Gibson Brands Forums

Randy Rhoads...overated?

S t e v e

• Replies 103
  • Created
  • Last Reply

i know i posted about buckethead earlier but another player i don't get is randy rhoads, imo he is very overated...your thoughts? :-k

My thoughts..... hmmmmm

The reason you dont get "Randy Rhoads" is because you're not quite there as a player yet.

No he is not.

I saw Randy in Atlanta at his second to last show. He only did one more show before his death.

I was at the front of the stage.

If you had been there with me you wouldn't even be asking such a question.

Don't start with me man. Last year you were complaining about Hendrix, whats next, Duane Allman? Just because they're dead doesn't mean they sound dead. Geesh. Steve, I love ya (in a forum bro kinda way. To quote Alex Lifeson: We love you, but...NOT IN THAT WAY.), but in all earnest you seem to be snowblind to great guitarists, yet your favorite is Gary Moore.

i don't get it, someone explain it to me...explain buckethead to me.

it is really straightforward. He plays the guitar for a living. People either like his stuff, buy his toons and go and see him, or they don't. He seems to make a living. What else do you need explained?

it is really straightforward. He plays the guitar for a living. People either like his stuff, buy his toons and go and see him, or they don't. He seems to make a living. What else do you need explained?

ps. it is ok to not like him. Don't worry about it. I am sure that he does not worry about it either.

I thought I'd give this "trolling" thing a try. [flapper]

Gary's songs are very generic. He was certainly a great player but his solos are all speed and volume with little relevance to the song. When he does hold a note it seems like he's just trying to prove how good his guitar can sustain.

Of course this is just my opinion. :rolleyes:

Gary's songs are very generic. He was certainly a great player but his solos are all speed and volume with little relevance to the song. When he does hold a note it seems like he's just trying to prove how good his guitar can sustain.

I can't imagine who this aimed at!!

Good trolling!!

An opinion to the masses,Randy Rhodes is/was not overrated,even if ya dont like that "type" of rock or ozzy.I think Randy was one of the first to blend hard overdriven guitar with a classical type of playin,to me,his tone and the way he played the songs made every guitar player ask wtf is that? Then there's the lead work,imo he didnt "shred" as much as buckethead,ill say the same thing someone said about ace in that thread,there was a "melody" to randys leads,so much you could sing the lead out loud.His lead work on "over the mountain" and "mr. crowley" "flyin high again" etc.those leads are melodic,tastefully fast arpeggios amongst other riffs placed inbetween the "melody"of the lead.I havent heard anyone do it like Randy since,and i love Vai,Satch,and Eric Johnson <would be the 3 i compare to that level of player>.But as we all know in forums,opinions are like hiney holes,there are different genres,even if we all liked rock the best,then theres the debate of which era had the better players.Im not gonna try to say Randy was better than any of your lifetime idols,its all in the ear of the listener,and in my ears,there are none greater than Randy Rhodes /lifts mug of ale cheers. I know some guys that swear Eric Clapton's the greatest,other swear by SRV,its all in what ya like imo. [thumbup]

And yours has been merged with hill of......

Randy Rhodes would take classical lessons every chance he could. He had unbelievable talent and used his musical training to take his playing to higher levels. To me he's the ultimate example of a true musician. I never considered him a shredder, but more like a modern-day Mozart.

Randy Rhoads wrote riffs and songs in a way that gave the world something it didn't have before him. He made that heavy guitar sound more accessible to the masses by making beautiful music, AND kicked up the heavy a notch.

He did this not just through talent, but by an attitude. He gave of his abilities and talents freely, and gave of himself freely. He was a good guy, a class act.

By contrast, GARY MOORE was quite selfish. That guitar he was so proud of and practically given to him by his idol when he quit music had a big impact on him, but when Peter Green decided to play music again and asked for it back, Moore refused. And, apparently that was part of the deal when he got it. If that isn't enough, when another famous guitarist who had his famous guitar stolen surfaced in Gary's collection, he refused to give that guitar to him or even consider helping him in any way.

To me, this speaks volumes about him as a fellow musician and as a man.

I'm glad I found a place to say this. I know it's a bunch of crap.

Steve

I merged your "I don't get it" threads in to one big hill of crap, so that nobody will need to clean thier shoes. [thumbup]

Duanus, why do you still have the capability to plus yourself up. Dude, keep us off your bizarre cloud, it very lonely. [sneaky]

I love Buckethead. the mask and bucket are a part of the show - he plays a character, much like Alice Cooper or Kiss. Also, since he is somewhat of an introvert, it allows him to go about his daily life in public without getting mobbed.

Sure, he doesn't need the gimmick side of the Buckethead character; but it's cool in my opinion because it is different.

As for Buckethead's music - either you get it or you don't, much like Frank Zappa or Primus.

Archived