Gibson Brands Forums

classic songs you CAN'T stand anymore...

S t e v e

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

My top two, for being over-played on radio and by bar bands are:

Mustang Sally

Gimme Three Steps

I used to have to play Mustang Sally five nights a week, and sometimes twice a night. Come to think of it, I can no longer stand to listen to most of the songs I had to play in that band (Stax/Motown revue band). Nothing like playing the same 30 songs every night to make you get REALLY sick of them.

We're sick of them, because these so-called "Classic Radio" stations,

play the same damn songs, over and over, all day long! I get sick of

ANY song, that's played that much. There were a LOT of great songs,

that might now be considered "Classic Rock." Most, you rarely hear.

It's one reason, I don't listen to "radio" anymore...along with the

commericals, that is. :angry:

CB

So long as I don't have to play "Na, Na, Hey, Hey, Kiss Him Goodbye" ever again I'll be ok. Something about being in the High School Band and playing awful arrangements of "Popular" songs numbs that part of the brain that burns out on repetition. I can't even watch Basketball because every time someone makes a basket "Na, Na, Hey Hey, Kiss Him Goodbye" triggers in my head [cursing]. We had to play that for every basket made, and some high school basket ball games can have dozens of baskets made before the end of the night.

I don't think I can burn out on good songs, whether it's "Sweet Home" or "Sweet Child", so long as it's not an "Arrangement for Marching Band", I'm good!!

Funny thing, I never burned out on John Philip Sousa or anything written for band, but I cannot hear another Pop Tune arranged for band. [scared]

You Really Got Me ( I'll never get tired of the Kinks version, but the VH verson leaves a lot to be desired, IMHO. AND I'M A VAN HALEN-and Hagar, yes laugh all you wish-FAN FOR LIFE!!! ), any Def Leppard song other than the High n' Dry stuff or my fav: fffffffFOOLIN!!! Otherwise, any Nirvana, Pearl Jam ( except for the Ten stuff ), TNT, DIrty Deeds, Highway To Hell, Angie, Nights in White Satin, Green Tambourine, Enter Sandman ( well, any post-Justice Metallica ), AND A HELL OF A LOT MORE!!!!! Oh, and Sweet Home Alabama...

Back before the format "Classic Rock" came about, it was termed "Album Rock" (or AOR), and they rarely overplayed any song. Album rock was very broad based as they played anything from Firefall to Judas Priest, Dan Fogelberg to Molly Hatchet, Little River Band to Iron Maiden and everything else in between. The main problem with the Classic Rock format is they omit so many good songs that Album Rock formats played in order to play their selected same songs in a rotation.

So long as I don't have to play "Na, Na, Hey, Hey, Kiss Him Goodbye" ever again I'll be ok. Something about being in the High School Band and playing awful arrangements of "Popular" songs numbs that part of the brain that burns out on repetition. I can't even watch Basketball because every time someone makes a basket "Na, Na, Hey Hey, Kiss Him Goodbye" triggers in my head [cursing]. We had to play that for every basket made, and some high school basket ball games can have dozens of baskets made before the end of the night.

I don't think I can burn out on good songs, whether it's "Sweet Home" or "Sweet Child", so long as it's not an "Arrangement for Marching Band", I'm good!!

Funny thing, I never burned out on John Philip Sousa or anything written for band, but I cannot hear another Pop Tune arranged for band. [scared]

I was very lucky, I guess, to have been in high school marching band before pop music infused itself. I graduated in '64. The Beatles had just arrived. The "pop" we played was stuff like musicals or pre-rock popular music. I feel for you. That's probably the best reason for hating a song.

John Philip Sousa was a genius, by the way.

There are quite a few that I've heard enough to last me a long time. Some already mentioned (namely Bohemian Rhapsodhy). Another one that comes to mind "Bye Bye Miss American Pie".

American Pie has made me change the station many-a times. Cats in The Cradle and Brown Eyed Girl are a couple of others.

Archived