Gibson Brands Forums

People who use sooo many effects...I don't get it

swleary

Each to their own but I find too many effects annoying. I plug my SG in to my Keeley Fuzzhead and MXR noise gate then in to my Marshall with a little delay and reverb. That's about it however sometimes I overdrive the amp for Metallica stuff but that's as far as it goes.

Guess its the bass player in me, very content with my sound :)

I hear ya. I have around 25 pedals or so. I really like playing through them. I used to set up a board with maybe 8 different boxes on it (delay, phaser, octave, distortion/fuzz, etc). Lately my rig is this: Twiz >> SG/LP/V >> CBI Cable >> 5150. I don't even run through my Boss TU-2 anymore. I can understand the appeal of both, but there's something about just plugging and playing and not having to do the pedal dance when you're jamming.

I love too many effects. I even love them on my bass. This is a tune I did for fun that is all played on my Fender P bass. If it's not drums or voice is bass.

I also like a guitar straight into am amp too. Depends on what I'm trying to do.

Actually swleary the number of effects you use would be too many for some guys.

I have several pedals the one I use the most is my BBE Sonic Maximizer to ad clarity, reverb on the amp and sometimes delay.

I tell you what, I wish I was better playing with effects, it takes skill to use some effects wisely and make them sound good.

I say use the effects that fit the message you are trying to convey in the song.

In one song, you'll need no effects...on the next one, you may need seven thousand. If it works for the song, then go for it!! Just don't overuse any one effect and you're good is my thought...

Depends I guess. Some songs call for effects, some songs call for no effects and sound weird if you do the opposite. Lately I've been downsizing my pedals and mainly running two pedals, when I get back, that number will increase to about 5 and then I only plan on adding a phaser and another delay then I'm done

This pedal right here is great for the occasional use of modulation effects, all I need when it comes to chorus, flanger, phaser and vibe. I seldom use it but that just mean I saved money by not getting those effects by separate.

This thing is just right.

marrg1_0.jpg

This pedal right here is great for the occasional use of modulation effects, all I need when it comes to chorus, flanger, phaser and vibe. I seldom use it but that just mean I saved money by not getting those effects by separate.

This thing is just right.

marrg1_0.jpg

Great pedal. I did a review of that one.

I too, own lot's of pedals. But...I use only what's needed, for the song.

With what we do, beyond the turner pedal, I only need Overdrive, Compressor/Sustainer

(for the Ric 12-string), some Chorus (now and then), and the Boss Rotory pedal. I admit,

I do use 3 overdrives, set at different amounts of distortion, and tonal variations. But,

that's just because I don't want to have to reset one Overdrive, for different situations.

Don't know if that's being efficient, or just Lazy?! (Smile)

CB

I'm the same, CB, in terms of having a bunch of pedals but using only what's needed for the song. Since getting into low wattage tube amps, though, I've found myself really liking just plugging in and just relying on some overdrive. I still reach for the pedals from time to time as the situation demands, though, and I'm finally going to actually put a board together, more for purposes of having the stuff I use most often in one place and not having to root around on shelves when I need something.

It's probably because I really never use the "all in one" processors,

but those seem confusing, to me! With single pedals, I know what does

what, when, and where to go, to it. No "menus," or trying to decide

which variant, on a particular effect, to scroll to. [confused]

I know, I know..."Luddite!" LOL

CB

I have several effecst as listed below. I plug into all of them since they are on my boards. The ones I use the most are Chorus and compression for lead boost. Occasional delay and flanger depending on the song. As said before, if a song needs the effect, I use it.

I was never a big effects guy either. There are times though when some chorus, delay or wah wah might be needed. And times when a certain distortion sound just can't be achieved with the amps lead channel. I recently got rid of my Boss ME 50 in favor of a very modest stomp box collection. I think I just have a few more to go to complete it. :-"

I must say I don't usually care for tones that are too effected. I prefer the pure sound of guitar in to amp. I've seen local bands play where the guitar player used so many effects that I couldn't hear any difference when he switched guitars.

Each to their own but I find too many effects annoying. I plug my SG in to my Keeley Fuzzhead and MXR noise gate then in to my Marshall with a little delay and reverb. That's about it however sometimes I overdrive the amp for Metallica stuff but that's as far as it goes.

Guess its the bass player in me, very content with my sound :)

troll-pic-funny.jpg

It's like a Keyboard vs Piano. Some people really know how to get great inorganic sounds and make really cool music with a lot of effects. But at the end of the day I'd rather hear a Piano or a Hammond B3, something with a more "Organic" sound. Same with guitar, I love to hear a guy like Alex Lifeson get all Flangy and Echoy, but I'd rather hear my guitar make a more organic sound.

I use my Keeley Fuzzhead just to boost of needed. Lately I've been running just clean however I do like to really overdrive the amp then boost with the keeley. I've been really playing a lot of melo blues and jazz lately so overdrive just don't work for me right now. Ok I lie, for blues I use a nice warm overdrive tone just to get that SRV sound lol.

STEVE---are you jealous lol

Everything fits somewhere along the grand spectrum of sound. Take the single best song you have ever heard, the one that is your all-time favorite, your "number one," at the top of your list, etc. Of all the remakes that could be possible, there can exist someone who can make a version which speaks even louder to your heart than the original, be it with a myriad of added sounds (effects, harmonics, vocal harmonies, overtones, etc.) or by stripping it bare and using a minimum of acoustic instruments and/or vocals. It could always go either way. Music always evokes some emotion or another, and there are some people that can accurately express emotion to its fullest extent with a minimum of sound, and there are others that try to intensify that emotion by manipulating sound in different ways. There have been some songs with nothing more than a piano and a single vocal that have left me emotionally drained and songs that have contained a multitude of electronic harmonics and overtones with five-part vocal harmonies that have left me the same way.

That's just my take on the subject.

How many effects is too many is subjective.

Personally, I have lots of dirt boxes... I seldom use more than one or 2 at a time, often I'll just go direct. But I like to option to be there when I want it.

Someone mentioned that sometimes you can use no effects on a song and then use a tone of effects on another and to only use them when the song calls for it.

The guy with a ton of effects in his pedalboard simply has more choices as to what he's going to do. The guy who knows how to use effects to enhence the song is the guy who either takes an over the top sound and makes something musical with it or just uses enough effect to make the part he's playing stand out.

Years ago, a guitarist in another band that was sharing the billing for a gig we'd played for charity commented on how my use of effects was very tasteful. It was one of my first ever gigs and he'd pointed out that most of my effects use was very subtle with the exception of a few parts where I was trying to make the guitar stand out from the rhythm guitars or I was playing off the effect (like harmonizing with the repeats of a delay or creating a rhythmic soundscape with delay along the lines of U2 or Pink Floyd). He expected someone with as little experience as I'd had at the time to hide behind the effects instead of using them to in subtle ways or in ways that either drew attention to myself or required precision to get the desired result.

It's something that I felt was natural to me, but something that came from experimentation and only introducing an effect to my live rig after finding a practical application for it.

Archived