level of dumbing down is being catered to is to take a look at presidential candidates in the last 4 elections, any and all parties included. Truly a frightening array of intelligentsia. Never mind all the lower eschelons - congressmen, representatives, governors....

If this is the best we got to pick from we are in truly crocus indeed. [scared]

Archived